Class D versus the rest

werd

Re: Class D versus the rest
« Reply #860 on: 11 Nov 2014, 01:26 am »
I've got 3 different class D amps, so I thought I'd give my impressions. I've got the Crown XLS 1500, and I bought it to use for my band practice PA. It works ok for that. For the heck of it, I decided to try it in my living room with my Pass Labs pre, and SP Tech Timepiece 3.0 speakers. My speakers are currently driven by a pair of Channel Islands D200 amps which sound absolutely wonderful. The Crown? It just plain sucked - really bright and edgy.

What Pass Labs pre amp are using?

spence

« Reply #861 on: 11 Nov 2014, 01:28 am »
I use the X1 pre. The power cord for the SDS is home made with Carol cable and Marinco plugs.

a.wayne

« Reply #862 on: 11 Nov 2014, 01:32 am »
Not only that you can't tell you posted excellent specs for a 2 ch amp. I don't even own this 14B SST. I own the 14B SST/2 which  probably specs even better.

You look happy,  ignorance is truly bliss ......  :lol:

OzarkTom

« Reply #863 on: 11 Nov 2014, 01:36 am »
Hi Russell,
    I didn't try the Crown on the ATC. The SDS sounded really good on them so I just left it that way. The Crown didn't have much break in time when I tried it on the SP Tech. The SDS didn't have any break in time when I tried it on the SP Tech, and it sounded great right out of the box.

The Crown is bright and edgy until fully broken in. All of the other Class D amps I have had here sounded bright and edgy, and they were fully broken in.

werd

« Reply #864 on: 11 Nov 2014, 01:42 am »
You look happy,  ignorance is truly bliss ......  :lol:

:lol: 2 ohms into rated power for this size 2 ch amp is a pipe dream. You can get it at a lower power but there is no way at the rated power into 8 ohms. The amp circuit protection will stop it because one 15amp circuit can't drive 2 channels like that simultaneously. If you want that kind of power its a mono only amps into dedicated circuits and then maybe. 

This has gotten beyond silly

Freo-1

« Reply #865 on: 11 Nov 2014, 01:42 am »
It is analog in and has no ad/da stage. Digital filtering of what???

Here is a detailed product description:

http://download.yamaha.com/api/asset/file/?language=en&site=usa.yamaha.com&asset_id=35940

It makes no mention of any ad/da conversion or digital filter....

This is Bruno's expanded quote:  Think you are getting wrapped up in semantics

" Apparently the MXD1 uses a flash converter followed by a digital pulse width modulator. This is of course an unnecessary complication. The same result is obtained by an analogue PWM circuit. "

" It is a typically Japanese phenomenon to add circuitry for the sake of "more proprietary technology" without reaping any technical benefit. Usually the results are worse than what the simple solution would have done. Sometimes a large number of extra measures have to be taken in order to counteract the negative effects produced by the added technology."

Freo-1

« Reply #866 on: 11 Nov 2014, 02:04 am »
Quite disingenuous of you to pick on specs when you seem to prefer tube amps which have terrible specs in comparison to class d amps like ncore....

Doesn't mean much.  Measurements into a resistor are a far different kettle of fish from actual measurements of a musical signal into a complex speaker load.  There is a ton of dreck that was made in the 70's/80's/90's that measured distortion as .000X, and sounded like absolute crap. 

Tubes are much more linear than sand devices.  There were many reasons that mass market audio went away from tubes, but absolute sound quality was not one of them.   :o

Check out this link:  Note the sidebar about noise level of amplifying a signal between a 6AU6 and a JFET.

http://spectrum.ieee.org/consumer-electronics/audiovideo/the-cool-sound-of-tubes

werd

« Reply #867 on: 11 Nov 2014, 02:23 am »
The Crown is bright and edgy until fully broken in. All of the other Class D amps I have had here sounded bright and edgy, and they were fully broken in.

It's not because it needs to break in. It's what I predicted right from the start. He is using a low gain pre and 85db sensitive speakers into 8ohms. The amp can't pull power from the wall. IT can't handle a system that needs good power to amplify transients.  I said that amp will putter and he is discribing exactly what it would sound like puttering along , hard and edgy.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #868 on: 11 Nov 2014, 02:28 am »
So it appears that there is some interest in hearing the Crown xls 1500. I guess it can be called a "tour".

If you are really interested in participating just send me a pm and I'll do my best to keep track of who and where the amp goes next.

As of now it's on its way to Jack in the Chicago area for him and Roscoeiii to check out. After that Chris(rodge827) will receive it.  Not exactly sure where he is but from his avatar I'm guessing New Jersey?

Martin in Brooklyn, NY will be next after Chris.

So that's the order as of now. So again, if you're serious just shoot me a pm and you'll be added.  :thumb:

-Tom

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #869 on: 11 Nov 2014, 02:51 am »
It's not because it needs to break in. It's what I predicted right from the start. He is using a low gain pre and 85db sensitive speakers into 8ohms. The amp can't pull power from the wall. IT can't handle a system that needs good power to amplify transients.  I said that amp will putter and he is discribing exactly what it would sound like puttering along , hard and edgy.
He could go up the XLS 2500 for a little extra money.

werd

« Reply #870 on: 11 Nov 2014, 03:02 am »
He could go up the XLS 2500 for a little extra money.

Might help it but the 1500 should still be good enough at 300 watts for the great amp it's suppose to be.

rodge827

« Reply #871 on: 11 Nov 2014, 03:12 am »
After that Chris(rodge827) will receive it.  Not exactly sure where he is but from his avatar I'm guessing New Jersey?

Yeah man!
Exit 58 South Jersey!   :thumb:

roscoeiii

« Reply #872 on: 11 Nov 2014, 03:14 am »
Well, I also have some SP Tech speakers that we can try with the 1500. I have Minis.

OzarkTom

« Reply #873 on: 11 Nov 2014, 03:24 am »
The cryoman lives in Chicago, if Jack and Roscoe is interested, they can hear mine before it is shipped back.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #874 on: 11 Nov 2014, 03:30 am »
The cryoman lives in Chicago, if Jack and Roscoe is interested, they can hear mine before it is shipped back.

That's a good two for one deal right there.  :wink:

Have you tried turning off the clip limiter function? Just saw a review on Amazon from a guy saying it made quite a difference in sound quality.

mjosef

« Reply #875 on: 11 Nov 2014, 04:19 am »
Thanks for adding me to the 'tour'... I can compare the Crown XLS to the Xti series, and to the best sounding NCore 400 I have heard to date (rivaled/even bettered the commercial 1200 from one vendor).

Martin

a.wayne

« Reply #876 on: 11 Nov 2014, 04:38 am »
:lol: 2 ohms into rated power for this size 2 ch amp is a pipe dream. You can get it at a lower power but there is no way at the rated power into 8 ohms. The amp circuit protection will stop it because one 15amp circuit can't drive 2 channels like that simultaneously. If you want that kind of power its a mono only amps into dedicated circuits and then maybe. 

This has gotten beyond silly

Crown rated the amp at .5%thd into 2 ohm at rated output, now you are using conjecture to ridicule fact , by stating what you think, we know from facts the 14b wont do 2 ohm without severe current limiting , same as or worst than this 300.00  crown ..?

werd

« Reply #877 on: 11 Nov 2014, 05:33 am »
Crown rated the amp at .5%thd into 2 ohm at rated output, now you are using conjecture to ridicule fact , by stating what you think, we know from facts the 14b wont do 2 ohm without severe current limiting , same as or worst than this 300.00  crown ..?

They use a cowardly mid-band 1khz rating. The amp doesn't sit on 2ohms 20hz. It's done to conceal the true power nature of that amp. Who cares about 2ohm distortion when your amp ain't powering it or can't.  If you properly tested that amp in 2ohms that thing would flop around and die. It would go into protection. 

You want that little power supply to run and hide too, since the bass roll-off will save your distortion rating at frequencies 8ohms and higher.  Don't try to align this amps power to any thing Bryston gets or states.

You clearly don't know what you are talking about.

mr_bill

« Reply #878 on: 11 Nov 2014, 06:01 am »
Thanks for adding me to the 'tour'... I can compare the Crown XLS to the Xti series, and to the best sounding NCore 400 I have heard to date (rivaled/even bettered the commercial 1200 from one vendor).

Martin

Best sounding ncore 400.......is that a DIY?

OzarkTom

« Reply #879 on: 11 Nov 2014, 07:08 am »
Amazon now has the 1500 for $325. And please, I do not work for or own Amazon.

I just love all of these Audiophiles that just knows how an amp sounds by just looking at the specs. :roll: