AvsFan

Re: Newbie
« Reply #20 on: 12 Jun 2020, 08:31 pm »
AvsFan,

You just got your speakers.  I own my own pair of Super 3HO speakers and can tell you that until you have a minimum of 100 hours on them you don’t know what they sound like.

they start ok but a little tight, start to loosen up a little and sound a bit better, loosen up some more and then inexplicably sound worse before they seem to relax and open up.  Frustrating.

I’ve put mine back into main rotation and can say that after being put away for a few months they seem like they need to break in again.

Louis is correct:  the extra driver adds 3 dB in the midbass.  It doesn’t make the speaker go any lower, it gives it more power within its range.  For me the primary benefit was for the speaker to be able to go louder and sound a bit fuller within its range.  In my room for full satisfaction I still need a subwoofer.

I know, I know, I am trying sooooo hard to be patient. And I know the sound I am getting now from them will sound totally different within the next month or so.

You pretty much summed it up how I feel about the HO's at this time. They sound okay to start with, then I get impressed and am like wow, okay, I hear the magic and then all of a sudden they sound worse again. It's so weird. Just yesterday they sounded rich and full, now today lean and anemic. How they bounce back and forth is odd. But it's break in time and once they're fully loosened up, I know I will hear what they truly do.

I am curious to hear for myself if I need a subwoofer once all broken in, I bet I do but I can't get a sub to sound right in here. Room acoustics is a beast that is hard to control. Dual subs in this room sound terrible, same dual subs in my theater room, sound GREAT!

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
« Reply #21 on: 13 Jun 2020, 04:50 pm »
I agree with the comments regarding need for break in.  While we can debate the usefulness or reality of break in with some electronics, with speakers it is clearly true with physical need to get the drivers, surrounds in particular, pliable. 

I have SAMHO's and have found that plugging the ports makes the bass slightly less strong, but clearer and more defined.  Maybe not the way to go without sub but, with sub, definitely try it since the sub can make up the difference at that lower frequency.  Maybe easier to blend also.  I haven't tried port plugging with the ferrites though.

I didn't see what subs you are running.  That will make a difference also.  Best are fast subs such as Omegas or servo subs such as Rythmik.  I'm sure there are other fast subs that I haven't heard. 

My Rythmiks have roll off control for blending, for example.  I can set it at 12db or 24db rolloff.  They also have hi/med/lo damping control with the servo function.  Most subs have crossover controls and level as well.

Finally, phase control and/or placement after "sub crawl" will make a difference.

.......Pete

doggie

« Reply #22 on: 15 Jun 2020, 11:26 am »
I dislike that dudes posts just as much as everyone else. BUT  I have to say when I started using subs, adding more bass, with my omega speakers  (or any speaker) I though it added something I was missing. Something didn't know I was missing because it was great already.....completely happy without. In fact I have a rythmik f8 for my CAMs but its in the other room and i dont' feel like moving it. Maybe that means I lazy? Maybe that means they are good enough?

Also in regards to low power, for me thats 2 watts (with Omega or other speakers)  I am constantly questioning if its enough and spend money and buy different amps and I always return back to my 2 watt amps.

And welcome new guy. I think I can speak for everyone else and say that we'd like to see a picture.   :D

I agree on all accounts. Dude's troll was a very grumpy and out of place. Second. I have the HO towers and although they do have satisfying bass on their own the two 12" SVS subs that I added are worthwhile.

OP. Yes. Welcome! ...and please post a photo of your new speakers when you get a chance. Also give them time to relax. They will keep getting better for easily 100 to 200 hours.

Murphy

« Reply #23 on: 15 Jun 2020, 08:53 pm »
Fellows, thanks for the comments, I appreciate most of them; I just don't see myself as self serving.

Pics were requested, hope these show up. New Super 7 cabinets w/Alnico driver upgrade. Notice the pair of Minuets in Red Parisian Maple between them - Louis made these for me in 2006! Sound and look as good as ever!

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #24 on: 15 Jun 2020, 09:06 pm »
Nice!

Rischa

« Reply #25 on: 16 Jun 2020, 12:14 am »
Those are beauties, congrats! If you don't mind me asking, why did you choose the Super 7 cabinets as opposed to CAMs or SAMs?

Murphy

« Reply #26 on: 16 Jun 2020, 03:33 am »
Sure, it is a little smaller cabinet, height and width-wise, which I preferred, and I was drawn to it aesthetically - I like that the baffle is the Golden Ratio:). Plus, Louis told me the Alnico driver would work very well in that cabinet.

That was it.

guf

« Reply #27 on: 16 Jun 2020, 04:10 am »
cool!

roscoe65

« Reply #28 on: 16 Jun 2020, 01:05 pm »
Sure, it is a little smaller cabinet, height and width-wise, which I preferred, and I was drawn to it aesthetically - I like that the baffle is the Golden Ratio:). Plus, Louis told me the Alnico driver would work very well in that cabinet.

That was it.

The Super 7, CAM, and Super 3 HO are pretty much all the same volume, with slightly different proportions.  All of them are optimized for the volume equivalent of a 6”-7” driver.  Two 4.5” drivers are the same area as well.

I can say from my personal experience with my Super 3HO monitors that they are not a straight bass reflex.  I won’t voice my suspicions since this is how Louis makes his money, but I can see how the alignment offers a lot of flexibility and tighter bass.

doggie

« Reply #29 on: 18 Jun 2020, 10:48 am »
One other thing to add. It took me a long time to figure out that these speakers sound best when used in as much of a near-field placement as possible.

In my listening room near-field placement helps eliminate room effects making the sound more coherent, realistic and with better center fill.

YMMV :-)

RDavidson

« Reply #30 on: 18 Jun 2020, 01:44 pm »
Yes, near-field works nicely, especially in a smaller listening space. My ears are within ~7ft of my CAMs. The alternative is to get a lot of room treatments and experiment with toe-in angle. Definitely a YMMV thing as a lot depends on one's listening space (size and reflectivity of surfaces).

zimmer266

« Reply #31 on: 21 Jun 2020, 09:17 pm »
Those look great! Congratulations.

I am enjoying the near field listening at about 6-7 feet, racking up my hours for the moment. It's too tough to skip tweaking along with the break-in. There are things to swap out in the meantime.