Dan’s Wedgie Build

Captainhemo

Re: Dan’s Wedgie Build
« Reply #20 on: 22 May 2019, 03:13 pm »
I do have a flat pack  ( a  couple actually)  and  8 brand new  Lgk drivers .  We had planned to build out a pair but  things have gotten busy and  just  don't  other projects are  taking up   "play time".
Danny will have all the network parts you'd need.

Let me know if interested and I'll double ched,  I'd have to go back and see what the  actual cost was on Lgk drivers. they are all sitting in  the original boxes aside from one that   we test mounted in the   prototype  baffles. 

jay

drmike

« Reply #21 on: 22 May 2019, 03:36 pm »
are the tweeters available?
thanks,
drmike

Captainhemo

« Reply #22 on: 22 May 2019, 03:47 pm »
Yes,  they use  Danny's new  Neo3, lots in stock.
http://gr-research.com/grneo3.aspx

If you're interested, either PM me or  shoot me an email to captainhemo at  shaw.ca ,  we  probably  should quit hijacking  dan's build thread   !
jay

Danny23

« Reply #23 on: 23 May 2019, 10:14 pm »
A brief update - first few color coats are down. I really like this color selection.  I think the black drivers will look great against this grey.

A had a quick conversation with Danny R regarding my idea to deepen the standard H-frame by about 3” so the Wedgies wouldn’t overhang the back, and I figured I’d share in case others could benefit from it.  He said it would likely reduce the ability to reach the upper crossover point to the wedgies, and recommended I stick with the typical H-frame design.  So I’ll live with a little overhang in the rear. No big deal.

Captainhemo

« Reply #24 on: 24 May 2019, 05:57 pm »
Looking good  Dan,  I think you are right  with regards to the  black drivers on the grey  cabs.. will lok sharp :)
Just  build your h-frames with   overhanging tops/bases like  our  standard cnc  flat packs use, the  wedgies fit right on them  .

jay

Danny23

« Reply #25 on: 24 May 2019, 06:21 pm »
Looking good  Dan,  I think you are right  with regards to the  black drivers on the grey  cabs.. will lok sharp :)
Just  build your h-frames with   overhanging tops/bases like  our  standard cnc  flat packs use, the  wedgies fit right on them  .

jay

Jay - I didn’t realize that!  Would you mind sharing the measurement of the top, both length and width? Thanks!

Captainhemo

« Reply #26 on: 24 May 2019, 06:45 pm »
19x17"  gives  1.5"  overhang all the way around ... you  can adjust  to suit  your  personal requirements.
We  just  a couple pairs with a  custom sized top for a customer, he wanted a bit different  overhang....

note though,   that  measurement is with  1.5"  side panels  and a  1"  baffle  which we use in all our sub   kits.  If you  are only using  a .75" baffle make them 19 x 16.75
jay

Danny23

« Reply #27 on: 25 May 2019, 01:00 am »
19x17"  gives  1.5"  overhang all the way around ... you  can adjust  to suit  your  personal requirements.
We  just  a couple pairs with a  custom sized top for a customer, he wanted a bit different  overhang....

note though,   that  measurement is with  1.5"  side panels  and a  1"  baffle  which we use in all our sub   kits.  If you  are only using  a .75" baffle make them 19 x 16.75
jay

This is great news!  I’ll hit you up for a flat pack.  Thanks for the heads up.

Another brief update - I started making the crossover boards today.  LOTS of sanding.  As you can see from the pics, I’m using some leopardwood.  These boards will get lots of urethane after the glue dries.  The urethane should really make the grain pop.

Captainhemo

« Reply #28 on: 25 May 2019, 05:10 pm »
This is great news!  I’ll hit you up for a flat pack.  Thanks for the heads up.

Another brief update - I started making the crossover boards today.  LOTS of sanding.  As you can see from the pics, I’m using some leopardwood.  These boards will get lots of urethane after the glue dries.  The urethane should really make the grain pop.

Looking forward to seing that   wood with a  finish on it  :thumb:

The last  couple pairs of  Hframes we sent out, they guy  also had us do the tops/bases out of 1" Medex so that the  thickness matched the  exposed  side panel  face  (side panels are 1.5"  but   each has a  .5"  rabbet  / recess for  an optional grill frame.
There is some  lead time needed on these so  please keep that in mind  if you  want  some down the road
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=139480.0

jay

Danny23

« Reply #29 on: 28 May 2019, 10:25 pm »
I got one crossover board done.  If anyone sees any glaring issues, please let me know.  One question I had was regarding the negative line.  I ran one continuous run, and just made both connections (woofer and tweeter) at the same point.  So the tweeter’s .27 inductor is connected to the woofer’s 5ohm resister, and the tweeter’s positive and the woofer’s negative are all connected at on junction.  Is this okay?

In other news, I got the flat packs ordered for the subwoofer bases.  Thanks, Jay!!!!  And thank you for tolerating my customizations.  :thumb:

Danny Richie

« Reply #30 on: 28 May 2019, 11:32 pm »
All of that looks good.

Captainhemo

« Reply #31 on: 29 May 2019, 03:26 pm »
I got one crossover board done.  If anyone sees any glaring issues, please let me know.  One question I had was regarding the negative line.  I ran one continuous run, and just made both connections (woofer and tweeter) at the same point.  So the tweeter’s .27 inductor is connected to the woofer’s 5ohm resister, and the tweeter’s positive and the woofer’s negative are all connected at on junction.  Is this okay?

In other news, I got the flat packs ordered for the subwoofer bases.  Thanks, Jay!!!!  And thank you for tolerating my customizations.  :thumb:

No worries  ,  looks like  we  have   the sheets  in stock so  hopefully we can get these cut  and out  to you relatively  soon.

jay

Danny23

« Reply #32 on: 30 May 2019, 01:12 am »
Danny - Thank you for checking! 

Jay - Great news!!!  Thanks!

Well, the second crossover sure went together a lot faster.  One of the best tips I got from Danny’s “Crossovers 101” sticky thread is to twist up the first crossover and then slide the board under; but for the second board, mount the components first to mimic the first board, THEN make your connections.  Making the connections is slightly more difficult this way, but it ensures your boards will be identical copies of one another.  Good for the OCD...

Danny23

« Reply #33 on: 23 Jun 2019, 03:42 pm »
It’s been awhile since I’ve updated this this build thread, but it’s not because of a lack of work!!!  This was my first attempt at doing a “good” rattle can paint job.  I properly primed, sanded between color coats, sanded between clear coats, and polished the final product.  Although it turned out pretty well, it was VERY time consuming because of repeated flaws with the rattle can clear.  Every attempt to lay down a good coat was met with wrinkled spots.  It was an endless cycle of attempts, then sanding down and retrying. At the end of the day, I’m pleased with how they turned out.  Now on to wiring them up and building the OB 12 subwoofer H frames.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #34 on: 23 Jun 2019, 04:56 pm »
Those look really nice.

I find rattle cans hard to get smooth coats out of. They tend to get a buildup on the tip and have a tendency to sputter, especially as the propellant gets low. A satin sheen is easier to lay down. It's more forgiving than gloss.

Mike

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #35 on: 23 Jun 2019, 08:27 pm »
Those look great!  And Jupiter copper bypass caps, man those are gonna sound nice.

Danny23

« Reply #36 on: 28 Jun 2019, 01:33 am »
As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I’m assembling some better gear for my new Wedgie system.  I picked up a Sonic Frontiers SFD2 MKIII DAC, which are pretty hard to come by these days. This is the 1704-k version, not the Ultra Analog versions.

I’m looking for wisdom on my amp selection.  I’d really like to run the Atma-Sphere OTL amps, but I wanted to ensure the impedance of the Wedgies is friendly with the Wedgies.  I know they have a nominal 8ohm impedance, but does anyone know if they dip lower than 8ohms anywhere?  I just want to ensure they’re compatible.

Danny Richie

« Reply #37 on: 28 Jun 2019, 02:00 am »
Wedgie impedance:

Before you spend a lot of money on amps for these speakers, I'd highly recommend a little chip based amp like the Folsom model. With 94db sensitivity they just don't need a lot of power, and those amps sound about as good as any amps that I have heard.

Danny23

« Reply #38 on: 28 Jun 2019, 02:14 am »
Wedgie impedance:

Before you spend a lot of money on amps for these speakers, I'd highly recommend a little chip based amp like the Folsom model. With 94db sensitivity they just don't need a lot of power, and those amps sound about as good as any amps that I have heard.

Thanks for the chart! Very helpful.  I’ve collected all the parts to build Folsom’s chip amp, and have recently received his boards for his new 7293 amp.  I figured I could try both SS and OTL tubes to see which I prefer.  However, I’m not sure the 4ohm load above 4khz will play nice with the Atma-Spheres 

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
« Reply #39 on: 9 Jul 2019, 11:37 pm »
Danny, could you pls post a double plot of acoustical output AND impedance?

What frequency do you recommend for a line-level hi-pass filter for these?