Dan’s Wedgie Build

Hirst

Re: Dan’s Wedgie Build
« Reply #40 on: 10 Jul 2019, 12:00 am »
Before you spend a lot of money on amps for these speakers, I'd highly recommend a little chip based amp like the Folsom model. With 94db sensitivity they just don't need a lot of power, and those amps sound about as good as any amps that I have heard.

I am running Jeremy's amp with my wedgies and servo amps.  It is a lovely sounding combination.  I also have the boards for his new amp and I am looking forward to putting it together as well. 

Paul

Danny Richie

« Reply #41 on: 10 Jul 2019, 01:28 am »
Danny, could you pls post a double plot of acoustical output AND impedance?

What frequency do you recommend for a line-level hi-pass filter for these?

The impedance plot is posted above.

The measured frequency responses are posted here: https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=155092.msg1679963#msg1679963

You can cross these to anything that will play up to 200Hz.

And they naturally roll off below 200Hz. So any filter that removes the first two octaves will be fine.

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
« Reply #42 on: 10 Jul 2019, 03:30 am »

So any filter that removes the first two octaves will be fine.

OK; that sounds like a natural for the 0.022uF Miflex KPCU copperfoil/'propylene&paper/oil into a 100K load for 72Hz.

TYVM.
   :D
« Last Edit: 10 Jul 2019, 07:13 pm by jeffreybehr »

Danny Richie

« Reply #43 on: 10 Jul 2019, 04:55 pm »
OK; that sounds like a natural for the 0.022uF Miflex KPCU copperfoil/'propylene&paper/oils into a 100K load for 72Hz.

TYVM.
   :D

Yes, that is correct and should work great.

Danny23

« Reply #44 on: 16 Jul 2019, 12:54 am »
Progress continues!  I started glueing up the subwoofer base flat pack.  A HUGE “thank you” goes out to Jay, who went above and beyond during this process.  If any first-time builders are reading this, and are considering taking the leap, take it from this newbie that you should jump in with both feet.  Jay’s flat pack is a no-brainer.  Top notch quality, and truly the most sincere, honest, and forthright service I’ve experienced.

I’ve included a picture of the first sub getting glued up.  I’ve also included some pictures of Jay’s insane ninja packing skills.

Captainhemo

« Reply #45 on: 16 Jul 2019, 01:15 am »
LOL,  just  glad  you've got  what  you need  now man.
I'm not the insane Ninja packer, that  would   be   Mr  Don  :thumb:

jay   

Danny23

« Reply #46 on: 23 Jul 2019, 02:36 pm »
Wedgies are DONE!  I used two layers of Raamaudio Raammat mass damper sheets to help damp both wings. I have no idea if it will help, but it certainly made a big difference with the knuckle test and the weight.  Since I requested that Jay build my sub flat packs with 1” tops and bottoms (but 1.5” sides) for a uniform appearance after the grille recesses were cut, I acquired this Raammat to damp the interior panels of the subs due to the .5” reduction.  I figured a couple of layers on the Wedgie wings might help.  I then covered the Raammat with a layer of foam that I found on clearance.

Now on to finishing the subs!

-Dan

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #47 on: 23 Jul 2019, 02:38 pm »
Great job Dan! Are they a grayish white?

Danny23

« Reply #48 on: 23 Jul 2019, 02:58 pm »
Great job Dan! Are they a grayish white?

Thanks!  It’s a light putty gray.  Some might call it dove grey.  The OB12 sub bases will be the same color, and I found some really cool vintage Fender replacement grille material that matches, which I’ll use for the subs only.

Captainhemo

« Reply #49 on: 23 Jul 2019, 03:16 pm »
Really  nice  Dan  :thumb:

jay

rockdrummer

« Reply #50 on: 24 Jul 2019, 12:56 pm »
Nice work! Looks terrific! I love the idea of the fender grill cloth. That will look really unique. I have a dark brown on my subs, I was thinking of doing some dark oxblood grills on mine. I ended up giving up on it, but sometimes regret it.

Good job.
Ben

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
« Reply #51 on: 24 Jul 2019, 06:42 pm »
Wedgies are DONE!  I used two layers of Raamaudio Raammat mass damper sheets to help damp both wings. I have no idea if it will help, but it certainly made a big difference with the knuckle test and the weight.  Since I requested that Jay build my sub flat packs with 1” tops and bottoms (but 1.5” sides) for a uniform appearance after the grille recesses were cut, I acquired this Raammat to damp the interior panels of the subs due to the .5” reduction.  I figured a couple of layers on the Wedgie wings might help.  I then covered the Raammat with a layer of foam that I found on clearance.

Now on to finishing the subs!

-Dan

WOW--those are VERY nice.  Your 'new' M-60s will make them sound glorious.   :)

Wind Chaser

« Reply #52 on: 25 Jul 2019, 02:03 am »
Wedgies are DONE! 

Incredible!  :thumb:

Looking forward to seeing them with the subs when they’re done. :D :D

ebag4

« Reply #53 on: 26 Jul 2019, 12:03 am »
Those look great Dan, excellent job.  As an owner of the previous generation of Wedgie, I know you are going to love them, they can disappear and image like no other speaker I have heard.  Thanks for sharing.

Best,
Ed

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
« Reply #54 on: 11 Aug 2019, 04:24 am »
Danny23--where are you?  Haven't heard from you since July 23.

Did you get your Atma-Sphere M60s running?
« Last Edit: 11 Aug 2019, 06:30 pm by jeffreybehr »

Danny23

« Reply #55 on: 11 Aug 2019, 12:34 pm »
Danny23--where are you?  Haven't heard from you since July 23.

Did you get your atma-Sphere M60s running?

Hey, Jeffrey!  Thanks for checking in.  My new rig isn’t up and running yet, but I’m still working hard at it.  My most recent detour has been room treatments. I still have to complete the subs, and some other various tidbits. I got a second dedicated line pulled, but I still need to pull the Ethernet cable.  A complete change of an entire system is a ton of work!  My guess is I’m still a month or two away from having the new room up and running.