RMAF 2012 Day 1 - Tyson and Pez Coverage LIVE

nature boy

Re: RMAF 2012 Day 1 - Tyson and Pez Coverage LIVE
« Reply #40 on: 12 Oct 2012, 10:24 pm »
Great work.  I hope you get to check back in on the Modwright and Daedalus room. I was very impressed with Lou's smaller speakers at the Capital Audiofest earlier this year. 

NB

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #41 on: 12 Oct 2012, 10:39 pm »

Great job.

Tip: If using I-Photo you can fix under exposed photos by hitting Edit on the bottom of the browser and then Ehance.

Rocket_Enhanced_Ronny   :wink:

Pez

« Reply #42 on: 12 Oct 2012, 10:45 pm »
Emotiva Pro
Stealth 8
Stealth DC-1

Bach great violin going on here. I love how organic it sounds. No overshoot at all... Wow room treatment who knew!!!! Mahler has deftness. Very natural sounding dynamic shading. Sweet spot hogs abound in this room nobody is relinquishing even when it's our music. Guitar on Ani sounds so effortless and smooth. Greatness here for sure. I can't find any fault thus far in this setup. Yorke has a HUGE sound very very impressive. Vocals are buttery smooth this is absolutely the best bookshelf type speaker I have heard in this show in years. Big thumbs up here.

Tyson Notes[/u]
Mahler - Damn, it sounds like the basses are even bigger!  The quiet parts just disappear softly into the noise floor beautifully.  Scale?  Yeah, they did that pretty well too.
Bach - What, it's so good I almost forgot to start typing this.  Catches the emotion of the piece like nobodies business.  Smooth but also with the needed bite.
Ani DiFranco - Hey, nice - her voice is not overly sibilant, but isn't too soft either.  Guitar is slightly metalic, but at least it's not boomy!  Really good focus clarity.
Thom Yorke - Wow, amazing that this track sounds great in most rooms that otherwise suck.  But this time it sounds pretty poor in the current room, which is otherwise excellent.  Crazy!
General Room Notes - Yay, another room that understands the importance of room treatments.  Listening to Stevie Ray Vaughan and the notes just pop and drop with tons of speed.  And a super tiny itty bitty DC-1 driving these very cool Emotiva speakers.  IMO, when it is well implemented, there is nothing better than a ribbon tweeter.  It's well implemented here.  Only problem was the stupid people behind me asking if stereo can bet made to have surround sound, right in my ear. 
« Last Edit: 1 Jun 2013, 02:33 am by Pez »

Pez

« Reply #43 on: 12 Oct 2012, 11:06 pm »
Current Cable
Abbingdon Music Research
Dr. Feickert Analogue
Rosso Fiorentino Loudspeakers
Purist HDR

Bach while not quite as brutally honest as some setups this setup has all the emotion and more than I have heard thus far today. Along the best. Mahler is sounding superb while simultaneously not drawing massive amounts of attention to the fact that it is doing everything right. The presentation is just is easy and smooth. Great dynamics again buttery smooth. Every bit as good as last year, but most definitely more refined. Ani is telling a story that I find very intriguing through these speakers. Gather round folks hear what I have to say. In other words very personable and draws you in. Thom Yorke while not quite as dynamically thrilling as some of the other setups it still sounds so damn good it doesn't matter. I think this is the smoothest room I have heard yet today. And to my ears smooth is good. This is what hi end audio should sound like. No bullshit, just great easy to listen to sound.

AMR, first sound, avatar seems to be a winning combo.

Tyson Notes[/u]
Mahler - Very precise, speedy sound on the Mahler.  You can really hear the payoff from the inter cabinets on this track.  Some rooms cause this track to sound slow and plodding, but not here, it moves right along.
Bach - Last year thi highs were too tipped up, but this year it's just beautiful.  Emotive, clear, and not icepick in the ear painful.  If anything it's a tiny bit laid back, which I love. 
Ani DiFranco - Clean, clear, dead on neutral.  Everything is super tight, super focused.  Not warm and romantic, but not analytical either.  Track just flows like clear water.  Captures the microdynamics and emotion in her voice very nicely indeed.
Thom Yorke - Bass kicks in and surprises you with it's percussion.  Yet another time that the super inert cabs are kicking butt. 
General Room Notes - Ah, always a great room, and this year is starting off very well too.  New speakers that look very badass in an understated way with their HDF/Marble composite cabinets.  Only one criticism, and it's a small one - speakers are kinda short, feels like I'm looking down own the performers.  I guess it's my Mitt Romney moment...

HiFiSoundGuy

« Reply #44 on: 12 Oct 2012, 11:20 pm »
Emotiva Pro
Stealth B
Stealth DC-1

Bach great violin going on here. I love how organic it sounds. No overshoot at all... Wow room treatment who knew!!!! Mahler has deftness. Very natural sounding dynamic shading. Sweet spot hogs abound in this room nobody is relinquishing even when it's our music. Guitar on Ani sounds so effortless and smooth. Greatness here for sure. I can't find any fault thus far in this setup. Yorke has a HUGE sound very very impressive. Vocals are buttery smooth this is absolutely the best bookshelf type speaker I have heard in this show in years. Big thumbs up here.

Tyson Notes[/u]
Mahler - Damn, it sounds like the basses are even bigger!  The quiet parts just disappear softly into the noise floor beautifully.  Scale?  Yeah, they did that pretty well too.
Bach - What, it's so good I almost forgot to start typing this.  Catches the emotion of the piece like nobodies business.  Smooth but also with the needed bite.
Ani DiFranco - Hey, nice - her voice is not overly sibilant, but isn't too soft either.  Guitar is slightly metalic, but at least it's not boomy!  Really good focus clarity.
Thom Yorke - Wow, amazing that this track sounds great in most rooms that otherwise suck.  But this time it sounds pretty poor in the current room, which is otherwise excellent.  Crazy!
General Room Notes - Yay, another room that understands the importance of room treatments.  Listening to Stevie Ray Vaughan and the notes just pop and drop with tons of speed.  And a super tiny itty bitty DC-1 driving these very cool Emotiva speakers.  IMO, when it is well implemented, there is nothing better than a ribbon tweeter.  It's well implemented here.  Only problem was the stupid people behind me asking if stereo can bet made to have surround sound, right in my ear.

Let us know how these monitors compare to the Evolution Acoustics MM Micro Ones.

Pez

« Reply #45 on: 12 Oct 2012, 11:33 pm »
Angel City Audio
MG Audio Design, LLC
Melody

Bach violin is pretty good. Not quite as emotive as I like. Mahler sounds pretty sweet. Dynamics are fairly good. Ani's guitar sounds very plucky and well defined. Nice soundstage with a well focused image. Thom Yorke is sounding very very nice. A little congested sounding, but not bad. These rooms can do that to vocals. Dynamically speaking this systems got it going on.

Tyson Notes[/u]
Mahler - Again, a bit thinner than you would think, given the tube amps being used.  But HOLY SHIT the dynamics are crazy good when that big bass drum hits. 
Bach - Not as full as you'd suspect using those cool ass looking tube amps.  But on the plus side it passed the test of not driving me out the room (can't say that for all rooms!!)
Ani DiFranco - Nice metalic tang to the guitar picking and the body comes through nicely.  Her voice is naked and clear.  Perhaps moving slighty to the analytic side of things. 
Thom Yorke - OK, they really, really, really shine on this track.  Things sounded OK on the other tracks, but modern electronica just explodes out of these guys.
General Room Notes - We might have to come back to this room, it had the bad luck of following the best room at the show so far, the Avatar Acoustics room.   Oh, and props for room treatment, that alone lets the gear shine far more than it otherwise would. 

audiogoober

« Reply #46 on: 12 Oct 2012, 11:59 pm »
Rossos that I had have found a new home.
« Last Edit: 10 Nov 2012, 07:35 pm by audiogoober »

Pez

« Reply #47 on: 13 Oct 2012, 12:02 am »
Audio Physic
Acoustic Signature
Grandinote
Creaktiv HiFi
Trigon Elektronik

Bach micro macrodyanamics are effortless. The Mahler are the same here so far, no big dynamics yet... Horn entrance isn't splatty. Ok the big dynamics are tremendous and bold. Ani while easy to listen to they certainly are not the most detailed sounding speakers I have heard yet closer toward the top of the pile than the bottom. She sounds a touch nasal. Yorke is certainly pushing this rooms issues overboard. No room treatment is causing some overloading issues and nasa-lness is pretty prominent. The dynamics aren't bad, but they are definitely causing issues with the listening space. I'm sure Tyson is posting something to the effect that he's right and I'm wrong. And yes he is a dick I feel I must again apologize preemptively for his behavior. 

Tyson Notes[/u]
Mahler - Moves along at a stately pace.  Not as lively as some of the other rooms, but it's ohhh so listenable.  Music that does not reach out and grab you or shake you by your lapels.  Seduces.
Bach - Wonderfully laid back and emotive.  Passes the solo violin test with ease.
Ani DiFranco - Surprise, the guitar has an almost 'country' twang, lots of character.  I think this might be the least sibilant room of the entire show so far.  Very nice.  Nice and easy.  Sort of how I like my women.
Thom Yorke - Interesting, they sound good on Yorke too.  They are still pretty laid back in the mids and highs, but the bass is nicely punchy.  A slight bit of drone, but not too bad at all. 
General Room Notes - The room that Jason and I never agree on.  To me, every year it is an oasis in a sea of noise.  This year is no exception.  I'm sure Jason thinks it's blah and boring.  But that's because he has no taste.  To me, this room does a lot of things well, is not offensive, and is more "s

Pez

« Reply #48 on: 13 Oct 2012, 12:30 am »
And we are done. We will resume tomorrow.

Andre2

« Reply #49 on: 13 Oct 2012, 12:35 am »
Thanks.

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
« Reply #50 on: 13 Oct 2012, 12:45 am »
Thanks for some great pictures and commentary.  I know how heavy it can be just lugging your camera gear around!

KUDOS!!!  :thumb:

Regards,

Randy

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #51 on: 13 Oct 2012, 01:25 am »
Ok boys and girls....what's wrong with this picture?

Pez

« Reply #52 on: 13 Oct 2012, 01:29 am »
They are in phase with each other so not a problem. Absolute phase might still be right because if I'm not mistaken you can change absolute phase on AMR gear.

jeffh

« Reply #53 on: 13 Oct 2012, 01:33 am »
Tyson and Pez Thank you for posting.  I'm am looking forward to the rest of the weekend coverage. 

Would love for you to stop by the JosephAudio room to compare to the others.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #54 on: 13 Oct 2012, 01:35 am »
Thanks Pez. The coverage is great, you guys rock!  :thumb:

<Bob makes mental note that "red = black" sometimes>

mca

« Reply #55 on: 13 Oct 2012, 01:49 am »
A big thumbs up for those of us who dream of going to the show but can't.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Doublej

« Reply #56 on: 13 Oct 2012, 02:01 am »
They are in phase with each other so not a problem. Absolute phase might still be right because if I'm not mistaken you can change absolute phase on AMR gear.

Do you mean absolute polarity? Phase is relative, I think.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #57 on: 13 Oct 2012, 02:07 am »
I think the wire is connected incorrectly on the amp side, also.  :wink:

Thanks Tyson & Pez!!! Best International RMAF Coverage available, anywhere. You guys rock.  :thumb:

Douger

« Reply #58 on: 13 Oct 2012, 02:27 am »
Very good coverage and thanks for being so fast!!!

Rclark

« Reply #59 on: 13 Oct 2012, 02:35 am »
Interesting, the Emotiva Room. Other than people like myself who own the equipment they are generally sneered at. Their amps are pretty low to mid fi based on specs and reviews, but their source gear is great, and looks like their new speakers aren nice too.

FYI they have "no holds barred" high end speakers in the works as well.