Electric Prunes: Stockholm 67
Someone accidently turned on the record switch. :wink:

Doc

Any good Doc ?? There's one I don't own.  :o

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
Re: P-Mans "Rock and Roll" Vinyl LP page
« Reply #5661 on: 7 Aug 2015, 07:26 pm »
The music is good. The recording? Well, it was made live, in 1967 and sounds like it.

Doc

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #5662 on: 7 Aug 2015, 07:26 pm »

Doc

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #5663 on: 8 Aug 2015, 12:39 am »
Stephen Stills ‎– Manassas

vinyl_lady

« Reply #5664 on: 8 Aug 2015, 12:59 am »
Hi Laura, nice to see the new cartridge, hope it works out well for you, I am thinking of updating my phono pre-amp since you guys (thank you all so much :!:) have gotten me to listen to my vinyl again.  I have thousands of records that I acquired over the years but moved on to digital a number of years ago.  thanks to this forum (mostly) and some of the other vinyl forums (fora?), I have started to replay much of the vinyl that I have.  some of it is fabulous, some of it sucks but there is a difference between Digital and Vinyl, although I won't say that vinyl is always better :nono:.

With regard to jackson Brown's guitarist, David Lyndley (of Kaleidoscope and El Rayo X fame) played for him for years, is he still traveling with Jackson, I have heard that Lindley has developed hearing problems and is not playing live as often--it would be interesting if Jackson had found someone as good as David is, because he is fabulous, going all the way back to "my Redneck Friend" from Jackson's 1973 album For Everyman.

Phil

Hi Phil,

I finally have a chance to respond. David Lindley is not traveling with Jackson this tour. I saw JB with DL back in the 70's. It was either the For Everyman or Late for the Sky tour. Also saw Lindley solo a couple of years ago in a 700 seat Art Deco era theater. The current guitarist just played electric guitars. Another guitarist played acoustic, lap and peddle steel. He was good too.

Saw far I'm really enjoying the new cartridge. Very revealing with great dynamics and tight, fast bass. I'm glad I was able to find one with very low hours for about 1/2 of retail.

Laura

vinyl_lady

« Reply #5665 on: 8 Aug 2015, 01:06 am »
Since all of you (collectively) are responsible for my returning to my vinyl collection and for buying new vinyl (today I picked up the new 45 RPM version of Dylan's John Wesley Harding [#507]), I am curious about all of your opinions on getting vinyl versions of Digitally recorded music.  I bought a vinyl version of the Stones later album A Bigger Bang, which has one song, Laugh, I nearly died, that I use as a test for new equipment.  The original CD has very clean sound and the vinyl was absolutely no improvement over the CD (in fact it was muddier).  I wonder if I made a rookie mistake by buying a vinyl version of a digitally  recorded record.  Put differently, with all of your considerable knowledge of vinyl, to your ears do all albums sound better in vinyl or should I stick to trying to buy "Reference" versions of the music of my youth (50's/60's/7's).  Should I think about an all analog recording chain and limit myself to those?
Any opinions about this would be appreciated, and I apologize if this is not the proper use of this forum, but I have come to know much about many of you because of the wonderful taste you have shown with all of your choices (and stories).
Thanks,

Phil

Hi Phil,

Here are my thoughts about vinyl sourced from digital. They mirror a lot of Michael Fremer's views. I think it matters a lot how the digital files were made and the original source material. I have vinyl cut from 24/96 files and it sounds very good. I think this is especially true if the original source was the analog tapes, especially the original tapes. I have some new vinyl that I assume was cut from 24/96 files that were digitally recorded. I think a lot of my new vinyl sounds very good. Sometimes I find useful information about this on the Steve Hoffman forum. I try to stay away from vinyl cut from CD or at CD quality files (16/44.1). Sometimes it is hard to know until you listen and you can hear the difference when you listen. Unfortunately it is after you bought the record. I would like to see the record consuming public and the reviewers start demanding to know the source material for the vinyl. 24/96 would not scare me away, but I would say no to 16/44.1.

Of course, like everyone in this thread, I always prefer an AAA chain and I think all the reissues should be AAA unless there is something wrong with the original analog tape. I really would like to know and I think the record company/artist/mastering lab should tell us if a record is AAA or sourced from digital and whether 24/96 or 16/44.1.

FWIW,

Laura

etcarroll

« Reply #5666 on: 8 Aug 2015, 04:50 pm »
Peter Green  ‎– Little Dreamer

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #5667 on: 8 Aug 2015, 05:01 pm »
Peter Green  ‎– Little Dreamer

Nice snag Gene. Now all you need is to find In The Skies. At least to me they were kind of pair, soundwise  :thumb:

vinyl_lady

« Reply #5668 on: 8 Aug 2015, 05:22 pm »

brooklyn

« Reply #5669 on: 8 Aug 2015, 06:01 pm »

vinyl_lady

« Reply #5670 on: 8 Aug 2015, 06:05 pm »

vinyl_lady

« Reply #5671 on: 8 Aug 2015, 06:09 pm »

vinyl_lady

« Reply #5672 on: 8 Aug 2015, 09:16 pm »

etcarroll

« Reply #5673 on: 8 Aug 2015, 11:32 pm »
Walked into a little hole in the wall on Long Island, and there it was.

In The Skies is actually #1 on my To Find list, but this wasn't too much further down the list, so I was pleased.

Nice snag Gene. Now all you need is to find In The Skies. At least to me they were kind of pair, soundwise  :thumb:

CactusBob

• < Desert Rat >
« Reply #5674 on: 9 Aug 2015, 02:46 am »
Fat Mattress

Atco, 1969

CactusBob

• < Desert Rat >
« Reply #5675 on: 9 Aug 2015, 03:16 am »
Fever Tree  ~  Another Time, Another Place

Uni, 1968