next steps after JE Labs OB

paba

next steps after JE Labs OB
« on: 6 Nov 2009, 06:57 pm »
Hi all,

so I have the JE LABs panels and was wondering what would be some options to make this smaller or easier to integrate in the room.

The options I would like feedback on are:
1) bring the width down to just slightly more than the driver diameter and fold back the orignal baffle suface sort of making sides either at right angle or some angle maybe with piano hinges.. in short no top but deeper sides and narrow baffle still sitting on the floor like original at an angle.

2) raise the driver way up to say ear level when sitting down on a board that is slightly wider than driver but no sides this time, like a narrow tomb stone if you get the picture with the driver near the top.

I know that both probably compromise the bass even more but maybe I can back fill with two small subs, especially in option 2 as the subs might fit perfectly below the driver, behind the front board and actually act as a weight holding down the thing.

in both cases, I hope the narrower baffle helps with the stereo image.

thanks for the tips
/paba

scorpion

Re: next steps after JE Labs OB
« Reply #1 on: 6 Nov 2009, 07:09 pm »
I think the most obvious question will be, what unit/s are you using in the JE baffle ?

/Erling

paba

« Reply #2 on: 6 Nov 2009, 08:31 pm »
Hi Erling,

specific driver shouldn't matter much, it is the OB theory of making these types of changes I'm after,versus the original JE Labs OB (what I gain what I loose etc..)  but if it does matter then they are vintage Electro-Voice LT-15 (15 inch woofer with whizzer and then a coaxially mounted tweeter) circa 1969-1972.  So in marketing speak a tri-axial that covers 35-18,000.

cheers
/paba

Rudolf

« Reply #3 on: 6 Nov 2009, 08:55 pm »
Nr. 2)  :D

I propose that the response of that Electro-Voice LT-15 does not fall off above 150 Hz. Any baffle that is as wide as that driver would  support a linear response down to 200 Hz - then falling off with 6 dB/oct. A subwoofer plate amp with a x-over of 120-150 Hz would be sufficient to integrate a supporting woofer to the EV. Whether this woofer would be in a W-, H- or U-frame below the EV baffle is up to discussion. Of course the woofer would need the appropriate dipole EQ.

Rudolf