Best Omega Speaker For My Room and Setup?

Slapshot

Best Omega Speaker For My Room and Setup?
« on: 25 Feb 2012, 09:39 pm »
Hello,

I finally have the rest of my system where I want it, but my current speakers, Silverline 17.5's, which I am very happy with otherwise, simply need more power to really open up. Since I am unwilling to part with my Atma-Sphere S-30 amplifier (30wpc), the logical choice is to move to more sensitive speakers. I have no experience with single driver loudspeakers, but I've heard and read nothing but positives about Omega speakers, and Louis, so here I am asking questions.

My room is 10x10, and the speakers need to be a bookshelf type, as they will be sitting in an actual bookshelf. The bookshelf is open at the rear, but there are only a few inches between that and the wall. I would be listening in nearfield, with the speakers about six feet from my sitting position. Also, please be aware that Atma-Sphere amps need a steady 8ohm or higher load to work well.

Initially, the Super 8 Alnico monitor would seem to fit the bill, but it's sensitivity at 93 db has me slightly concerned. Would my amp drive that to realistic levels for those instances where I want to seriously rock? Granted, I'm more often to be playing acoustic stuff, jazz, female singer-songwriter and ambient music, but I don't want to be limited.

Thanks for any recommendations, suggestions or expertise.

JC

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
Re: Best Omega Speaker For My Room and Setup?
« Reply #1 on: 26 Feb 2012, 12:31 am »
Hello JC,

Smart move to keep your amp.  If you have never paired it with high efficiency single driver speakers, I dare say you haven't heard your amp yet.  There is no Omega or Hoyt-Bedford speaker that would be a problem efficiency wise or load wise for your amp.  I would seriously consider the Hoyt-Bedford Type 1.  They can be run sealed or ported, are 97db efficient and will really sing on a couple of watts.  I run a pair with a 2 watt Decware amp and the results are stunning.

Slapshot

« Reply #2 on: 26 Feb 2012, 05:34 am »
Rob,

Thanks very much for your recommendation. I also strongly suspect I've yet to hear what my amp can do yet. Aren't the Hoyt-Bedford the lower end line for Omega though?
Within reason, money isnt really an issue here, as I can afford anything Omega offers.

JC

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 26 Feb 2012, 05:52 am »
The Hoyts are a ridiculous bargain, and in my opinion worth way more than the asking price, as are all the Omegas I have had the privilege to hear.  Also their high efficiency allows the dynamics of a low powered tube amp to really shine.  They will not be outclassed by even the best amplification.  I would recommend giving Louis at Omega a call as he may suggest the Super 8 Alnico Monitor or the Compact Hemps.  Another plus with the Hoyts is their friendliness to all types of music and amplification.  Louis can also do custom upgrades to them to increase their performance, although box stock is all I have heard and they leave me not crying for increased performance.  I have never heard better imagers than the Hoyts.

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #4 on: 27 Feb 2012, 12:55 am »
... I second the motion to call Louis. He is great to work with and know one knows the line better (for obvious reasons). I'm running 15 watts into Super 6 monitors with Deep hemp in a small bedroom and the max volume is more than I could tolerate for more than a few seconds. Also I've owned Compact Hemps. So the question IMO is not power but rather which speaker will work best with your setup. The bookshelf and close proximity to rear wall may be significant considerations that Louis will be in the best position to guide you within his line. Good luck.

frank111

« Reply #5 on: 27 Feb 2012, 10:09 pm »
Lets see, you have a 30watt amp that will possibly drive the Super 8 Alnico w/93db efficiency. And in a 10 by 10 room. At one meter 1 watt =93db, 2 watts= 96db,4 watts=99db, 8 watts= 102db,  & so on. Yeah I'd say the peaks are going to produce some serious sound for you. I run my HoytBedford type 1's with a McIntosh MC2505 and have never had it past 9 o'clock - ear bleeding territory and the sound is clean. The Omega & HoytBedford lines cant be beat for their price- soundstage, depth, nice freq. responses, and their efficiency.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #6 on: 27 Feb 2012, 11:05 pm »
30 wpc = 14 dB of gain (above stated speaker efficiency).

A small room (10 ft x 10 ft) would probably add another 3 dB.

So you could expect 110 dB peaks.

Most say classical and jazz peak around 105 dB, rock around 110 dB.

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #7 on: 28 Feb 2012, 12:48 am »
Gentlemen, these amps are rated RMS (continuous). Even played loud in a small room these speakers are only drawing a few watts per channel.

30 wpc = 14 dB of gain (above stated speaker efficiency).

A small room (10 ft x 10 ft) would probably add another 3 dB.

So you could expect 110 dB peaks.

Most say classical and jazz peak around 105 dB, rock around 110 dB.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #8 on: 28 Feb 2012, 10:59 am »
I've always heard that smaller amps are more nimble (faster), but as long as you still have useful volume control (isn't blasting by "9:00 on the dial") I've found that greater power provides more control, grip, resolution and of course headroom to protect from nasty clipping.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 28 Feb 2012, 06:48 pm »
Generally speaking, tube amps have gentler clipping than solid state which is easier on speakers.  As far as low powered tube amps go, the reason they are low powered is because their circuitry is simple.  Assuming the amp is well designed, that simple circuitry equates to a cleaner, faster amplifier. 

The caveat with these small amps is their low power.  They don't like low efficiency speakers and in some cases don't like a crossover network.  But match them with a pair of well designed, efficient single driver speakers and they can go where most high powered amps can't dream of.  It is a different world.

JC, your Atma-Sphere should absolutely romp with the Hoyt-Bedford Type 1s.  I realize the S-30 is not a cheap amp, but to buy expensive speakers for it just because your amp is expensive or you can afford expensive speakers is beside the point.  Its about suitability to your amp and listening room, and I believe the Type 1 would not leave you craving for more expensive speakers. 

Louis O

« Reply #10 on: 29 Feb 2012, 10:45 pm »
Hi JC,

I know your amp very well and it's very good.

Many thanks for all the great posts.

I do agree with Rob and Frank and Type 1's set up with your amp will sound scary good.

I would also consider the R or RS mods for the type 1. They are the least fussy and easy to set up Single driver speakers I know. Break in is also very short.

Thanks,
Louis

Slapshot

« Reply #11 on: 1 Mar 2012, 04:38 am »
Louis, Rob and all, thank you very much for your thoughts and comments. Louis, I've been to the Hoyt -Bedford website and it only briefly metions the R or RS mods as "coming soon". It appears as though, given that along with folk, Celtic, acoustic female vocals and jazz, I will be listening to a fair bit of rock, that a Type 3 subwoofer might be a wise addition. Does that make sense for my room?

JC

Hi JC,

I know your amp very well and it's very good.

Many thanks for all the great posts.

I do agree with Rob and Frank and Type 1's set up with your amp will sound scary good.

I would also consider the R or RS mods for the type 1. They are the least fussy and easy to set up Single driver speakers I know. Break in is also very short.

Thanks,
Louis

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: 2 Mar 2012, 08:40 pm »
JC,
I would start with just the speakers.  The Type 1 has very satisfying bass.  I would however look into the "R" or "RS" options.  The "R" option is an internal acoustic treatment which dampens internal cabinet resonances further than the stock model (which is already well damped).  The "RS" adds to the "R": internal sealing of the cabinet, and plywood in the construction of the front baffle and back of the cabinet.

Another idea is try the versitile new Type 1.5.  They are 4" taller than the Type 1 and have removable cones for setting up on the floor.  If, however, you have room on your shelf for Type 1.5s, they will also likely work in that capacity.

Louis O

« Reply #13 on: 9 Mar 2012, 08:10 pm »
Hi JC and Rob,

Many thanks for the posts and Rob has done a great job describing the Hoyt's extremely well.

The site is being updated quite a bit lately and the R and the RS modes are now available. These are great cabinet modifications that bring the speakers to a higher level.

Robs descriptions are spot on and I also want to mention that I'm working on a RSR version as well in the custom shop.

This in addition to the RS mod. The RSR has all the RS plus twin chambers that are factory sand filled. This does add a little extra cabinet height.

The chambers are located on the top and bottom of the cabinet and act as a cabinet vise.
This was pioneered by Omega and is included on the new Omega 6 Elite and Omega 6 Elite monitor.

I do listen to a good amount of Rock too and the type 3 does add deeper bass.

Thanks again,
Louis