LGK 2.0 Preview!

HT1278

Re: LGK 2.0 Preview!
« Reply #80 on: 9 Apr 2022, 04:40 pm »
Appreciate all of the great information.   FYI  I went ahead and ordered an Emotiva TA1.

I found out that there is a filter than will allow at 90 Hz and below, to stop sending to main speakers and to only send to sub, I liked that a lot.

I was considing an Outlaw RR2160, but it is a bit complicated for my kids.
 needs. Getting the adult kids LGK 2.0's, and an Emotiva TA1 each.  Kids are 19 yo and 21 yo, think it will be a good hifi start for them.   

stephenmeade

« Reply #81 on: 10 Apr 2022, 11:29 pm »
What are the current shipping times for the kits?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #82 on: 11 Apr 2022, 03:19 am »
What are the current shipping times for the kits?

We're currently out of the tiny inductors for the kit. they should arrive by the end of this week according to Solen. Once that order arrives we should be able to get all of the current LGK kits out.
We blew through the stock we had pretty quickly.

Out new US-based inductor manufacturer should be online by the end of the month and they'll mass stock us on thousands of coils, ranging from 0.07 to 15mH, so we shouldn't be seeing any delays on that front going forward.
it can't happen soon enough..
« Last Edit: 11 Apr 2022, 05:31 pm by Hobbsmeerkat »

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #83 on: 11 Apr 2022, 04:15 pm »
We're currently out of the tiny inductors for the kit. they should arrive by the end of this week according to Solen. Once that order arrives we should be able to get all of the current LGK kits out.
We blew through the stock we had pretty quickly.

Out new US-based inductor manufacturer should be online by the end of the month and they'll mass stock us on thousands of coils, ranging from 0.07 to 15mH, so we shouldn't be seeing any delays on that front going forward.
it can happen soon enough..

Will you be able to get foil inductors from them as well?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #84 on: 11 Apr 2022, 05:31 pm »
Will you be able to get foil inductors from them as well?

Eventually, yes that is the plan

michaelagiles

« Reply #85 on: 13 Apr 2022, 04:24 pm »
Gentlemen,
I am new to this forum so i cannot search for the info I am looking for so forgive me if I repeat what has already been answered.
I built a pair of OB speakers using the basic concept of the PASS slot loaded bass driver with a full range driver mounted on an open baffle. Woofer is an 8" and the FR is a MarkAudio P7 HD. Crossover is active using the circuit in the PASS SLOB article but with the baffle step level adjustable with a pot. So Xover is second order 80hz low pass with hi-q 20hz high pass giving some boost at 20-40hz and 160hz high pass with baffle step correction at 1khz. I am very happy with these but my audiophilia nervosa condition spurs me on!
The LGK 2.0 looks like it might be ideal for this type of application and as I was already planning Ver 2.0 of this design I am considering giving the LGK's a try.
Any comments or suggestions?
Thanks!
MG

E-Zee

• Industry Participant
    • Diy speaker resources and crossover assembly services
« Reply #86 on: 2 May 2022, 05:29 am »
Since LGK 2.0 kits are currently shiping and hopefully selling well, I'll add a couple LGK 2.0 crossover photos here in case they are helpful to anyone building this design.   

The board size for this assembly is 3" x 4.75".  It is crowded and therefore requires some careful planning.

As with any crossover, there are generally multiple layouts that can work.  Hobbs' layout earlier on this thread is less crowded and likely easier to assemble (photo on page 2, layout diagram on page 4) but I'm simply showing another option.

As a general rule, my preference is always to lay down the largest inductor and stand up the smaller one.  Having the large one laying down makes it more stable, and decreases the chance of its height causing physical interference inside cabinet with a driver or binding post.

Similarly, I prefer to avoid stacking capacitors or resistors on-top of inductors.  There is no harm in doing so, but I avoid it unless it's necessary.  Just a personal preference.  For this speaker, laying down the larger inductor meant stacking components. 
Since the larger inductor is still comparatively small, I stood it up which gave room for everything else to lay flat on board. That doesn't mean one method is better than the other, it was just my choice at that moment.  Who knows, next time I build a pair I may stack components instead. 

The few finished LGK 2.0 cabinets I have seen look very nice.  I'm very much a fan of small form factor designs.  The boards in the photo above aren't mine and were shipped to a customer.  Unfortunately, I can't comment on LGK 2.0 sound signature or performance, but I do hope to have a chance to hear some in person. 

Good luck and lots of enjoyment for anyone else building this set.

Elon

elon@ezeescrossovers.com

HT1278

« Reply #87 on: 5 May 2022, 03:33 pm »
Elon made the crossovers in these and they were perfect!  Beautiful, and incredible work!

Here is a photo of the LGK 2.0's all setup!

Using a Emotiva TA1 receiver/amp, and Monoprice speaker stands, so happy to see actual hardwood when opening the speaker stand packing.

hifters1

« Reply #88 on: 9 May 2022, 10:58 pm »
How thick of material is required? I know the LGK 1.0s specked.5” thickness. The flat packs look a bit thicker material.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #89 on: 10 May 2022, 01:05 am »
How thick of material is required? I know the LGK 1.0s specked.5” thickness. The flat packs look a bit thicker material.

3/4" thick

MarkShields

« Reply #90 on: 10 May 2022, 07:05 pm »
I am working on my LGK build and will use with my desktop PC.  Looking at possibly one of the Schiit devices for the DAC.  What about an amp?  I won’t be using headphones.  I don’t see much of anything regarding an amp for desktop without a headphone plugin.  Does anyone have recommendations for DAC and amp for PC that will pair well with the LGK?  Thanks.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #91 on: 10 May 2022, 11:16 pm »
I am working on my LGK build and will use with my desktop PC.  Looking at possibly one of the Schiit devices for the DAC.  What about an amp?  I won’t be using headphones.  I don’t see much of anything regarding an amp for desktop without a headphone plugin.  Does anyone have recommendations for DAC and amp for PC that will pair well with the LGK?  Thanks.

I use a Pioneer network audio player (streamer/DAC) and a Rotel RA-12 amp with my LGK 1.0s.

For an all Schiit system you can add either a Vidar or Aegir to which ever DAC you choose.

My recommendation for a one box option is the PS Audio Sprout  https://www.psaudio.com/products/sprout100-integrated-amplifier/  . This is an $800 complete option though you can trade in gear and get up to 30% off bringing the Sprout to $560.

The reality is that since you will be sitting arm's length away from the LGKs, you can power them with any amp you wish. In a desktop setup they will never need more than a fraction of a watt.

MarkShields

« Reply #92 on: 11 May 2022, 07:16 pm »
Mlundy,

Thanks, I had been looking at the sprout100 a bit.  So might to with that one.

"In a desktop setup they will never need more than a fraction of a watt."
Not sure i understand this.  Could you expand on this a bit...thanks.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #93 on: 12 May 2022, 12:09 am »
Mlundy,

Thanks, I had been looking at the sprout100 a bit.  So might to with that one.

"In a desktop setup they will never need more than a fraction of a watt."
Not sure i understand this.  Could you expand on this a bit...thanks.

The LGK 2.0 is 84dB efficient. That means one speaker produces an SPL of 84dB at 1 meter from the driver with 1 watt of power. In a desktop setup you won't likely be siting more than 1 meter away from the speaker. In my setup, my ears are 32" from the speakers. That's about 7" closer than 1 meter. But I'll pretend I'm sitting 1 meter from the speakers to make the calculations easy.

At 1 watt, The sound level reaching my ear is 84dB. I don't know about you, but for me that is close to where I want peak sound levels to be when I;m listening to music. I prefer an average level of 72dB. A reduction of 3dB requires 1/2 the power. so if 1 watt produces 84dB, 1/2 watt would produce 81dB, 1/4 watt would equal 78dB, 1/8 watt = 75dB, and 1/16 watt would provide 72dB. For my normal listening level I would need 1/16 watt. But that's only for one speaker. Adding the second speaker increases the output by 6dB. So two speakers, both getting 1/16 watt will produce 78dB. to get the total sound level back to 72dB, less power is needed. With both speakers playing 1/32 watt will provide 75dB while 1/64 (0.016) watt will provide the desired 72dB.

That's for normal music listening. At my desk, I working so the music is actually playing much softer than 72dB which requires even less power. Since I would find a level of 84dB very distracting when trying to work, I would never come close to needing a whole watt so only a fraction of a watt is ever needed. Which is why I said any speaker amp you want to use will provide enough power for the LGKs in a desktop system.

Sit farther away from the speakers and things change. Each doubling of the distance from the speakers reduces SPL by 6dB. If you were to sit 2 meters from the speakers instead of 1, you would need four times the power to reach the same SPL.

la80vette

« Reply #94 on: 17 Jun 2022, 01:58 pm »
I could use a little help please. This is my first time trying to assemble a crossover/filter.
On page 2, in Hobb's filter photo and diagram it shows the small cap after the small inductor. In the schematic I received, the cap is before the inductor.
Which is correct? Does it matter?
Thanks,
Stephen

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #95 on: 17 Jun 2022, 02:53 pm »
Both are correct. Either way will work just fine.

E-Zee

• Industry Participant
    • Diy speaker resources and crossover assembly services
« Reply #96 on: 17 Jun 2022, 03:02 pm »
Mike Lundy.   Your explanation of SPL output / Watt usage is very concise, understandable,  and well outlined.   Thank you. 

la80vette

« Reply #97 on: 17 Jun 2022, 03:08 pm »
Thank you.

la80vette

« Reply #98 on: 17 Jun 2022, 05:19 pm »
Well, I think I just screwed up my first filter assembly.
I strung all the parts together and began to solder. The inductors weren't solder well, then I realize there is a coating on the inductor wire.
I tried to remove the solder and start over but that's not really working. What should I try?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #99 on: 17 Jun 2022, 05:33 pm »
A razor or scissor blade is usually the easiest eay to scrape the enamel coating off of the inductors and to expose the copper underneath