More Amazing DACs for Peanuts

wushuliu

Re: More Amazing DACs for Peanuts
« Reply #560 on: 4 Jan 2022, 09:32 pm »
Coda: The little PCM56 black box is the real deal. After going down more rabbit holes I think I understand why it sounds as good as it does with so few parts. This is a clever little chip and the designer of this unit took a road less traveled.

This is it for DAC reviews until I get my 2 channel setup back in operation. In the meantime I'll be (re)exploring these old R2Rs; fitting as one of the first dacs I ever wrote about here was an AD1865 diy board back when I was still very new to the hobby. Now I have a Parasound D/AC 1100 on the way...
« Last Edit: 7 Jan 2022, 09:35 pm by wushuliu »

Mortsnets

« Reply #561 on: 7 Jan 2022, 04:42 am »
Ordered the Updated Yi Fan 4.4 HIFI Micro PCM56 R2R DAC.  For a (DC 18~24V, 5.5x2.1MM) power supply will the following work:
https://www.amazon.com/Decumoor-Adapter-5-5X2-1mm-Connector-Compatible/dp/B08B1HXCPF

tull skull

• I can't send hare in search of anything!
« Reply #562 on: 7 Jan 2022, 05:09 am »
I love you Wushu! You always make C and C so fun and  interesting. Like watching a prospector digging for gold :)

wushuliu

« Reply #563 on: 7 Jan 2022, 06:43 am »
Ordered the Updated Yi Fan 4.4 HIFI Micro PCM56 R2R DAC.  For a (DC 18~24V, 5.5x2.1MM) power supply will the following work:
https://www.amazon.com/Decumoor-Adapter-5-5X2-1mm-Connector-Compatible/dp/B08B1HXCPF

That should work, but since the dac uses barely any current a 1A supply would also work and probably cheaper. Even just 500mA should suffice.

wushuliu

« Reply #564 on: 7 Jan 2022, 06:44 am »
I love you Wushu! You always make C and C so fun and  interesting. Like watching a prospector digging for gold :)

:thumb:

skrstc

« Reply #565 on: 17 Jan 2022, 01:07 pm »
Hi Wushuliu what USB/SPDIF converter did you used? Suggestions?

wushuliu

« Reply #566 on: 27 Jan 2022, 01:32 am »
Hi Wushuliu what USB/SPDIF converter did you used? Suggestions?

Sorry, missed the post. I was just using the cheap $20 Signstek DAC, which also works as a USB/SPDIF converter. I have a much more expensive unit on the way to try out designed by the team Denafrips use/used for their DACs.

skrstc

« Reply #567 on: 27 Jan 2022, 04:12 pm »

wushuliu

« Reply #568 on: 27 Jan 2022, 06:47 pm »
https://youtu.be/ISLN9u1QOgo

For those who maybe want some context rather than click on some random YouTube link, it's a Hans Beekhuyzen review of an ultracheap DAC he found to sound surprisingly good. His looks like this:

It's 24/192khz capable and uses a CS4344 dac chip. Hans finds that it punches far above its weight, even up to some $1k Dacs IIRC. He's a pretty conservative guy on recommendations, so that's a strong rec coming from him.

I haven't had a chance to check it out yet. Part of the issue is that this type of dac is sold under many names and changes components all the time; some out there may look the same on the outside but the internal components will be different. So unless you have the exact one Hans used don't assume that what you get will be the same and you might want to open take a peek inside to verify.

charmerci

« Reply #569 on: 28 Jan 2022, 01:10 am »
Sorry, missed the post. I was just using the cheap $20 Signstek DAC, which also works as a USB/SPDIF converter. I have a much more expensive unit on the way to try out designed by the team Denafrips use/used for their DACs.

I've had the Signstek DAC/converter. Getting an XMOS XU208 converter/DAC for a little bit more (about $50) sounds a bit better.

skrstc

« Reply #570 on: 11 Feb 2022, 07:58 am »
PCM56 little black box is really good soundding DAC. Wushuliu thanks.

wushuliu

« Reply #571 on: 11 Feb 2022, 10:20 pm »
PCM56 little black box is really good soundding DAC. Wushuliu thanks.

You're welcome! 8)

Simon

« Reply #572 on: 8 Mar 2022, 06:17 pm »
Running the Topping E30 and noticed the difference/improvement over the DAC in my Outlaw pre amp. With the Topping the soundstage felt more open and detailed.

rlfortson

« Reply #573 on: 9 Mar 2022, 04:45 am »
Have both the Topping E30 and the E50.  The E30 was just OK, nothing special.  The E50 was on a whole other level.  Like others have noticed, the bass was tighter and more impactful.  Very smooth sounding DAC but with plenty of detail.  But the number of new DACs coming onto the market is mind boggling.  Hard to even keep up anymore!

My current favorite DAC is the iFi ZEN Signature V2.  Compared to the E50, it seems to not be quite as smooth but has even more detail and a huge soundstage.  However, I'm using it on Tidal Master Edition with MQA and it is a full rendering MAQ DAC so I'm sure that is also part of the sound profile difference.  The Topping E50 also does full MQA put just doesn't sound as detailed as the ZEN Signature DAC to my ears.  Frankly, I'm surprised that DACs sound so different as I had been told that DACs all pretty much sound the same unless you go way up the price scale.  Not my experience.

navi

« Reply #574 on: 10 Mar 2022, 06:46 am »
I bought the PCM56 DAC and had a 24v SMPS lying around that i have used for it. I have to say so far it's been good.Compared to the Topping D50 the PCM56 has a bit more texture in the bass and mids. Sure the D50 is quieter and instrument separation is better but the PCM56 just has a more enjoyable bass and mids.

I would be tempted to change the blue capacitor between the DAC chip and RCA outs.

I will continue doing comparisons over next few weeks

System:
MACBOOK Pro >Douk audio USB to SPDIF converter>>PCM56 DAC >>Tag McLaren F3 integrated amp>> Whatmough 202i lead lined Monitors.

wushuliu

« Reply #575 on: 30 Oct 2022, 01:24 am »
I bought the PCM56 DAC and had a 24v SMPS lying around that i have used for it. I have to say so far it's been good.Compared to the Topping D50 the PCM56 has a bit more texture in the bass and mids. Sure the D50 is quieter and instrument separation is better but the PCM56 just has a more enjoyable bass and mids.

I would be tempted to change the blue capacitor between the DAC chip and RCA outs.

I will continue doing comparisons over next few weeks

System:
MACBOOK Pro >Douk audio USB to SPDIF converter>>PCM56 DAC >>Tag McLaren F3 integrated amp>> Whatmough 202i lead lined Monitors.

Lot of life changes in the past year but I've had some time lately to get back to music. New setup and adjusting best as I can. Fired up the little PCM56 and it remains a satisfying listen. Yes definitely the separation is poor. It's more like the older AKM chip 'wall of sound'. But that older r2r 'magic' is just hard to resist. So I thought let's bust out the soldering iron. It's a small unit, it'll just be a little tinkering distraction. I swapped out the cheap RCA's for spare DH Labs copper plated and a KLE silver plated copper which are very affordable at $25/pr. Lastly I swapped out the output caps for some spare Muse 47uFs. Easy to do, board solder melts easy. Man, what a treat (or Trick?). I love this baby. I hope to get some highish priced DACs on loan to compare later. The poor separation remains but high end extension is perfect, it sounds even quieter, lower noise/distortion (?), tambor/tone wonderful. Cost $40 plus fancy upgrades at retail equals what $65 shipped max. I'll certainly take this over the Schiit Modi MB or anything I've heard under $500 any day.

viggen

« Reply #576 on: 11 Dec 2022, 12:44 am »
just received topping e30ii a few days ago.  powering the 5v input via HDPLEX 300.  sounds very good.  this dac uses a pair of AKM 4493S

this is a big improvement over the e30 and makes me curious about the AKM4499EX.

funny enough, got an apos spam mail this morning introducing toppings E70 Velvet w/ the exact chip.  so, ordered it.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #577 on: 11 Dec 2022, 11:28 am »
just received topping e30ii a few days ago.  powering the 5v input via HDPLEX 300.  sounds very good.  this dac uses a pair of AKM 4493S

this is a big improvement over the e30 and makes me curious about the AKM4499EX.

funny enough, got an apos spam mail this morning introducing toppings E70 Velvet w/ the exact chip.  so, ordered it.

Wow, talk about overkill with the power supply, good on you.  I read the review, I think PTA, but not positive, and they had a lot of good things to say, but also noted some shortcomings in soundstage and noise floor, but was using a wall wart for a power supply.  In my first generation E30 I noticed the same thing until I upgraded to a good power brick which fixed all those issues.  I'm sure with that PS you're not leaving any potential of your second gen on the table.  Interested in hearing the comparison of the E70.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #578 on: 11 Dec 2022, 01:26 pm »
There's a guy here in Taiwan who has upgraded all of his wall warts <I think all> with Ganfet power supplies, and insists they've lowered his noise floor and that 'everything just sounds better' that before. Have any of you tried using GANfet wall warts?

zek

« Reply #579 on: 11 Dec 2022, 03:07 pm »
« Last Edit: 11 Dec 2022, 04:14 pm by zek »