Question for Jason T.

kylek

Question for Jason T.
« on: 22 Dec 2010, 07:09 pm »
Jason,

When you do the capacitor swaps in the Sensation amps with the Dodd tube buffer, do you desolder and solder from the bottom of the board?  Looks like a lot of wires to disconnect to get at the bottom of the board!

Thanks,

Kyle

se-riously

Re: Question for Jason T.
« Reply #1 on: 23 Dec 2010, 01:32 am »
Here's how I did it without disassembling anything (see 4th photo).  Not as nice looking as taking things apart and soldering the cap leads to the underside of the board, but electrically just as effective nonetheless.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=88868.0

kylek

« Reply #2 on: 23 Dec 2010, 02:25 am »
I saw your implementation earlier, and it certainly is tempting to do it that way.  I'm wondering if solder on the bottom side of the board could be sucked up through the hole from the top with an Edsyn solder-sucker.

se-riously

« Reply #3 on: 23 Dec 2010, 06:04 am »
I saw your implementation earlier, and it certainly is tempting to do it that way.  I'm wondering if solder on the bottom side of the board could be sucked up through the hole from the top with an Edsyn solder-sucker.

Even if you could suck it all up, how would you solder the new leads to the underside of the board?

kylek

« Reply #4 on: 23 Dec 2010, 06:20 pm »
Most boards these days have pads on both sides and plated-through holes.  I have soldered from the top in some situations with good results.  It's not easy with all the parts in the way, but capillary action draws the solder through to the bottom side.

Jason T

• Industry Participant
  • Enjoying the music
    • custom cables
« Reply #5 on: 7 Mar 2011, 02:12 am »
Sorry I just saw this post !
I solder to both sides.
you can remove the screws from the board and prop it up on the capacitor side about 1.5" which is plenty for me to de-solder the old caps and re-solder in the new ones.
the board has copper contacts on both sides that need to make contact, if you've done it from the top only and have had good results the solder must have snuck through the hole and made contact on the bottom of the board which is fine as long as it works.

the next one I do I'll take and post pictures (should be a few days)