amp for dicappo

jrdcesq

amp for dicappo
« on: 12 Nov 2004, 02:58 am »
I have an almarro A-318. It is a single ended triode 18 watt/channel integrated amp. Has anyone tried this amp the dicappos? If so please let me know how it sounds. If not has anyone used a less than 20 watt/channel amp, if so how did it go?

thanks
John

Red Dragon Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.reddragonaudio.com
Re: amp for dicappo
« Reply #1 on: 12 Nov 2004, 04:58 am »
Quote from: jrdcesq
I have an almarro A-318. It is a single ended triode 18 watt/channel integrated amp. Has anyone tried this amp the dicappos? If so please let me know how it sounds. If not has anyone used a less than 20 watt/channel amp, if so how did it go?

thanks
John

Hey John,

I used the Ki22 Fox from Antique Sound Labs.  It is very similar in design to the Alamarro but is rated at 22 watts vs 18 watts; that's totally inconsequential.  The 4 watt difference for all intents and purposes is inaudible.

However, since they both use 6C33 russian output tubes and are SET's by design and I used it with my old pair of 3A De capos I can tell you about the sound.

-Detailed sound
-Sparkly highs (cymbals, triangles etc sound crisp and clear)
-Pure midrange>not embellished like some tube amps however not overly clinical or dry like solid state (using stereotypes here).  Thing is, if you get a nice front end you can tune that a little more one way or the other. So if you have a dry source, you will get a dry sound and vice versa.
-Quick, tight bass.  It never sounds slow, laggy or boomy.  Nimble and with the pace of the music.  Just don't expect massive SPL's down low; sufficient but more could be added via a sub or more powerful SS amp.

I really liked ASL Fox with my De Capos and if we didn't have a newborn, I would have kept the amp.  I was just worried he would somehow touch them and get burned.

Hope this helps.

gpkoo

amp for dicappo
« Reply #2 on: 12 Nov 2004, 11:03 am »
John

I actually have this combo - de Capos with the A318As.

I think they're a good match, very musical, very clean, and I haven't noticed any problems in terms of power in my room which is about 15' x 20'.

Having said that the treble could be more extended and the bass a bit tighter (though using the 4 ohm taps makes a significant difference in that regard), but you can't have everything!

I like it, but that's just me.

Gary

PS - The Herbie's stuff makes a big difference with the A318As as well.

Terry

amp for dicappo
« Reply #3 on: 12 Nov 2004, 12:56 pm »
I'm using the KR 18BSI SET integrated (18 wpc) with my DeCapos and the combination is great. On really large scale classical played loud the amp can run out of juice but for everything else there is no problem.

jrdcesq

amp for dicappo
« Reply #4 on: 12 Nov 2004, 09:53 pm »
Everyone, the information you gave me is very helpful and I really appreciate it. GPKOO. What's the Herbie's stuff? I would like to hear more.

thanks
John

Red Dragon Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.reddragonaudio.com
amp for dicappo
« Reply #5 on: 12 Nov 2004, 10:13 pm »
I think he refers to the herbie tube ring dampers.

They are rings that go around your tubes to help reduce any microphonic vibrations.

doug s.

• makin' music
amp for dicappo
« Reply #6 on: 13 Nov 2004, 11:25 pm »
i am not familiar w/the dicapo's, tho these are one mini-monitor that i'd still like to audition.  but based upon what folk are saying about 18w set amps using the 6c33c tube, you may wanna check out the audio mirror 6c33c tube monoblock amps.  they run a pair of paralleled 6c33c's for 40w of set sound.  i recently nabbed a used pair of these, & i am really enjoying them.  i am sure they'd have more than enuff juice even on more complex music.  while my present speakers are 14 ohms, according to the amps previous owner (magnetar, over at the audio asylum), they *really* respond well to 4 ohm loads.  

at the price i got 'em for used, they're a bargain, imo, but i think they're relatively reasonable even at the asking retail price for brand-new.

http://audiomirror.com/

their other gear also looks kinda interesting...

doug s.