Inexpensive HDMI cable

Tom Bombadil

Inexpensive HDMI cable
« on: 17 Feb 2022, 08:02 pm »
I know this is a common topic but wanted to put in my 2 cents from a recent comparison

I rounded up a few HDMI cables to compare both video and audio performance.  Used them between my 4K Bluray player, 4K Roku streamer and a PC with an nVidia graphics card to my 4K Vizio P-series TV and my 4K ASUS PC monitor.  Speakers used were Focal Aria 906 (now $2200/pair). 

Cables used were an AudioQuest Cinnamon ($150) , Pangea Silver Plate Cardas Copper ($50) , Monster M-Series 2000 ($35), Monoprice 4K High Speed ($8) and a throw-in that came with my TV. 

Played some 4K Bluray titles, streamed TIDAL audio, some PC games from Steam. 

Cutting to the chase ... all four cables above the throw-in performed identically as far as I could discern.  Even the throw-in did okay most of the time but images seemed a bit fuzzier and audio sounded more compressed / flat. 

The cable that really impressed me was the $8 Monoprice.  Well made, thick cable, ferrite filters.  No shortcomings at all. 

WGH

Re: Inexpensive HDMI cable
« Reply #1 on: 17 Feb 2022, 08:20 pm »
The cable that really impressed me was the $8 Monoprice.  Well made, thick cable, ferrite filters.  No shortcomings at all.

Monoprice has been my go-to place for basic cables and 100' rolls of in-ceiling wire for forever.  :thumb:

When my old no-name HDMI cable came apart at the plug just before that evenings movie night I had no choice but to go to Ace Hardware and spend $30 for a Monster, that hurt because I knew I was being ripped off. The new thin cable design is a lot easier to fish thru a wall than the old fat wire with ferrite it replaced and works perfectly too.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #2 on: 17 Feb 2022, 08:28 pm »
Don't go too cheap on HDMI cables as if they are not fully up to spec, you won't be able to get longer runs to work.  Shorter runs seem to be more forgiving.

Philistine

« Reply #3 on: 17 Feb 2022, 10:13 pm »
I had Ken Whitcomb install and calibrate a Lumagen Radiance Pro video processor in my home theater last year, Ken is a highly respected calibrater who hangs out on the AVS forum.  Ken interacts with Jim Peterson from Lumagen on support issues and frequently issues are resolved by using higher speed HDMI cables.  I have a 25ft HDMI cable between the processor and projector, we had some handshake/image issues and it was recommended that I replace the cable with a brand that Lumagen had found to work very well.  I've since replaced other HDMI cables with the same brand, RUIPRO, and they're not expensive - $14 for 2M. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08QTNNRS4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

nature boy

« Reply #4 on: 18 Feb 2022, 12:06 am »
Monoprice has many high quality, inexpensive cables +1.

NB

djbnh

« Reply #5 on: 18 Feb 2022, 11:25 am »
I'm interested in this thread re: I2S use of the aforementioned / other inexpensive HDMI cables. Please opine if you've used some / your results. FYI - I'm using the Denafrips Pontus II DAC's I2S input fed by a NuPrime CDT-10 transport with a 0.75M stock I2S cable - I don't want to use a longer I2S cable.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #6 on: 18 Feb 2022, 12:23 pm »
Monoprice has many high quality, inexpensive cables +1.

NB

Totally agree.

I am updating my HT and I am using their 8k cables.  Here is their description:

SlimRun™ AV Dynamic HDR 8K Ultra High Speed HDMI® Cables are the next generation in active optical cable systems. With support for resolutions up to 8K@120Hz and 48Gbps bandwidth, this future‑proofed cable just might be the last HDMI cable you'll ever need. Using optical fiber to replace copper wire as the high‑speed signal transmission medium, SlimRun can perfectly transmit 8K@120Hz HDR video to distances up to 100 meters. Compared with traditional copper wire cables, SlimRun AV HDR is not only longer, softer, and slimmer, but also offers better signal quality, without the need for external power. This cable complies with the HDMI 2.1 standard, which makes it compatible with the latest hardware, including the PlayStation® 5, PlayStation® 5 Digital Edition, Xbox Series X™, and Xbox Series S™.

George

Craig B

« Reply #7 on: 18 Feb 2022, 12:34 pm »
I've been very happy with the DH Labs SilverSonic HDMI 2.1, though I should add I use it only for audio (I2S from my SACD trasnport to my DAC). It starts at $95 for a one-meter run. I paid $135 for a meter and a half.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #8 on: 18 Feb 2022, 02:31 pm »
another vote for Monoprice

Tyson

« Reply #9 on: 18 Feb 2022, 04:00 pm »
another vote for Monoprice

Yep, agreed - Monoprice is not the cheapest but it is excellent quality.  I use some very long runs of it in my HT running from the front of my room where my 4k BluRay player is and my Roku Ultra streamer to be back of my room into my JVC NX7 projector, which can be a bit fussy with signal lock.  Monoprice was the cheapest cable that actually worked in my setup.

Tom Bombadil

« Reply #10 on: 19 Feb 2022, 11:27 pm »
Wandering off topic a bit ...

I also tested a $3 Monoprice 15' USB cable to connect my PC to a high-end DAC.   I expected to hear degraded sonics, maybe clicks and pops, or perhaps even no sound at all.  15' is a long run to a DAC and some inexpensive "printer" cables won't connect at all.

To my surprise it works seemingly perfectly. 

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #11 on: 24 Feb 2022, 06:51 pm »
<Deleted>

George

djbnh

« Reply #13 on: 7 Mar 2022, 07:13 pm »
Yep, agreed - Monoprice is not the cheapest but it is excellent quality.  I use some very long runs of it in my HT running from the front of my room where my 4k BluRay player is and my Roku Ultra streamer to be back of my room into my JVC NX7 projector, which can be a bit fussy with signal lock.  Monoprice was the cheapest cable that actually worked in my setup.

Tyson, do you have an opinion on how long it takes the Monoprice cable to burn-in? I'm trying a run of the Monoprice 8K No Logo Ultra High Speed HDMI Cable - 1.5 Feet - between my transport and DAC. Sounded like complete cr@p out of the package. Still doesn't sound good after a few days running 24/7 using the Isotek Full System Enhancer CD.

Tyson

« Reply #14 on: 7 Mar 2022, 08:36 pm »
Tyson, do you have an opinion on how long it takes the Monoprice cable to burn-in? I'm trying a run of the Monoprice 8K No Logo Ultra High Speed HDMI Cable - 1.5 Feet - between my transport and DAC. Sounded like complete cr@p out of the package. Still doesn't sound good after a few days running 24/7 using the Isotek Full System Enhancer CD.

Oh I only use it for video as I have a source with optical out for my stereo setup. 

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #15 on: 7 Mar 2022, 11:45 pm »
I ran into misery trying to find an HDMI cable to run from my Nad M17V2 to my projector. I had to test many as the cable was to be buried in the ceiling.

I bought Monoprice's best. It was this model?

Monoprice 4K Braided High Speed HDMI Cable 35ft - CL3 In Wall Rated 18Gbps Active Gray, Monoprice Access Series 12AWG CL2 Rated 2-Conductor Speaker Wire, 50ft, White

It didn't work.

I ended up with another Monoprice HDMI for $36. It works fine, I think. I say that because of all the ongoing issues getting a signal to my projector. Solid when only one device is connected to my HT receiver. At this point, I blame the NAD.

Years ago I was testing HDMI cables for audio. I had an Audioquest Cinnamon, I believe, 2 generic's and then while at Fry's electronics, I impulsively bought a Monster Cable HDMI, maybe the best Fry's carried for ~$200 bucks. Funny because I'm not a fan of Monster cables but... it looked nice.

Cut to the finish, The Audioquest sounded horrible, thin, flat 2 dimensional, unlistenable. Maybe it needed a long break-in?
 The generic cables worked fine. The Monster cable was a clear winner for audio in my system! I had to go back several times as I couldn't believe the results. I still have that cable (in my HT setup) :thumb:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #16 on: 8 Mar 2022, 12:46 pm »
Sat thru a lecture by Earl Geddes on his efforts to setup a 4K projector A/V system.  His biggest headache was not realizing that the HDMI cable was directional.  Hope you know that.

djbnh

« Reply #17 on: 8 Mar 2022, 02:11 pm »
Sat thru a lecture by Earl Geddes on his efforts to setup a 4K projector A/V system.  His biggest headache was not realizing that the HDMI cable was directional.  Hope you know that.
Not sure if all HDMI cables are directional. Some are / aren't per the following article: https://thehometheaterdiy.com/directional-hdmi-cables/.

I used to use Redmere cables and I know they were directional.

Tom Bombadil

« Reply #18 on: 9 Mar 2022, 04:09 am »

Most HDMI cables are bi-directional.   There are some which are designed to be directional.   If it is directional then there should be some kind of directional symbol or label on it.

Cheytak.408

• Restricted
« Reply #19 on: 9 Mar 2022, 06:48 am »
No matter which cable you determine to be "the best", directional or not, you can improve the performance by simply removing the external plastic jacket... and the bulk molded plastic ends. 

Electrical propagation has been misunderstood by a vast majority of engineers and lay people since the initial "current flows... bumps into... whatever" explanations we were given in high school, under grad and post grad courses for years.  Theoretical physicists have known for years that that view is simplistic at best.  Quantum mechanics in the field of electrics has made some interesting observations in the last few years.

Here is an interesting piece on electrical propagation concerning field propagation vs. the current flow model:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHIhgxav9LY

Think about electrical propagation theory from years ago when we were taught the current flowed from Negative to Positive only to find out that energy actually flows from Positive to Negative.  That is why a short circuit will get your attention.

What does this have to do with the insulation on a signal cable?  Energy in an HDMI or any other line level is very small.  The dielectric absorption of jacketing material has a proportionally HUGE influence on energy propagation.  Remove the dielectric and you remove the aspects of propagation impedance and, more importantly, ringing caused by the DA of the plastics that make cables pretty.

Buy the most praised HDMI cable.  Break it in (yeah, I know) then turn it around in circuit to determine directionality... a real thing... then, very carefully use a razor blade or new utility knife blade to remove as much of the jacket and molded ends that you can.  To insure that there will be no ground/shield issues, carefully insulate any points of contact between the nude cable and any other gear.  I use white TechFlex.  Teflon plumbers tape works well, but only use as much as needed to prevent contact with any other gear.  It is best to use none.  Do NOT use black.  That pigment is either an iron derived material or a conductive copper oxide.  Again:  yeah, I know 🙄

Do this.  Give it a listen (both ways) and get back to us.

Inquiring minds want to know!  No, really!