My visit to the Salk shop

audio1246

My visit to the Salk shop
« on: 10 Feb 2013, 05:59 pm »
My family and I had the opportunity to visit the Salk shop yesterday. And in simple words, the experience was quite extraordinary! Thanks again for the hospitality and opportunity Jim! I'm not sure if the people in and around the workshop realize about the kind of amazing works of art that get created in suite 204 :)

Jim took us on a tour inside the shop and showed all the steps involved in creating a speaker. Note the emphasis on the word create ( and not manufacture! ). Wow the place is so well kept. I am impressed! There are some unique techniques that are applied ( of course I was not aware of them! ) such as the vacuum bag veneer press. Wow!

There were quite some interesting veneer selections in some speakers being built. Some of which I was told were the only kind to exist. Talk about being unique! You couldn't ask for anything more custom could you?

Now coming to the main purpose of my visit - to listen to the Supercharged SongTowers and Veracity HT2-TLs.  Jim mentioned that there was a pair of each finishing up, and graciously accepted my request for a listening session. It turned out that there were the Soundscape 8s as well. My lucky day!

Mrs Salk had already set everything up and everything was ready to go. Thank you!

I took the sweet spot ( from my 9yr old son :) ) and then Jim put on some music. Wow. The sound was amazing. I did not know which speakers were playing the music. The set up was set in such a way that we could switch between the SCSTs and HT2-TLs. I did not know which speakers were playing at that time. Whichever set was playing the music - did not matter at that moment. All was good! I asked Jim to reduce the volume - so that I could relate to similar levels that I'm used to. The sound seemed full. Not sure if I am expressing in words but I could distinctly hear the lows, mids and highs. They were right Bout the RAALs. Those sweet things produce such clean highs. Impressive. Then when asked, I was told that the SCSTs were playing the music. After a couple of tracks Jim switched over it the front ported HT2-TLs and wow the sound seemed to be fuller. The lows had the thump. Nothing boomy. Just full. Jim played the same track on the SCSTs and the HT2-TLs and definitely the sound was fuller on the HT2-TLs. There were a few more tracks played from Jim's collection. Music sounded so clean and so real.

I then requested that the SS8s also get connected. Jim as always, graciously accepted. The SS8s were not level matched though - and had a different sweet spot. I switched places. Some of the tracks were played on the SS8s and from what I remember. The SS8s reproduce music as close to reality that you can get. The kick drums had that realistic sound. As if the music was playing in front of us. Like a live band.

I had a few of my CDs that I took along with me. And we played a few tracks. I took the remote and started switching between the SCSTs and HT2-TLs and also added the SS8s to the mix. The SCSTs seemed so well behaved in the mid to high notes. Amazing. Understandably the bass was not as pronounced as the HT2-TLs - but nothing that knocks them off. My ELTs would bite the dust - and so would some high priced speakers!

Everything sounded so good. It's so tough in taking a decision. The SS8s are definitely out of my reach and the HT2-TLs would stretch my budget. However at this time I am leaning more towards the HT2-TLs but who knows I might get the SCSTs. Both are amazing speakers. I'm sure I would be happy with either selection.

We were at the Salk shop for more than an hour and left the place with so many sweet memories! Thanks Jim. I hope to get in touch with you soon!

Frans

• Has anyone seen my last marble?
Re: My visit to the Salk shop
« Reply #1 on: 10 Feb 2013, 06:52 pm »
Thank you for this great write-up! I would like to visit the shop someday, but just haven't had the opportunity! Did you take any pictures?

audio1246

« Reply #2 on: 10 Feb 2013, 07:02 pm »
You should visit if possible. No I did not take any pictures. I guess I was too busy appreciating everything. Maybe the next time :)

benguin

« Reply #3 on: 10 Feb 2013, 09:09 pm »
I echo the sentiments above.  We were so glad to have found Salk Sound, and even more fortunate to work it into our return trip from the east coast.

We have been delighted with our Salk speakers, and know that you can't go wrong with any of those choices.  It was really a treat to get to hear various Salk speakers in direct comparison- they are all top notch and built with obvious pride by the whole crew.

rohrej

« Reply #4 on: 11 Feb 2013, 03:56 am »
I really want to make a similar pilgrimage one of these days, but it is a long trek from CA.  BTW, did you happen to see any SCSTs being built with Eucalyptus veneer?  Those ones are mine; quite anxious to see how they come out!

Nuance

« Reply #5 on: 11 Feb 2013, 03:47 pm »
Thanks for sharing your experience, audio1246.  My visit to Jim's shop was also priceless, and I highly recommend it to anyone and everyone.  We hope you'll be a member of the Salk family soon.

audio1246

« Reply #6 on: 11 Feb 2013, 04:49 pm »
I really want to make a similar pilgrimage one of these days, but it is a long trek from CA.  BTW, did you happen to see any SCSTs being built with Eucalyptus veneer?  Those ones are mine; quite anxious to see how they come out!

Sorry I don't specifically remember having seen any SCSTs with eucalyptus veneer. I'm sure they must be hiding somewhere. From what I have seen at the shop, the finish will definitely turn out to be spectacular - I am certain of that!

audio1246

« Reply #7 on: 11 Feb 2013, 04:50 pm »
Thanks for sharing your experience, audio1246.  My visit to Jim's shop was also priceless, and I highly recommend it to anyone and everyone.  We hope you'll be a member of the Salk family soon.

You are welcome! I hope so too!

repete66211

« Reply #8 on: 11 Feb 2013, 06:25 pm »
Congrats on the visit.  I'm jealous.  Some day I'd like to drop in myself.  I've enjoyed the hell out of my Salk 5.2 setup.

Mountain-ear

« Reply #9 on: 12 Feb 2013, 01:35 am »
I, too, had an opportunity to visit with Jim and Mary recently while on a business trip to the Detroit area.  They were most gracious hosts, and it was a lot of fun to meet the folks who built, tested, and packaged my speakers.  There's a lot of hand craftsmanship that goes into each one, and I am more convinced than ever that Salk speakers are a great value for the money.

I saw quite a few models while I was there, but the most impressive was Nemir's SS8 home theater system with dual 15" subwoofers.  That system is awesome!

Thanks again, Jim and Mary, for your hospitality.

Steve

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #10 on: 12 Feb 2013, 04:05 am »

charmerci

« Reply #11 on: 12 Feb 2013, 06:02 pm »

Well den, have yurself a few pichers of beeer!!!  :lol: