Class D versus the rest

roscoeiii

Re: Class D versus the rest
« Reply #900 on: 11 Nov 2014, 02:36 pm »
The cryoman lives in Chicago, if Jack and Roscoe is interested, they can hear mine before it is shipped back.

That'd be killer Tom. Just let us know the details.

Freo-1

« Reply #901 on: 11 Nov 2014, 03:07 pm »
Saying or implying the amp is somehow "digital" because of the modulator is like saying a Chevy truck is electric because it has a battery...Call it semantics if you wish....

Not at all.  A truck will run once its started.  The digital modulation is at the heart of creating the eventual analog signal that outputs from the amp. 

orientalexpress

« Reply #902 on: 11 Nov 2014, 04:30 pm »
Towards the end the specs began to sag and performance was intermittent. Finally it wouldn't turn on  :roll:, so I traded for a newer and more up to date model!  The sound is so much clearer with more of an emotional attachment.  :eyebrows:
That awsome ,Confucius said  :thumb:

werd

« Reply #903 on: 11 Nov 2014, 05:01 pm »
More Irony and ignorance werd,

Can a 14B do the same into 2 ohm ....  :lol:

The 2 ohm rating of many amplifiers applies to me and does so for many speakers , more than you would think, look at the imp/mag /phase of most speakers and you will see, I'm sure you can find someone to explain it to you . The real point is , the crown is no less stable at 2 ohm than a 14B which rolls over and hides on a 2 ohm load ,  as measured by stereophile, this is one of the very reasons i have stayed away from Bryston over the decades, so get off your high Horse and out of your glass house....

You I mean YOU not me YOU   :lol: posted a THD graph showing it does.
« Last Edit: 11 Nov 2014, 07:04 pm by werd »

werd

« Reply #904 on: 11 Nov 2014, 05:46 pm »

Not at all.  A truck will run once its started.  The digital modulation is at the heart of creating the eventual analog signal that outputs from the amp.

I've seen receivers that do all the work in the digital domain like bass, treble, balance. But I don't see how this is a true digital amp unless it does A/D conversion? Not that it matters because the amp looks good. I went looking for one. There are none for sale.

werd

« Reply #905 on: 11 Nov 2014, 06:40 pm »
More Irony and ignorance werd,

Can a 14B do the same into 2 ohm ....  :lol:

The 2 ohm rating of many amplifiers applies to me and does so for many speakers , more than you would think, l

Oh yah, I wouldn't know since you haven't posted a system or revealed anything in gallery.  What speakers you running?

roscoeiii

« Reply #906 on: 11 Nov 2014, 06:47 pm »
Can we please keep this thread civil? With no accusations of one person or another not knowing what they are talking about? I don't want this to go the direction of the more contentious ncore threads.

We'll have more sonic impressions of the XLS amps shortly, from folks with a variety of speakers and a lot of listening experience.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #907 on: 11 Nov 2014, 09:43 pm »
Thanks roscoe, I think we are all aware of the specs now, since it's been pointed out at least a dozen times. Can we please stop beating the dead horse? I think we are all interested in how it sounds and we can do with a lot less conjecture.

Folsom

« Reply #908 on: 11 Nov 2014, 11:35 pm »
I think corrections should be welcome, when you have obvious other information. It doesn't have to be a confrontation. Two people, including myself, have pointed out class D is not digital, but didn't have to insult/confront the person who thought it was.

It's simple, education and not ballz bumper carz.

I'm really excited about the flood of amps Tom is getting, including the one I get to pop open.

Dave sent me some pics, but there's no way to tell exactly what's going on, trying to trace the AC. It appears obvious there's some errorness in placing series parallel caps on the CMC's at the input filter. I know why they did it, but I know why it's the wrong option too.

OzarkTom

« Reply #909 on: 12 Nov 2014, 12:40 am »

I'm really excited about the flood of amps Tom is getting, including the one I get to pop

I have been given the green light to ship one amp to the cryoman. The two 1500's should be here tomorrow. I will send the other to you. I doubt if either amp is fully burned in, they were used only one time at one of their local concerts.

Please pm me your address.

*Scotty*

« Reply #910 on: 12 Nov 2014, 12:42 am »
It might make sense to split this thread into two separate threads one dealing specifically with the Crown digital amplifier series.
Scotty

a.wayne

« Reply #911 on: 12 Nov 2014, 12:52 am »
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

You I mean YOU not me YOU   :lol: posted a THD graph showing it does.

Wow dats  weapons grade ignorance , you should quit now.....  :lol:

Folsom

« Reply #912 on: 12 Nov 2014, 12:56 am »
I have been given the green light to ship one amp to the cryoman. The two 1500's should be here tomorrow. I will send the other to you. I doubt if either amp is fully burned in, they were used only one time at one of their local concerts.

Please pm me your address.

OMG fine I'll listen to it for a few days, if you're going to force my hand with your not-burned in business.  :thumb:

mr_bill

« Reply #913 on: 12 Nov 2014, 12:58 am »
Whoa.....what happened to this thread!?

a.wayne

« Reply #914 on: 12 Nov 2014, 12:59 am »
Oh yah, I wouldn't know since you haven't posted a system or revealed anything in gallery.  What speakers you running?

More than a few speakers have impedance curves and phase angles equivalent to a 2 ohm load or less..if you look at the graph posted you will see the 14B is heavy  into current limiting below 4 ohms. Not an issue unless you plan on running it below 4ohm  or have 4 ohm speakers ,similar to running the crown at reduced power output than advertised rating for lower distortion...

wushuliu

« Reply #915 on: 12 Nov 2014, 01:30 am »
It might make sense to split this thread into two separate threads one dealing specifically with the Crown digital amplifier series.
Scotty

For the Love of God, yes.

werd

« Reply #916 on: 12 Nov 2014, 01:42 am »

More than a few speakers have impedance curves and phase angles equivalent to a 2 ohm load or less..if you look at the graph posted you will see the 14B is heavy  into current limiting below 4 ohms. Not an issue unless you plan on running it below 4ohm  or have 4 ohm speakers ,similar to running the crown at reduced power output than advertised rating for lower distortion...

Ok what ever. Go have fun with your Crown and mystery speakers.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #917 on: 12 Nov 2014, 01:43 am »
Scotty

+1

werd

« Reply #918 on: 12 Nov 2014, 01:51 am »
Start another thread. You want some one to filter through all of this and break it apart? That's a waste of time.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #919 on: 12 Nov 2014, 02:14 am »
I started another thread in the Lab circle pertaining to all things Crown XLS so we don't bog down this thread.

-Tom