NuPrime CDT-9 CD Transport

maxima95

NuPrime CDT-9 CD Transport
« on: 17 Mar 2021, 11:24 pm »

A few days ago, I purchased a CDT-8 Transport from Audio Advisor via Amazon.

I just saw the new CDT-9 CD Transport on Audio Advisor.  I did not see it on their site before.

The CDT-9 is not on the Nuprime site.

Is there a brochure or info sheet for the CDT-9 that can be made available?

If I had known about the CDT-9, I likely would have purchased it instead of the CDT-8.

Thanks for any information anyone has on this.

LostInPA

Re: NuPrime CDT-9 CD Transport
« Reply #1 on: 18 Mar 2021, 03:39 am »
CDT-8 and CDT-10 are transports only.   CDP-9 is a player, id est., also has a DAC.

Product listing here:  https://nuprimeaudio.com/product/cdp-9/?v=7516fd43adaa

seikosha

« Reply #2 on: 18 Mar 2021, 12:21 pm »
Here’s the AA listing.  It’s definitely a new transport.

https://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=NPCDT9

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #3 on: 18 Mar 2021, 01:26 pm »
$10 says it’s a typo.

seikosha

« Reply #4 on: 18 Mar 2021, 01:30 pm »
$10 says it’s a typo.

Problem is, if it’s a typo, where did they get that picture?  It’s not a picture of any of their existing CD players or Transports.

LostInPA

« Reply #5 on: 18 Mar 2021, 02:44 pm »
Very confusing.   Part of the description is " For very quiet performance, the CDT-9 uses a custom R-type professional transformer with shielding to keep out airborne radio-frequency noise and electromagnetic interference."   However, picture of rear shows that there is an external power supply, which is not mentioned in the description.

maxima95

« Reply #6 on: 18 Mar 2021, 04:54 pm »
I spoke with Audio Advisor this morning and it is a new transport.

The pictures in their ad don't show any product info (Company, Model #) on the front or back of the unit.  Likely pictures of a prototype.

Would like to know more about the power supply (linear, switching, wall wart or can you use your own power cord with it?)

Perhaps someone from NuPrime can help us out with this.

maxima95

« Reply #7 on: 22 Mar 2021, 04:06 pm »
Could someone associated with Nuprime please respond to the above questions regarding what appears to be a NuPrime product?

Craig B

« Reply #8 on: 22 Mar 2021, 08:31 pm »
No analog outs on the back panel that I can see. That would lead me to believe there's no internal DAC.

mresseguie

« Reply #9 on: 23 Mar 2021, 12:48 am »
Have any of us in this thread contacted Jason yet? I think it's time we pester him for an explanation.   :lol:

Oh, Jason. Come out to plaaay. Jason....

I'll PM/email him after I post this.

rustydoglim

« Reply #10 on: 24 Mar 2021, 07:28 pm »
Hey guys, if you have purchased the CDT-8, don't be alarmed, because the CDT-9 is mostly an aesthetic improvement over CDT-8 and it cost much more.
Why did we bring out CDT-9?  Because many distributors in other markets want the consistent 9 series look but CDT-8 has this plain flat front panel.  If you take a look at the internal floor plan of CDT-8, you will realise that the transport is on one side and linear power supply is on the other side. So to have CDT-9 with the transport in the middle, you will have to buy the upgraded LPS-212. 

CDT-9 comes with either a switching power supply or bundled with LPS-212.  So unless you must have the nicer look (expect to pay about 50% more than CDT-8) with some small improvement over CDT-8 (due to external LPS-212).
If you want to consider CDT-9, buy the bundled version with LPS-212. 

I will try to publish the product info by end of the week.

mresseguie

« Reply #11 on: 24 Mar 2021, 10:51 pm »
Jason,

Thank you for explaining the mystery. It's definitely not what I anticipated, but knowledge is power in this case.  :thumb:

rird

« Reply #12 on: 3 Apr 2021, 02:58 pm »
What i would like to know, how much better is CDT 10 over 8 Pro?
Or is it better to look at something like Jays audio CDT 2 mk3?

maxima95

« Reply #13 on: 3 Apr 2021, 03:34 pm »
Your question re: CDT 8 and 10 has been addressed in another thread in this forum:

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=161395.40

Jason, is there any CDT-9 product information forthcoming?

LostInPA

rird

« Reply #15 on: 3 Apr 2021, 06:16 pm »
I don't find anything useful in either of those two links.
I don't think i should dive to deep in to my old sins, because most would think i am lying anyway.
But, there is this but. If you have a ridiculously expensive transports and dac, then test the dac with a DVD, you will hear yourself what happens.
This is why i wonder if even is possible for the CDT 10 to beat the 8. A perfectly good cdt could throw a stability and ultra preciseness, not to talk to authority to the whole spectrum.
I wonder if the EVO dac manage to grow to further lengths than we think!?
For an answer to this, someone must actually experience this. I wish i had a transport to test with.
Well, perhaps someone have a chance to do a test at their home?

maxima95

« Reply #16 on: 3 Apr 2021, 08:21 pm »
Both of the links provided for you directly addressed the question you posed in your Reply #12 above.

However, this is a thread on the CDT-9 Transport. 

If you wish to re-plow ground on the CDT-8 and 10, you could tack on to the above threads provided to you or start your own.

rustydoglim

« Reply #17 on: 13 Apr 2021, 07:16 pm »
Power supply, circuit power/ground layout, parts (capacitors, resistors, opamp, etc), AC filter design, shielding, etc all contribute to the performance of CD transport, in addition to small details within the CD transport board.
That's why CDT-10 sounded better than CDT-8 Pro.

CDT-9 on the other hand, will sound better than CDT-8 Pro only if it is purchased with LPS-212 bundle. Some people prefer to pay a few hundred $ more for a nicer look and slightly better sound.  Oh well, it is only a few nights hotel cost.  :thumb:

djbnh

« Reply #18 on: 18 Apr 2021, 06:11 am »
CDT-9 on the other hand, will sound better than CDT-8 Pro only if it is purchased with LPS-212 bundle. Some people prefer to pay a few hundred $ more for a nicer look and slightly better sound.  Oh well, it is only a few nights hotel cost.  :thumb:
As one who recently put $$$ down on the CDT-9 plus LPS-212 - our family's first / only transport acquisition - we are hoping that the improved sound will transcend what some might feel is a flip response from the builder / owner re: "slightly better sound". This is is our first venture into NuPrime. Upon reading your comments, now we wonder if it is worth it. We hope you might understand that your comments bring into question the efficacy of my / family's recent purchase. Perhaps you might even more honestly expound upon the wonderful qualities of the CDT-9 plus the  LPD-212, over the CDT-8. Or via PM let us know otherwise.

Bewildered in NH

rustydoglim

« Reply #19 on: 18 Apr 2021, 02:33 pm »
My comment is typically modest.
Here are the CDTs in Nuprime family and their prices (starting May 1, 2021):
CDT-8 Pro  $995
CDT-9 with LPS 212   $1495
CDT-10 $2049

I would say that CDT-10 is much better than CDT-8 or CDT-9+LPS212. 
So, excuse my lack of words, perhaps I should say that CDT-9+LPS212 is better than CDT-8 Pro :)
Still, high end audio is relative, how we perceive the sound quality of a component is highly dependent on the entire system.
If you have a highly resolved system, then you will find CDT-9+LPS212 noticeably better than CDT-8 Pro.
But if you are simply using IDA-8 with a CDT, then I would say it is slightly better, subject to individual opinion.

Again, high-end audio is relative and subjective. Just like sports car (before the arrival of EV), people will pay 50% more just to get one second of improvement from 0-60mph.  How much an improvement is 4 seconds from 4.5 seconds ? One must understand that Nuprime has the best performance versus value than most other high end brands.  CDT-8 Pro can equal the performance of other CDT costing 3X the price, our entry level products are near reference quality. So when I talk about our own products I have to take that into consideration.  Take the AMG STA-9 mono amp for example, at $1595 x 2, it was being compared to a $40,000 CH 1.5 amp, even surpassed the top of the line class A amp in some aspect but lose out in other areas (refer to the review on hifi-advice.com)