Blade Runner 2049

fredgarvin

Re: Blade Runner 2049
« Reply #20 on: 13 Oct 2017, 03:42 pm »
I saw the original movie when it was first released and liked it, somewhat, though not strongly. I appreciated it as art more than I enjoyed it as a film - it did not draw me in. I think it was because Harrison Ford's character was completely uninteresting to me. Plus IMO he's a lousy actor and doesn't have "IT" so that didn't help.

But now you all have got me re-interested in the film and the Final Cut version was on TV the other day so I watched that. Not sure why, but I REALLY liked it this time around. Too long between viewings to compare the original version with the Final Cut so not sure if that was the reason. Both HF and his character remain completely uninteresting to me, thus still didn't draw me in. None of the characters did, except for Rutger Hauer's final scene. Perhaps I am in a different place and more open to appreciate and just enjoy the film.

So now I'm all excited to see 2049 this weekend. Thanks for posting!  :thumb:

It should also be noted that, importantly,  the boob count is higher in this new one.

charmerci

« Reply #21 on: 13 Oct 2017, 11:05 pm »
There is also in the original, Harrison Ford's narration which was put in because the suits thought without it, the movie dragged on, so it doesn't come across very well.

wushuliu

« Reply #22 on: 13 Oct 2017, 11:31 pm »
There is also in the original, Harrison Ford's narration which was put in because the suits thought without it, the movie dragged on, so it doesn't come across very well.

I've always associated BladeRunner with Brazil since they are fom the same time period, and considered Brazil the better film. I think that's why I am less enampored of it. Hard to separate those two in my mentions mind.

*Scotty*

« Reply #23 on: 13 Oct 2017, 11:55 pm »
Blade Runner:The Final Cut, is the directors version and eliminates the narration. Harrison Ford never wanted to add voice over to the movie. The movie is much better without it.
https://www.amazon.com/Blade-Runner-Final-Cut-Blu-ray/dp/B004FQX5CK/ref=tmm_mfc_title_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=
Here is a behind the scene look at the making of Blade Runner.
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/09/the-battle-for-blade-runner-harrison-ford-ridley-scott
Scotty
« Last Edit: 14 Oct 2017, 01:14 am by *Scotty* »

Whitese

« Reply #24 on: 14 Oct 2017, 12:13 am »
I am going to see this movie tomorrow! :thumb:

Sparky14

« Reply #25 on: 14 Oct 2017, 12:20 am »
It should also be noted that, importantly,  the boob count is higher in this new one.

Thanks, good to know, on the must see list now.

WGH

« Reply #26 on: 14 Oct 2017, 01:48 am »
The NY Times has more Blade Runner articles, once again no spoilers but always out of this world visuals.

Denis Villeneuve Narrates a Scene From ‘Blade Runner 2049’
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/02/movies/denis-villeneuve-interview-blade-runner-2049.html

The ‘Blade Runner 2049’ Look
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/28/movies/the-blade-runner-2049-look-sci-fi-brought-back-down-to-earth.html?_r=0

Wayne

roscoeiii

« Reply #27 on: 14 Oct 2017, 08:12 pm »
Just a stunning film. Plan on rewatching the original and then going back to see it on imax again.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #28 on: 14 Oct 2017, 08:47 pm »
Just a stunning film. Plan on rewatching the original and then going back to see it on imax again.

Watching the original with my 16yr old son tonight and seeing the new movie tomorrow.

I think he is going to really like the original...just like I do.

George

WGH

« Reply #29 on: 14 Oct 2017, 11:23 pm »
Watching the original with my 16yr old son tonight and seeing the new movie tomorrow.

The new Blade Runner is definitely an R rating but probably nothing he hasn't seen already. The film has has plenty of images for a 16 year old to think about.

rockadanny

« Reply #30 on: 16 Oct 2017, 12:31 pm »
Incredible. Stunning. Delicious.

jazzcan

« Reply #31 on: 16 Oct 2017, 08:55 pm »
An incredible movie.  Visually stunning and thought provoking.  9.5 out of 10. In some ways vastly superior to the original

Rich

TrungT

« Reply #32 on: 16 Oct 2017, 11:04 pm »
Check out Spotify for the Blade Runner 2049 Motion picture soundtrack[size=27px !important] :thumb: [/size][/color]

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #33 on: 17 Oct 2017, 04:20 am »
I finally got a chance to see it tonight and I concur- it's wonderful! :thumb:  The film has it all; stunning visuals, great writing and superb acting.  It's a wonderful meditation on what it is to be alive and human.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #34 on: 17 Oct 2017, 11:19 am »
An incredible movie.  Visually stunning and thought provoking.  9.5 out of 10. In some ways vastly superior to the original

Rich

My son and I really enjoyed this movie.  Certainly nothing in here from my perspective that made me think twice about a 16 year old seeing it (of course that is simply my opinion and others can differ)

Visually, it was certainly superior to the original.

I really loved the story and it definitely gives you a lot to think about.  Would love to talk about plot details, but don't want to ruin it for those who haven't seen it yet.

It could have been that I was tired...but it felt that tiniest but slow at times.

Highly recommended.

George

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #35 on: 17 Oct 2017, 02:16 pm »
The only real sour note for me was the inclusion of a poor CGI clone of a character from the original film. 

wushuliu

« Reply #36 on: 17 Oct 2017, 03:10 pm »
The only real sour note for me was the inclusion of a poor CGI clone of a character from the original film.

Really? I thought that was great. And didn't feel forced. The appearance fit right into the story. I think the real life person was involved with it as well (they were definitely on the set at some point). Probably with the voice work and motion capture movement. I think it only seemed poor if you are a fan of the original and are really familiar with the features. If you never saw the original you wouldn't know it was CGI...

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #37 on: 17 Oct 2017, 03:17 pm »
I felt the 'Uncanny Valley' affect pretty badly.  It was the eyes; when duping living people they just never have gotten the eyes right yet.  There's a weird dead fish look to them.  I didn't feel was forced or inappropriate, I just don't think the technology is quite there yet.

Stercom

« Reply #38 on: 17 Oct 2017, 04:03 pm »
I saw the original movie when it was first released and liked it, somewhat, though not strongly. I appreciated it as art more than I enjoyed it as a film - it did not draw me in. I think it was because Harrison Ford's character was completely uninteresting to me. Plus IMO he's a lousy actor and doesn't have "IT" so that didn't help.

I know what you mean but you may change your mind about Harrison Ford once you see Blade Runner 2049. He was surprisingly very good in this one.

rockadanny

« Reply #39 on: 17 Oct 2017, 06:38 pm »
I know what you mean but you may change your mind about Harrison Ford once you see Blade Runner 2049. He was surprisingly very good in this one.

Agree Stercom. He was very good in his role in 2049. He seemed human, even.