Sonicjoy's NX Studio build. With photos.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: Sonicjoy's NX Studio build. With photos.
« Reply #80 on: 11 Mar 2020, 11:13 pm »
Man, you do beautiful work.  As someone that's a big fan of the design, I'm really happy you seem to hear exactly the same qualities about them that make them so impressive to me! 

Now, imagine that driver integration, sweet musicality, sheer resolution and overall excellence but scaled up to be able ti image very large, massive, room filling soundstage, with zero box sound and bass that crushes just about everything - that's the NX-Ottica! 

Back on topic - you are incredibly nice to build the Monitors for your dad, I'm sure he's going to be extremely happy with them.

Sonicjoy

« Reply #81 on: 11 Mar 2020, 11:57 pm »
Thanks Tyson! Very nice of you to say. Believe me I am seriously thinking about the NX-Otica's or even the NX-Treme's.

I can now envision how they might sound.

Your description of the Studio's sound was right on. Thanks for sharing!

Tyson

« Reply #82 on: 12 Mar 2020, 01:29 am »
With the Super 7s and the Lineforces out of production, the NX-Treme might just be the best speakers in the world.  If you have the space and $$, DO IT!!!  :lol:

VinceT

« Reply #83 on: 15 Mar 2020, 03:23 pm »
Very nice job, great review as well. Always good to hear when the wife approves!  :D

Sonicjoy

« Reply #84 on: 15 Mar 2020, 08:04 pm »
Tyson it's nice to know that the best speakers in the world are so affordable! Humm now what can I sell???  :idea: I do have the Vandy's that I need to find a new home for. That may just cover it.  :thumb:

Sonicjoy

« Reply #85 on: 15 Mar 2020, 08:07 pm »
VinceT Thanks and yes it is nice when she is! It's so rare when that happens.

Sonicjoy

« Reply #86 on: 15 Mar 2020, 08:36 pm »
 Alright I am finally finished with this speaker build. I got the grills assembled today and they look good!

Regarding the grills, if I could make one recommendation to anyone else building these it is this: Make the grill frames slightly smaller than the top of the box to account for the thickness of the cloth. I thinned the thickness down from 3/4" to about 11/16" but could have gone down to 5/8" and the width and length could have been made less as well. The cloth added more thickness than I expected. Minor detail but if I had it to do over? It's not bad just not perfect. Also when fitting the grill frames for the mounting clips, drill through the frame with a 1/16" drill bit from the top all the way through into the box. That will give you perfect alignment marks for the clips or magnets. Forstner bits work best for making the mount holes. In my case I needed a 1/4" in the grill and a 3/8" for the box.

Anyway here are the photos I have been promising. Enjoy!

This has been a fun project for me! I hope everyone else who builds these has as much fun as I did and feel free to ask any build question you may have. Happy to help.  :D

Sonicjoy

« Reply #87 on: 15 Mar 2020, 08:44 pm »
I'm not sure why my photos always come out so soft and fuzzy looking when I upload them here. I took these with a DSLR and edited them and resized then sharpened them. They look nice and crisp on my screen but get all soft when posting them here. AC must resize them again or something? Before I thought It was because I was using my phone but now I'm not sure.

Any tips?

Tyson

« Reply #88 on: 15 Mar 2020, 08:46 pm »
Did you ever hook up the sub & run it with the Studio Monitors?  Just wondering what kind of integration you were able to achieve. 

BTW, you do really beautiful work.

Sonicjoy

« Reply #89 on: 15 Mar 2020, 10:15 pm »
Tyson that's the next thing to do. I'm now going to start packing up the electronics for transport now that everything is tested and all details for the system have been accounted for and that I have the photos I wanted.

Once that stuff is out of the way I will reconfigure my system with the Monitors and subs and see what they can do in a true full range set up.

Should be fun! Stay tuned.

DeeJayBump

« Reply #90 on: 16 Mar 2020, 12:09 am »
Beautiful work, thanks for sharing. Your father's going to love them.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #91 on: 16 Mar 2020, 02:05 am »
Amazing work, SonicJoy! They look incredible, and I can only imagine how they sound, & It has really me hyped for when the time comes to build my own!
I hope your father loves them!

Sonicjoy

« Reply #92 on: 19 Mar 2020, 02:24 pm »
Hobbs Thanks! I'm sure he will love them.

So I have been listening to the the Studio's with my Vandersteen 2wq subs for the last couple days. I have the subs placed just inboard of the speakers on the same plane. That is my preferred position in this room. This is proving to be a great combo! The Studio's having a box lower section blend very well with great box subs it turns out. I have not heard Danny's OB subs yet so I can't speak to that combo but I can say that they also blend excellently with good box subs so they should be very versatile in that regard. Now the Vandy subs are very good music subs! They use 3 down firing 8" drivers slot loaded in a sealed box and use adjustable high pass filters in front of the amps to roll off the lowest frequency's  before they get to the main amp/ speakers. They get their signal from the speaker outs of the main amps. The subs internal amps have a matching curve that restores the lows to the sub drivers (that are rolled off by the filters).  It's a great system that gives the subs the sonic signature of the main amps and make for excellent integration with the speakers.

This is sounding wonderful and has taken the Studios to a new level and allowed the mids and upper bass to be cleaner and smoother.

Very nice indeed!

Tyson

« Reply #93 on: 19 Mar 2020, 07:44 pm »
Sooooo, anyone want to place wagers on how long before Sonicjoy orders a full NX-Otica kit?  :thumb:

howard1818

« Reply #94 on: 19 Mar 2020, 08:00 pm »
I'd take the under 14 days! It's all your fault too Tyson.

Tyson

« Reply #95 on: 19 Mar 2020, 08:01 pm »
I'd take the under 14 days! It's all your fault too Tyson.

:lol:

Captainhemo

« Reply #96 on: 20 Mar 2020, 12:44 am »
We've got    em in stock !!

jay

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #97 on: 20 Mar 2020, 02:19 am »
I'm glad to hear business is booming for you, Danny! But i imagine its not a bad way for peeps practicing social distancing to pass the time, and better enjoy their systems!
But I'm not too surprised by the shortages, but at least things seem to be moving in a positive direction over there, with things finally moving again.

Keep up the great work!

Sonicjoy

« Reply #98 on: 20 Mar 2020, 01:10 pm »
 Tyson you are a bad bad man!  :lol: And Jay you are not helping!

I am very tempted to build the NX-Otica's, would really love to get the Extrem's actually.

However!

I just got the Big EP's a few months ago and I think the wife would kill me if I did that so soon, plus we went through a big hassle getting them shipped up here from Texas. (that's another story) And it's not like I don't like the EP's, I do. They are great speakers. I mentioned that Danny upgraded them with his kick ass crossovers and he told me they just may be the best sounding pair of Emerald Physics speakers on the planet. He also gave me some tip's on improving them further. So I am planning to go that rout for a while. I want to see how far I can take them before replacing them. What I do want to build is a pair of H frame servo subs to go with them as the Vandersteen subs are not sensitive enough to match the output of the EP's. Plus I think the subs should be open baffle to best match the OB EP's. I do want to do that fairly soon.

But keep trying guys! LOL!

Captainhemo

« Reply #99 on: 20 Mar 2020, 05:52 pm »
Well,  we are not too far from you  for the  NX-Otica  flat packs   and  / or the  sub flats if you can't source the 1.5"   MDF  :thumb:

Can always laminate  I guess but what a PITA,  did some pairs years ago like that    :(

jay