The dB Audio Labs Tranquility DAC - Wow!

Big Red Machine

Re: The dB Audio Labs Tranquility DAC - Wow!
« Reply #460 on: 11 Sep 2010, 06:53 pm »
It seems that Eric Hider will be releasing a non-USB Tranquility DAC (With SPDIF) in the near future!

I'd try one of those.

arthurs

« Reply #461 on: 11 Sep 2010, 07:12 pm »
I'd try one of those.

Ditto here.  Would it offer usb as well as spdif or just spdif?

jrebman

« Reply #462 on: 11 Sep 2010, 07:27 pm »
Hi Art,

I'll take a guess and say probably just spdif as dbal seems to be one of the few companies who recognizes that you can only have one fully optimized interfaces and that switches, relays, etc, all have a sonic penalty.

-- Jim

arthurs

« Reply #463 on: 11 Sep 2010, 07:28 pm »
Thanks Jim!   :thumb:  Hope all is well with you.

rogerdn

« Reply #464 on: 11 Sep 2010, 09:48 pm »
It seems that Eric Hider will be releasing a non-USB Tranquility DAC (With SPDIF) in the near future!

Meaning USB in, SPDIF out ?

JDUBS

« Reply #465 on: 11 Sep 2010, 10:27 pm »
Meaning USB in, SPDIF out ?

That wouldn't be a DAC.

rogerdn

« Reply #466 on: 11 Sep 2010, 10:41 pm »
That wouldn't be a DAC.

So it wouldn't,  what market is there for SPDIF out of computers ?

JDUBS

« Reply #467 on: 11 Sep 2010, 11:07 pm »
Not sure what this means.  SPDIF out of a computer or via some sort of USB or FireWire converter?

Plenty of solutions for both.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #468 on: 11 Sep 2010, 11:47 pm »
SPDIF in with balanced outputs would be snazzy.

newzooreview

« Reply #469 on: 12 Sep 2010, 01:43 am »
So it wouldn't,  what market is there for SPDIF out of computers ?

The majority of folks who would want to use or who currently use a stand-alone DAC for an audiophile stereo system are using a SPDIF input to the DAC, primarily from a CD player/transport and in some instances from a computer (but this is not common since computers don't come equipped with SPDIF output and not a lot of people buy the I/O cards to add it).

So, a SPDIF input dB Audio DAC is likely to attract 2-4 times the number of potential customers compared to a USB-only DAC. I think USB as implemented by the Tranquility DAC is the way to go, but a lot of folks just want to feed discs into a player and not mess with ripping and computer configuration.

navi

« Reply #470 on: 12 Sep 2010, 08:32 am »
Are you using the Mac Pro as a dedicated music server with a fresh installation of the current operating system? With the monitor and keyboard removed, and no third-party software running?

I ask because a Mac Pro is pretty expensive to dedicate as a music server, but if the computer isn't dedicated to the task then there are likely multiple background processes running that will degrade the audio, making the tweaks less relevant.

I don't know why the computer would crash when you turn journaling off. I'm not even sure that it's crashing when you switch it off or at some point afterward. How reproducible is it?

If the Mac Pro is a dedicated music server, I would sell it and get a new Mac Mini. If the Mac Pro is not dedicated as a music server I wouldn't worry about the tweaks that Eric suggested since there are probably a lot of other things that could degrade the sound and the tweaks may not make a major difference.

The comp is my work computer in my office. I just thought i'd try it (turn journaling off).

denjo

« Reply #471 on: 12 Sep 2010, 09:15 am »
Just my 0.02 cents'! I have found DACs based on simple 16-bit (Altmann Attraction) or 20-bit (LFD DAC2 - only 100 pieces made) technology the most analog sounding. You don't really need more than 16-bits to play redbook. From what I am observing, the more bits there are the harder it is to implement and this may have something to do with the fact that the ESS Sabre is very much in your face, with a plethora of details. I briefly heard the WS4 DAC2 and while I was impressed with the detail retrieval personally I rather doubt I could live with a DAC that is so detailed. I found fatigue set in on longer listening. One of the best digital replay that I have ever experienced was with the Altmann and the LFD DAC2.

newzooreview

« Reply #472 on: 12 Sep 2010, 01:06 pm »

The comp is my work computer in my office. I just thought i'd try it (turn journaling off).

Got it. The system maintenance software Cocktail (among others) also offers an option to turn journaling off and on. Maybe that would work better? Or something in your particular system just doesn't like the change. It's puzzling.  :scratch:

Big Red Machine

« Reply #473 on: 12 Sep 2010, 01:55 pm »

So, a SPDIF input dB Audio DAC is likely to attract 2-4 times the number of potential customers compared to a USB-only DAC. I think USB as implemented by the Tranquility DAC is the way to go, but a lot of folks just want to feed discs into a player and not mess with ripping and computer configuration.

No!  I have a no spin zone in my room.  All the monkeying around to obtain a MAC computer and then adjust this and that with some non-Squeezecenter software is what burned my hiney about this USB version.  I want my ripped library to go through this dac using SC and that handy software.  And if I get a Touch then I can handle some slightly higher rez material.  That Mac thing was for the birds! :banghead:

newzooreview

« Reply #474 on: 12 Sep 2010, 07:27 pm »
No!  I have a no spin zone in my room.  All the monkeying around to obtain a MAC computer and then adjust this and that with some non-Squeezecenter software is what burned my hiney about this USB version.  I want my ripped library to go through this dac using SC and that handy software.  And if I get a Touch then I can handle some slightly higher rez material.  That Mac thing was for the birds! :banghead:

I actually wasn't directing my general observations at anyone. No doubt there are many particular reasons that folks want  a SPIDF input.  :thumb:

funkmonkey

« Reply #475 on: 12 Sep 2010, 09:00 pm »
still reading through all the posts but I am very interested in setting up a Mini-centric system.  Currently streaming from iMac -> MW Transporter via ethernet, all rips from redbook CDs in FLAC, and I am still happy with the sound I am getting, but am interested in simplifying a bit.  I've been contemplating getting a Mac-mini to use as a music server/HTPC for a couple of years, and all this activity in this thread is pushing me more in that direction.  Anyone care to comment who has made the move from MW Transporter?  File format preference seems to be .aiff for this set-up, or am I wrong on that and FLAC is just as good?  Would having the mini hooked up to an LCD TV eliminate the advantages of having a monitor-less system, or would the physical distance be sufficient to reduce the interference? PM's are welcomed, and as always thanks for your help.
Cheers,
Greg

Philistine

« Reply #476 on: 12 Sep 2010, 10:19 pm »
still reading through all the posts but I am very interested in setting up a Mini-centric system.  Currently streaming from iMac -> MW Transporter via ethernet, all rips from redbook CDs in FLAC, and I am still happy with the sound I am getting, but am interested in simplifying a bit.  I've been contemplating getting a Mac-mini to use as a music server/HTPC for a couple of years, and all this activity in this thread is pushing me more in that direction.  Anyone care to comment who has made the move from MW Transporter?  File format preference seems to be .aiff for this set-up, or am I wrong on that and FLAC is just as good?  Would having the mini hooked up to an LCD TV eliminate the advantages of having a monitor-less system, or would the physical distance be sufficient to reduce the interference? PM's are welcomed, and as always thanks for your help.
Cheers,
Greg

Greg, I'm going down the exact same path.
As the latest Macmini apparently out performs a fully tricked out earlier mini then I'm going to just get the regular Macmini with 4GB of memory.  I'll convert all the FLAC files to aiff and use the Macmini as a headless unit, and use remote desktop from my iMac when I need to.  The consensus appears to be that using Pure with iTunes is the optimum cost/performance solution.  I'll then use my iPad as the remote to run iTunes off the mini.
I'll hook all this up to the Tranquility DAC.
This is the plan, I want to start implementing this in the next few days or so - lets keep in touch.
Phil

Audioclyde

« Reply #477 on: 12 Sep 2010, 10:33 pm »
Greg & Phil,

That looks like where I'm headed too, just waiting for the high res version. I'm using a Jkeny modded HiFace (battery pwrd) from my Mac mini now, feeding the bnc input on an EE DAC. The EE is very good, but the original plan was to use it in a second system.

Randy

newzooreview

« Reply #478 on: 13 Sep 2010, 01:57 am »
I just found a new (to me) way to improve the sound from my Mac Mini to my Tranquility DAC: turn off the IR receiver. I thought I had looked thoroughly for a way to do that, but today I was surprised to stumble across it. It's in the System Preferences panel, under Security settings, in the General tab: at the bottom is a check box to "Disable remote infrared receiver".

My Tranquility DAC is connected to a USB port shared with the IR receiver, and now that it's off the sound is more fluid and smooth, with some hash/grit in the upper treble removed. No negative effects--just better music.

(The other set of USB ports seem to be shared with an internal hub, so avoid those since the one shared with the IR receiver seems to be on its own, maybe better isolated?)

Bigfish

« Reply #479 on: 14 Sep 2010, 10:55 pm »
Cheers,
Greg

Greg:

I owned a fully modded ModWright Transporter with the Black Treasures and EML 5U4G Mesh tubes.  I sold the Transporter this spring as frankly I was tried of always chasing better sound with purchases of the latest and greatest tube(s) to hit the market.  As you have a ModWright Transporter you know the quality and full bodied sound the unit delivers.  I switched to a teaked-out Mac Mini (2009 model) (SS Hard drive, 4 GB of Ram, Bolder Linear Power Supply and all recommended tweaks to improve the sound) driving a Tranquility DAC via the DB Audio Labs USB Cable.  Everything in this hobby is a matter of personal preference but I prefer the sound of this system to my previous system dominated by the ModWright Transporter.  I still have the detailed sound quality, great - deep soundstage and the music really does give me the sense that I could be listening to music played on a quality turntable. 

My music files were converted from .flac to .aiff and are now stored on a fire wire external DAC.  Eric Hider definitely recommends you have nothing else connected to the USB ports other than the Tranquility DAC.  I cannot answer your question about using your LCD TV as a monitor but am personally looking forward to purchasing an IPod to control my Mini.

Ken