pssssst vinnie

rosconey

pssssst vinnie
« on: 12 Mar 2005, 03:10 pm »
got a idea for you-
no one is addressing dedicated tube based hard drive music servers for audio philes yet-
 :mrgreen:

not sure if you can do this but figured it was worth a mention-

Jon L

pssssst vinnie
« Reply #1 on: 12 Mar 2005, 04:29 pm »
Hehe.  Funny, but Vinnie has not yet made a tube-based project to my knowledge, so wrong place to joke about it...  However, look at the following info about computer power supplies:

"Power requirements for a modern ATX+12V power supply:

+5V(2), +12V (2), -12V, +3.3V

One of the 12V legs is for CD/DVD/Hard drives. You also need an always-on +5V supply for the soft power-on feature of most modern motherboards, as well as the relay control for soft-power on in the power supply itself."

It seems to me Vinnie could easily develop a 12V SLA battery system for the most important 12V rail in computer PS, one that supplies the soundcard, hard drive, etc, leaving all the less important low voltage stuff intact in stock computer PS.  With ever-expanding audio PC market, and lack of "audiophile" grade computer PS, heck I'll buy one or two...

Bemopti123

pssssst vinnie
« Reply #2 on: 12 Mar 2005, 07:35 pm »
He stated somewhere that he was not interested in fiddling with tube designs.  I wonder if your proposal have overlooked his thoughts.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Re: pssssst vinnie
« Reply #3 on: 12 Mar 2005, 07:46 pm »
Quote from: rosconey
got a idea for you-
no one is addressing dedicated tube based hard drive music servers for audio philes yet-
 :mrgreen:

not sure if you can do this but figured it was worth a mention-

Hey Rosconey,

It is true that I am not really a tube-guy...just not my cup o' tea.  
A battery powered music server, or battery powered USB dac appeals to me much more than tubes  :D

I have some ideas up my sleeve...just need the time to get to them all.   :hyper:

BTW, a friend of mine connected his IPod (newest generation) to the Clari-T-Amp.  We placed the tiny IPod on top of the Clari-T-Amp, and played "lossless compression" files and used a headphone to RCA adapter (custom 6" length of cable) to the Clari-T-Amp.  IPod was set to max volume, and the volume was controlled by the Clari-T-Amp's shunt-pot volume control.  It sounded quite good!  Not as good as the battery powered SN DacKit, but not too far off from that actually!  

I didn't expect the IPod to sound so good, but it did.  The little thing also holds a ton of CDs, and is easy to use.  Pair with the Clari-T-Amp, this was the smallest sized, big-sounding unit I've ever heard...just add good speakers!  :drums:

Thanks for your input,