« on: 23 Jul 2013, 08:04 pm »

JohnR

Re: UFO on Kickstarter
« Reply #1 on: 21 Aug 2013, 01:20 pm »
BUMP!

galyons

« Reply #2 on: 21 Aug 2013, 11:51 pm »
Crap! How did I miss this?  Pledged for the kit.  Jim, can the deadline be extended?

Cheers,
Geary

hagtech

« Reply #3 on: 23 Aug 2013, 07:27 am »
Sorry.  Once it is started there are a few things you cannot change.  I think I picked a bad time of year for this. 

jh

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: 23 Aug 2013, 11:09 am »
What about 3D printed ones for the 37 backers? 

hagtech

« Reply #5 on: 24 Aug 2013, 03:27 am »
Hmmm, good thinking.  At $225 a pop for a 3D print, I could probably sell a kit for $300 without losing any money.  The problem is that the quality of the result is not so great.  Lots of "striations" and imperfections.  Certainly not good enough to be a HAGTECH product.  I suppose I could find out the cost of the more expensive printing process...

jh

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: 24 Aug 2013, 09:26 pm »
Another thought, contact Matt here  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=118985.msg1251071#msg1251071

He can probably do the small quantity without any issue. 

JohnR

« Reply #7 on: 27 Aug 2013, 09:26 am »
Well, the Al UFO certainly seems interesting... however machining it for the electronics may be more complicated?

Jim, if kickstarter allow you to have another go in future I'm sure we can do a better job at getting the word out.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: 27 Aug 2013, 11:03 am »
Are kits available and will you provide me with a DXF or STEP so I can 3d print my own?

hagtech

« Reply #9 on: 28 Aug 2013, 05:57 am »
I've been looking into the higher resolution resin-laser process, and if I buy at least ten at a time the price is not too bad.  They say, however, the material breaks down over time.  It probably not stay together for ten years.  Great for prototyping...

jh

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #10 on: 28 Aug 2013, 07:48 am »
I've been looking into the higher resolution resin-laser process, and if I buy at least ten at a time the price is not too bad.  They say, however, the material breaks down over time.  It probably not stay together for ten years.  Great for prototyping...

jh
Can you supply me with a STEP file?

JohnR

« Reply #11 on: 28 Aug 2013, 01:49 pm »
Geez jt, isn't that kinda like IP you're asking for there...?

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #12 on: 28 Aug 2013, 02:02 pm »
isn't that kinda like IP you're asking for there...?
I thought the case was something that was sold at one point with plans.  If not, then yes, sorry.   :oops:

If yes, I'd make you one though.   :wink:

Also, I have no interest in making these on the side.  I have way too much stuff to keep me busy going on.  Bottom line, still need the guts and Jim's blessing.

JohnR

« Reply #13 on: 28 Aug 2013, 02:15 pm »
Just to be clear, I wasn't questioning your motives :)

galyons

« Reply #14 on: 28 Aug 2013, 04:23 pm »
This is a tough one.  Jim worked hard on the UFO and should reap appropriate benefit for any use of the design. I want him busily developing more new products!!

I like John's idea on a Mulligan with Kickstarter.

Cheers,
Geary

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #15 on: 28 Aug 2013, 05:53 pm »
Another thought, contact Matt here  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=118985.msg1251071#msg1251071

He can probably do the small quantity without any issue.

This may not be the most affordable way of getting a UFO, but damn it would be really cool with black anodizing to boot!

Best of luck Jim, it's too bad the Kickstarter project didn't fly, I didn't even know about it, or else I would've backed it up!

Anand.

hagtech

« Reply #16 on: 30 Aug 2013, 05:39 pm »
My friend had a good idea - why not make it out of wood?  Makes sense to me!  We may have to change the wall thickness in the design, but using poplar or maple or some other fine grained hardwood could work really well.  It has the weight, the surface is easy to sand and stain, and it would look gorgeous.  On top of that, wood is naturally and organically damped, unlike metal or glass, and will not "ping".  It could make for a really effective clamp.  So I'm looking into that now - see what it takes to CNC a housing.

jh

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #17 on: 30 Aug 2013, 05:52 pm »
Wood?  Then do it out of Hawaiian Koa.   :drool:

hagtech

« Reply #18 on: 4 Sep 2013, 02:37 am »
Ok, so which is preferable?  I'm looking into low cost molds for the plastic, and also CNC machining for metal and wood.  Which would you folks prefer?

I think I can do the all aluminum one for $400 retail price.

jh

roscoeiii

« Reply #19 on: 4 Sep 2013, 02:48 am »
Yeah, I also missed the Kickstarter on this one. I'd try again. Maybe Fall or Winter, when more people are focused on home-based hobbies?