Titan subwoofer question

norton

Titan subwoofer question
« on: 29 Dec 2007, 03:26 pm »
I just purchased a Titan XL and will be loving it as soon as I get it hooked up and adjusted right but have a quick question please. Right now I've got it hooked up using a RCA cable from my pre-amp processor out to the low pass filter in which, looks to me, as the correct way to go but I'm confused as to setting the crossover and input level of the sub. I've got my crossover set at 50hz on both the processor and the sub correct? What about the input level of the sub? Quote from owners manual:
 "This controls the volume of the Force or Titan when using the Right and or Left inputs. The volume needs to be set at the same volume as your main speakers to get a seamless blend. When using the Theater input, the volume on the subwoofer is bypassed and will be controlled by your processor/receiver."
How do you set the volume the same as your main speakers? This confuses me as I'm always changing the volume on my pre-amp processor. Thanks for any info.
BTW exceptional build quality.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
Re: Titan subwoofer question
« Reply #1 on: 29 Dec 2007, 04:15 pm »
Your pre/pro should have a sub level control, use it to adjust the sub volume to match your main speakers and then when you turn the main volume up or down it will control all speakers including the sub.

Hope this helps,
Lin

norton54

« Reply #2 on: 29 Dec 2007, 05:01 pm »
Thanks. The sub has numerous controls thru the processor such as low/high pass crossover 6db-12db, plus subwoofer ultra or thx. It's also set on 0 LFE level and you can change it to minus but zero is the highest it will go.Speakers are set to large.
I noticed when I turned up the crossover setting on the sub it got louder but with the crossover setting on the processor set to 50hz I wouldn't have thought anything above 50hz would go to the sub. Sorry about all the confusion. The more I fiddle the more I get confused.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #3 on: 29 Dec 2007, 05:08 pm »
The normal way to set it up is as follows:

- Use the xover in the pre-pro
- Turn the xovers on the sub as high as possible to take them out of the circuit
- Set the mains to small.

This will give you the greatest benefit, minimize load on the mains and main amp, and allow better tweaking of bass response by moving the sub without interaction to the mains.  The xovers in the pre-pro and the sub are not brick walls.  They have a slope to them so there is still some info above the xover point getting through.

You can use the xovers in the sub a little if you want to tweak the steepness and the overlap but I'd only do that after you get everything else tweaked.

Bryan

norton

« Reply #4 on: 31 Dec 2007, 05:24 pm »
Thanks for the replies. The mains sound better with the setting set to large for some reason. Wouldn't the crossover setting on the processor be for LFE only or does it just send the signal for everything including music? With my current setting (ultra) my processor book says that all the bass goes to the mains and also the sub the same. If I set the sub's crossover to 45hz would it be only putting out sounds that is 45 hz and below correct? That is where my mains stop. Sorry about all the confusion form my part.

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 31 Dec 2007, 05:38 pm »
If you have it sounding 'better' with them to large, then likely you have a postioning issue with one or both.  Having 3 different places producing bass with 2 of them virtually locked in (and rarely at the best place to produce bass) will usually cause problems.

A properly set up mains/sub system should be virtually indistinguishable with the sub on or off except for the few times there is actually content below 40Hz.  Most of the time, if positioning, xover, phase, etc. is set properly, you shouldn't hear much if any difference.

The xover on the sub would be in addition to the 45Hz down that it's already being cut off at.  So, you're potentially introducing phase issues and additional steepness to the slope.

Your mains cut off at 45hz is only where they're down 3db.  They'll still try to go lower, pushing them harder and making your main 2 channel amp work harder.

Bryan

norton

« Reply #6 on: 31 Dec 2007, 09:27 pm »
Thanks Brian, I'll keep fiddling with it as I have the time and hopefully I'll get it right. Appreciate the help.

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #7 on: 31 Dec 2007, 10:46 pm »
You'll definitely get it right. Bryan and Lin have given you good advice. Start simple, fool around to get the idea of what the controls do. And stop back here any time you want more input. Happy New Year!

norton54

« Reply #8 on: 1 Jan 2008, 05:57 pm »
Thanks Mike. As of right now I have the crossover on the pre-amp set to 70HZ for the LFE channel, the input on the sub low pass left with both crossovers set at 45 and the phase at 0 and the input (volume) on the sub set at about 3/4 maximum. If I switch the speakers between large and small I can't tell a whole lot of difference. I have noticed that some CD's the bass is louder on the sub than others. Don't know if everything is right or not.

griller

« Reply #9 on: 2 Jan 2008, 12:35 am »
Spring a few bucks for the Rat Shack spl meter. Seeing visually what was going on really helped me to figure out the whole deal. At  the end, turned out that religiously following the manual steps worked really well.  And don't be afraid to just put on some good tunes and rock out!

DR

• The Man
« Reply #10 on: 2 Jan 2008, 12:58 am »
I'll second Griller. Mike's manuals are pretty accurate. I found it that way with the Titan as well as my Force XL.

norton

« Reply #11 on: 3 Jan 2008, 09:54 pm »
I guess I just don't understand this low pass crossover thing. I set my pre- x-over to 45 and my mains to small, which means everything from 45hz and below should go to the sub correct? How come when you turn the sub x-over up higher  it gets considerably louder. I didn't think it could play anything up higher than what I had it set for. Shouldn't I just set it for where my mains end? Man am I confused. BTW this sub is just mainly for music. I just wanted a little deeper bass and I swear I can hear where it's coming from. Thanks for all your help.

DR

• The Man
« Reply #12 on: 4 Jan 2008, 12:26 am »
Norton,

Not really knowing your setup and assuming by your description you are using a home theater device of some sort, maybe try this. There should be a LF theatre out on your electronics. Plug that into the theatre in on the sub. That should bypass the sub cross over I think. All control of the lows is in the hands of your electronics. So theatre out to theatre in. Set your speakers to small if they roll off at about 65HZ or higher and large if they roll off lower. that affects the cross over point to the sub. Or which ever sounds best to you.

What I don't think you can do is mix the theatre settings on the electronics with the normal pre-amp inputs on the sub. They are two different things. If you are using the pre-amp in's on the sub they must be from a full range line level out put. Then you will have to adjust the sub crossover to match the response of your speakers (I would guess set to large).

Maybe I am all wet but just a thought.

The Titan manual has all of the possible hook up schematics I know of. Just keep trying and you will get it.

:)

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: 4 Jan 2008, 12:54 am »
Norton,

It's because when you set ANOTHER xover on the sub, you're steepening the slope so you're not getting the overlap you do with a normal slope.  As I said before, these filters are not brick walls - it's not 100db at 45Hz and 0db and 46Hz.  It's 100db at 45, 76db at 67Hz, 52db at 100Hz, etc. Pure 24db per octave xover slope.

This is not a bad thing.  You can use it to your advantage along with positioning to help smooth response.

Bryan

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #14 on: 4 Jan 2008, 02:46 pm »
I guess I just don't understand this low pass crossover thing. I set my pre- x-over to 45 and my mains to small, which means everything from 45hz and below should go to the sub correct? How come when you turn the sub x-over up higher  it gets considerably louder. I didn't think it could play anything up higher than what I had it set for. Shouldn't I just set it for where my mains end? Man am I confused. BTW this sub is just mainly for music. I just wanted a little deeper bass and I swear I can hear where it's coming from. Thanks for all your help.

You should definitely not be able to localize the bass. If you can with a crossover setting of 45, you most likely have the sub level way to high.

· Choose either the Left or Right input for the highest sound quality and the greatest bass extension.

· With the Left or Right input you can adjust volume at the sub and at your receiver or processor. I'd suggest setting the sub level about 1/2 way and using the processor to fine tune the level

1. Set the crossover frequency dials A & B initially to 250Hz. For best sound quality, experiment with
adjusting these controls to the crossover frequency of your receiver or processor, usually 80 or 100Hz, in your case 45 Hz.
2. Adjust phase to give the highest output level. (Please refer to the test CD procedures for this)

norton

« Reply #15 on: 5 Jan 2008, 06:07 pm »
Thanks for the replies and being patient with me everybody and I think I have it sounding pretty good. If I could bother you with one more question please. There are 2 settings in the pre-amp for high pass and low pass, either 6db or 12 db. Which would be better? I can't tell a difference when I change between the 2. Thanks!

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #16 on: 6 Jan 2008, 02:08 pm »
Thanks for the replies and being patient with me everybody and I think I have it sounding pretty good. If I could bother you with one more question please. There are 2 settings in the pre-amp for high pass and low pass, either 6db or 12 db. Which would be better? I can't tell a difference when I change between the 2. Thanks!

That will depend somewhat on your mains. What are your mains?

norton

« Reply #17 on: 6 Jan 2008, 03:13 pm »
Dynaudio contours 5.4. Thanks

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #18 on: 6 Jan 2008, 04:30 pm »
Dynaudio contours 5.4. Thanks

I'm leaning towards 12db/oct on both the high-pass and low-pass. If you're not hearing the difference this will provide greater dynamic range from your mains and probably help the subwoofer "hide" the best sonically as well.

norton

« Reply #19 on: 6 Jan 2008, 06:37 pm »
Thanks Mike, I'll set it at that. BTW I really like the Titan, nice sub!