Interesting Audio Experience

Oostexan

Interesting Audio Experience
« on: 19 Dec 2022, 03:17 pm »
So I love audio gear, but I am not the type that is committed enough to have ever gone to an audio show before.  I live in Texas, and we do not have extensive options here for high end audio listening, but I had an interesting experience this weekend.

I have a buddy that is big into hifi and is looking to upgrade his 8 to 10 year old system, and he invited me to go listen to audio gear with him this weekend.  We spent a couple hours at a local dealer listening to $ 18K plus speakers, a streamer preamp that is $ 40K, and a lot of really nice gear.  I am not going to lie, I was really impressed and thought to myself "yeah, I need to find the funds to splurge on those $ 18K speakers".

Then I come home and listen to my home audio system composed of a Candela preamp, Kismet in Khatargo mono amps, and my liquids.  I literally caught myself saying "Klaus is a freaking genius".  I would be a fool to spend $ 18K on a new pair of speakers.

Maybe it is my own bias, but this system sounds awesome and every bit as good as anything I heard this weekend.

JCarney

Re: Interesting Audio Experience
« Reply #1 on: 19 Dec 2022, 05:29 pm »
Klaus makes gear that performs considerably above its price point. That is the way he rolls. You figured it out. You do not have to spend the equivalent of a new house to get kick ass sound. All you really need is Klaus' phone number.  :lol:

JCarney

Digi-G

« Reply #2 on: 19 Dec 2022, 08:05 pm »
I agree about Odyssey and Klaus.  Still love my Stratos.

This site has also caused me to "upgrade" my B&W speakers to less expensive GR Research speakers... AND get better performance.

genjamon

« Reply #3 on: 19 Dec 2022, 09:08 pm »
FWIW, for the few shows I've been able to attend, I tend to wander into the various rooms and be generally impressed with the level of detail on offer, but not usually the musicality.  But on first impression, most of the systems seem to be in another league from my home system.  But I usually try to pay attention to key songs playing in the rooms that I know fairly well and make mental notes of how they sound.  Then when I get home, I try to listen to as many of those songs as I can remember while the memory of the sound is fairly fresh.  And I almost always realize my system is sounding as good or better than nearly anything I heard at the show.  But there are usually a couple of rooms at any show that are just that bit better than the home system, no matter which way you slice it.

Klaus's rooms have consistently done that for me.  From the first time I heard his $6k all-in system in 2010 at RMAF to the full-bore insane system most recently at CAF this year.  There were a couple other rooms at CAF this year where I heard them doing something my current system is simply incapable of too, but not many. 

VinceT

« Reply #4 on: 19 Dec 2022, 10:04 pm »
There were a couple other rooms at CAF this year where I heard them doing something my current system is simply incapable of too, but not many.

I am like you, I look for a good bang for the buck and feel I can great great sound while not spending 50K on a system. There is always a better system,but in seems like in most of the cases you have to spend a lot more to get better sound.

The question is how much more do these systems cost compared to yours? 2x, 3x, 4x? Very happy for you that your are getting that level of performance.

genjamon

« Reply #5 on: 19 Dec 2022, 10:22 pm »
Well it all depends on what particular characteristics of the sound are important to you, and which ones don't matter so much.  Everyone's different.  But I would suggest that most people put only a relative few characteristics above all the others when it comes to putting their hard-earned cash to work in their home system.  For instance, I'm not saying my home system has better frequency extension and authority than all but the top rooms that excelled in those areas, but it's completely competent for my needs/tastes in a home environment.  And while my system's detail retrieval/transparency or tone characteristics on their own were in the upper 25% of rooms I heard, I'd say maybe only two had a better combination of those two attributes together than mine.  Klaus's was one of them. 

Yeah, I'm not saying my system is way above others or anything.  But like everyone else in this hobby, it's geared in particular directions that I find particularly meaningful, and this has the surprising and pleasant effect of helping me cope with system envy when I return home after a show and find I'm quite happy with what I'm hearing in comparison.  To each their own, and YMMV.

VinceT

« Reply #6 on: 19 Dec 2022, 10:49 pm »

Yeah, I'm not saying my system is way above others or anything.

I guess what I should clarified is I acknowledge you are not saying yours was better, but to get the results you heard from some of the systems at the shows you would probably have to spend a lot more to get there, and why would you being you are very satisfied with what you have at home. I get it and totally with you. I have not heard Klaus's stuff yet, but it is on my todo list.

JMW73

« Reply #7 on: 20 Dec 2022, 06:33 pm »
These conversations always get me super curious about the liquids…

Jeff_From_Michigan

« Reply #8 on: 21 Dec 2022, 04:17 pm »
Me too. The Candela/Kismets driving LRS's are putting out the best sound I've ever had in this or any other house.

But a few box speaker makers that I'm curious about are Magico, Zu, Fyne, Salk and Odyssey.

Oh, it's nice to dream!

qdrone

« Reply #9 on: 21 Dec 2022, 07:46 pm »
Klaus is always running around his brain to create the end all be all speaker,his audio statement. Until he does i'll enjoy my Liquids.

wgraft5

• Wayne in Oregon
« Reply #10 on: 22 Dec 2022, 12:21 am »

Same here.

I have NX Studios and my only complaint is they don't have strong mid bass punch, they don't have strong mid bass impact, they don't have SLAM.

So my question is do the Liquids have slam?

I have Stratos Mono Extremes and am in process of upgrading my cables. It does sound better now but still missing slam. I was going to upgrade to a better DAC and I don't want go down the subwoofer rabbit hole yet. So maybe i'll just save my pennies for 6 to 8 months and get a pair of Liquids. I have been looking for a used pair but no luck yet.

Thanks,
Wayne in Oregon

« Last Edit: 22 Dec 2022, 02:18 pm by wgraft5 »

Jeff_From_Michigan

« Reply #11 on: 22 Dec 2022, 02:12 pm »
Wayne, it looks like The Music Room still has a used pair up for sale.

https://tmraudio.com/speakers/floorstanding-speakers/odyssey-liquid-floorstanding-speakers-oak-pair/

wgraft5

• Wayne in Oregon
« Reply #12 on: 22 Dec 2022, 02:21 pm »
Wayne, it looks like The Music Room still has a used pair up for sale.

https://tmraudio.com/speakers/floorstanding-speakers/odyssey-liquid-floorstanding-speakers-oak-pair/

Thank you for the link. I will keep them in mind when I have all the funds :thumb:

genjamon

« Reply #13 on: 22 Dec 2022, 02:35 pm »
Having heard the NX-Studios in a friend's system last spring, I think I understand what you mean.  They were awesomely revealing and natural sounding, but have limitations in output for sure.  Luckily, the friend has them in a small bedroom system, so they had all the punch you might need there, but not deep extended weight.  Have you considered investing in some GR Research H-frame double OB subs as stands for them?  I bet that would add all the punch you'd ever want.

I would be surprised if the Liquids didn't have punch, but the music I heard at CAF this year didn't highlight those abilities.  I heard the original pressing of Santana's Abraxas and a couple vocal-centric tracks.  Also, the vinyl cartridge being used may not have been optimal for showcasing dynamic punch as much as organic tone. 

JMW73

« Reply #14 on: 22 Dec 2022, 07:17 pm »
I have a friend with some liquids (and Kismet amps) on order so I’m really looking forward to getting a chance to listen. While I’d like to upgrade my speakers, I haven’t heard anything (in my price range) that would actually BE an upgrade. At least I get to save some money!

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #15 on: 22 Dec 2022, 08:53 pm »
If you are looking for a box speaker, the Liquids are the highest price/performance out there for a retail speaker. 

wgraft5

• Wayne in Oregon
« Reply #16 on: 23 Dec 2022, 01:14 am »
Apologies, my bad.

Wayne in Oregon
« Last Edit: 23 Dec 2022, 08:09 pm by wgraft5 »