Sub connection tips

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
Re: Sub connection tips
« Reply #20 on: 22 Feb 2012, 06:47 pm »
The Y or not to Y issue at either the control amp or subwoofer end is to determine if the L and R line outputs on your control amp are actively isolated from each other.  If not, then combining them through a Y connector will at best blend the two channels and give you wide band mono performance.  At worst, you might damage your line circuits.

Assuming your subwoofer has stereo inputs and that its own inputs are actively isolated, then the safe mode would simply be a stereo cable connection from your integrated amp to the stereo line inputs on the subwoofer.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

Bigfishhk

Re: Sub connection tips
« Reply #21 on: 23 Feb 2012, 02:13 am »
So.. Spoke to KRrell, blue jeans cable and Rythmik again. They said no problem to connect y cable to int amp pre outs to sum the line signal to mono. The line signal is not amplified and they deemed it be ok way to go.

A couple of hours ago I did just that. Seems to be running fine. Sub needs integration of course so I will play around.

In early stages I already love the exta heft, slam the sub provides. And the 12" seems plenty enough, but again early days.

Thanks for all the feedback.
Tom