New LRS or .7's Maggies

I.Greyhound Fan

Re: New LRS or .7's Maggies
« Reply #20 on: 26 Dec 2019, 05:13 pm »
Would a Nuprime IDA-16 drive these LSR's properly?
What is recommended as the minimum distance from the front wall?
Thanks.

2.5 to 3 feet from the front wall but further out will work better. I have my 1.6's 3 feet from the front wall.  I am not sure that I can tell a difference from 2.5 feet.

dcbingaman

• Industry Participant
  • VPE Aerospace Consulting, LLC - LDW Model 1
« Reply #21 on: 27 Dec 2019, 04:52 am »
Yeah, I agree with this, 3 feet from the back wall and non-parallel placement to prevent the slap echo effect.  The LRS, because of its size is less directional in the critical 100-500 Hz region and so has an advantage over the bigger Maggies, but it is still a dipole radiator.  I don't know much about the amps you mention, but if it can put 100W in 3 ohms it will probably work.  Sreve Guttenberg (the Audiophiliac) recommends an $800 Schiit amplifier - not sure what model.  I like Pass amplifiers.

mick wolfe

« Reply #22 on: 27 Dec 2019, 04:30 pm »
Another question that might be asked of the Magnepan experts here.... as I'm kinda curious myself. Does the .7 offer any advantage in regard to a friendlier impedance curve or efficiency in comparison to the LRS?

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #23 on: 27 Dec 2019, 04:52 pm »
Would a Nuprime IDA-16 drive these LSR's properly?
What is recommended as the minimum distance from the front wall?
Thanks.

The IDA-16 at 200wpc should drive the LRS's.  Unfortunately, NP does not list specs for current and dynamic headroom.  Maggies like current and an amp with some headroom.  Just make sure that you use at least 12g speaker wire, 10 even better.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #24 on: 27 Dec 2019, 11:33 pm »
I went with the .7 over the LRS..
?
Wait.. I mean the 20.7     :thumb:
I COULD have just bought a swarm of LRS.. like TWENTY ONE pairs.. instead of the 20.7s
Maybe next time.....  :thumb:
Quantity always beats quality The 20.7 might be twice as good as THe LRS.. but not twenty times as good. But twice as good is OK by me. I'll keep them.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #25 on: 28 Dec 2019, 01:44 am »
I purposely have not heard the latest and the greatest top tier Magnepans as why torture myself as they're out of my price range.
To my ears the 20.7s are the best speakers I've heard.
A swarm of LRS', you say...

Jeff_From_Michigan

« Reply #26 on: 30 Dec 2019, 05:44 pm »
Agreed with the other posters saying that you generally get bigger and better sound the higher you climb up the Magnepan ladder.

Magnepan's website lists the frequency response of the LRS at 50-20, the .7 at 45-20.

The addition of a DWM Bass Panel or two would in theory provide a seamless blending with the LRS's and also get your bass response lower than that of either the LRS or .7's by themselves (down to 40). Of course, that would also mean more space, more cables, more cost, etc...Just wanted to point out another option.

brooklyn

« Reply #27 on: 31 Dec 2019, 01:15 am »
Well, I finally pulled the trigger on the Magnepan .7’s.. I’m told I have about a five week wait.
That puts me around the first week in February.. I’m exited..

I really don’t want a subwoofer so the .7’s are going to have to do it for me.. No room for a sub
anyway.. I appreciate all the input from forum members.. I’ll post a picture when I get them.

Now that I got that out of the way, are there any after market stands that A/C members like? I
made wooden platforms with spikes when I had my MMG’s but I no longer have them.. They gave
the Maggies slightly better focus rather than them laying on the rug. I think this time I want to go
with an iron stand with spikes..

dcbingaman

• Industry Participant
  • VPE Aerospace Consulting, LLC - LDW Model 1
« Reply #28 on: 31 Dec 2019, 01:29 am »
You know side-by-side LRS's might work - kind of like Double Advents from WAY back in the day.  You probably want to put the tweeters in the middle side-by-side to maintain some coherence. 

You could also stack them vertically since they are only ~ 48" tall, if you have a high enough ceiling.  They would approximate the total area of a 3.7 if used this way, and double the amount of bass area.  Just a thought.  At the price, it would be an interesting experiment to try and still a lot less than a pair of 3.7's.

I would bi-amp if you do it.  You probably don't want to try series or parallel connection with a single amplifier output stage.

jhm731

« Reply #29 on: 31 Dec 2019, 02:57 am »
Well, I finally pulled the trigger on the Magnepan .7’s.. I’m told I have about a five week wait.
That puts me around the first week in February.. I’m exited..

I really don’t want a subwoofer so the .7’s are going to have to do it for me.. No room for a sub
anyway.. I appreciate all the input from forum members.. I’ll post a picture when I get them.

Now that I got that out of the way, are there any after market stands that A/C members like? I
made wooden platforms with spikes when I had my MMG’s but I no longer have them.. They gave
the Maggies slightly better focus rather than them laying on the rug. I think this time I want to go
with an iron stand with spikes..

http://magnarisers.com/our-products.html

Saturn94

« Reply #30 on: 31 Dec 2019, 03:24 am »
http://magnarisers.com/our-products.html

A couple weeks ago I ordered a set of the Airborne stands for my LRS.  It’ll be interesting to see what difference they make.

brooklyn

« Reply #31 on: 1 Feb 2020, 05:09 pm »
Well, the Maggie’s arrived less then a week ago, they got here sooner then expected.. I do know Maggies need break-in but right now their sounding a little thin.I don’t remember the MMG’s sounding like that initially. My long time audio buddy is already encouraging me to get a sub. I may tough it out for a little longer to see if the bass improves. On the pro side, it’s nice seeing Maggies in my listening room again, it was like having an old friend come back to visit.

Saturn94

« Reply #32 on: 1 Feb 2020, 06:35 pm »
Play around with position, that might help.

I expected my LRS would sound a bit thin, but they don’t.  I still use a sub, but they are surprisingly satisfying full range.

I guess I got lucky they like where I put them.

twitch54

« Reply #33 on: 1 Feb 2020, 07:24 pm »
Play around with position, that might help.

agreed, IMO and given the pic you provided give them a little more space between the pair for starters. As for not having room for a sub, if your room can accommodate di-poles done correctly it can allow for a sub(or two)

Good Luck !

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #34 on: 1 Feb 2020, 09:43 pm »
  Can you get 7' to 8' center to center ? Try tweeters on inside. Can you move them back to 3' from front wall ? Give it a go. When and if you get a sub then you can pull out from front wall more. You may want to get off heavy carpet as well. Spikes ?
  Have fun,

charles

smargo

« Reply #35 on: 1 Feb 2020, 11:42 pm »
to be completely free of the constraints of a box - is so pleasing to the ears - by far the best i have had for $695 - its such a no brainer ( we all heard that a million times before)

when using with a decent sub (im using the svs 3000) it takes the sound from really good - to - miles beyond the best in its class. the stereo perspectives are amazing (imaging)

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #36 on: 2 Feb 2020, 01:57 am »
Brooklyn, I have never heard Maggies sound thin.  Give  them 75 hours of break in.  If they still sound thin, then it could be the electronics, room or placement.  Maggies live in the mid range.  Now they do benefit from subs which will fill out the bottom end.  2 subs work better than 1.

brooklyn

« Reply #37 on: 2 Feb 2020, 06:39 am »
I do have the the tweeters on the inside right now and they are more spread out then in the picture I posted. When I ran the MMG’s a few years back my electronics were a Prima Luna preamp and Bel Canto REF 500M mono amps. Now I’m using a Bel Canto PRe2 preamp and a Bel Canto REF 500s stereo amp which is pushing 500W per channel into 4 ohms.

I do have some options at this point like using my Woo Audio headphone amp as a preamp. I also have a PreSonus Temblor T8 Sub which won’t be optimal with the Maggies but I could see if it help’s. I will experiment with placement today, hopefully that will help. I’m thinking (hoping) the .7's just may need some break-in time. We’ll see. Thanks for all the suggestions.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #38 on: 2 Feb 2020, 07:33 am »
Brand new ones will take a while.
I remember how crestfallen I was when I first hooked up my new MMGs, they sounded just horrible.
I looked at my wife and said, "Maybe they'll get better?"
They did.

brooklyn

« Reply #39 on: 3 Feb 2020, 11:07 pm »
Last night I decided to try the PreSonus T8 Powered Sub which I was using with some powered monitors as a desktop system. I thought, what the hell let me try it with the Maggies. I didn’t really take too much time setting it up, just set the crossover and plugged it in. I figured this ain’t gonna work..

Well, I was in for quite a surprise, it sounded wonderful. I sat there scratching my head and said… WTF… I listened to music for hours, everything I played sounded great. Rock, classical and jazz. This turned out to work better than I imagined. I’m now thinking of getting a sub that might be better suited for the Maggies, maybe a REL T/Zero. So far I’m dumbfounded but very happy…. Life is good