Anyone using JPlay?

Zuman

Anyone using JPlay?
« on: 12 Feb 2024, 02:25 pm »
I've been hearing more about JPlay recently, and some high-end players are using it.
I currently use Roon. I have Roon ROCK installed on an Intel NUC, my NAD M50.2 player/vault is my endpoint and contains my downloaded music library on its internal storage, and I use a dedicated Android tablet as a remote.
I'd prefer to continue with a dedicated "host" if I move to JPlay (using something like my NUC as opposed to installing the software on my laptop, for example). Does JPlay need a full Windows or Mac environment to function?
Thanks!

celebrat

Re: Anyone using JPlay?
« Reply #1 on: 12 Feb 2024, 05:45 pm »
I am using JPlay for my streaming along with the JCAT Xact S1 server steamer. I can input up to 4TB in music files on the JCAT Xact S1. I also use Roon with another complete server streamer set up and 15TB of files.

My DAC is connected to JCAT via USB (currently only way to connect) DAC also connected to ROON system via optical input.

Bottom line is I get significant superior sound from the JPlay/JCAT system but prefer ROON as opposed to the Jplay interface. I seldom stream with ROON, playing all my downloaded files instead. I stream all the time with JPlay/JCAT Xact S1. The sound quality is quite amazing for streaming and playing local files.

Hope this helps

JMW73

Re: Anyone using JPlay?
« Reply #2 on: 12 Feb 2024, 07:07 pm »
I also use JPlay and actually have dropped Roon. The interface isn’t as nice, but it’s very good and the sound quality is great.

JPlay does need a network, and for Windows needs network sharing turned on. I also had to install Minimserver to make it work correctly. So, I think the answer to you question is “yes” but it’s not using system resources like Roon is.