Recommendations for a sub w/MM'S & Set..

reddmadder

« on: 6 Jun 2004, 07:25 pm »
Hi,
   Well I think it might be time to consider a sub or two.
   Here is my system link:
    http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=systems;system=353
    Basically running SET to a very satisfying level BUT I think it's time to get that sonic foundation,if you will, that only a sub could provide.
    I've heard subs before w/ full range and monitor systems but was never really all that imporessed with the difference and that was using Rel subs w/Silverline speakers and Renauds. But now having heard my friends VMPS w/sub combo I finally heard the difference.Now I know it's comparing apples to oranges but it was the only time I really heard  that lower level "umph".Maybe because this is my first monitor /set system and the difference is now more noticable. Anyway I've read the passive vs. active thread from a week or 2 ago. I have limted space ,so I'm looking for either 1 or 2 small subs. I'm intrigued by the VMPS subs any thoughts out there? Thanks ...

mcrespo71

« Reply #1 on: 6 Jun 2004, 07:35 pm »
I use the REL Strata III w/my MM De Capo I's and like the sound very much.  If you are ever in NYC, you are welcome to hear them with the REL.

Michael

reddmadder

« Reply #2 on: 6 Jun 2004, 07:50 pm »
Yes your thread was initially the "kick in the ass" for considering subs and in fact it was Zybar's system I heard.
Thanks for the invite.
I'm in Westchester,maybe it could happen. Did you think about VMPS mini subs w/ a SS amp?

bubba966

« Reply #3 on: 6 Jun 2004, 07:58 pm »
I know Michael's been happy with his REL, but the REL's I've demo'd haven't done much for me.

I did get a chance to listen to a VMPS Larger sub (w/all options I think) once. It was a mighty impressive sub. Doesn't George have a pair of Larger's?

Anyway, if you're happy with how George's subs were performing, go for a VMPS offering. Don't know what one will fit what you're looking for (as I don't know what you're loooking for in the size/price/etc areas). But if you like the VMPS subs, then get one for yourself...

reddmadder

« Reply #4 on: 6 Jun 2004, 08:16 pm »
Hi, yeah George has the Largers.Way too large for my room,also to be honest his system is so different from mine,that comparsions will yield little useful info.All I'm sure of is that I want that extra depth.

mcrespo71

« Reply #5 on: 6 Jun 2004, 08:55 pm »
Did you think about VMPS mini subs w/ a SS amp?

I live in a small NYC studio and my two racks are completely filled with equipment.  I never considered the VMPS, as I wanted an active sub.  I don't want to have to dick with a bunch of extra amps and I don't have the room.  I've had a lot of experience with REL and was never less than satisfied with them.  My father has Quad's and Magnepan, which are much quicker than normal dynamic speakers and has had no problem with integration at all.

Michael

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #6 on: 6 Jun 2004, 09:01 pm »
Joe,

Just to be clear, the subs were never on when you were over on Saturday and listening to the system.  That was entirely the RM 40's.

George

mcrespo71

« Reply #7 on: 6 Jun 2004, 09:08 pm »
Just to be clear, the subs were never on when you were over on Saturday and listening to the system. That was entirely the RM 40's.

This is thanks to Dr. Frank, right?

Michael

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 6 Jun 2004, 09:13 pm »
YES!   :dance:

While Joe was over I did a little putty tweaking and the bass was getting better and better.

Unfortunately, I needed to hop a plane to the UK so it was a quick session.  I need ot continue tweaking when I get back.

I am sure I will get it perfect just in time for the new amps that are coming in to try and dethrone the Rowlands (digital amps from DIYCable and EVS).

BTW, I also received my Behringer Ultracurve Pro 2496.  I will get some cables made and will start playing with that later this week.

George

Marbles

« Reply #9 on: 6 Jun 2004, 09:44 pm »
Bubba, I'm surprised you didn't mention the WMD.

It's a relatively small package, active, suposedly musical, according to Kevin, and it can move enormous amounts of air.

It is pricey though (but not for what you get).

I'm anxiously awaiting your review.

reddmadder

« Reply #10 on: 6 Jun 2004, 10:04 pm »
George,
      Thanks for clearing that up,I guess it's a testament as to how good your speakers sound even without the subs.
      Either way it was an eye opener for me,because as I said to you yesterday,the sense of air and bass was impressive.

mcrespo71

« Reply #11 on: 6 Jun 2004, 10:29 pm »
Joe,

I think, if at all possible, you should take me up on hearing my De Capo I's with the REL sub.  If you want, you can run them with your amps/CD player/whatever to approximate your system as closely as possible with the REL.  At least then you can be pretty sure that the REL will work for you.  I'm always astounded how people can buy stuff based upon what people say on a forum.  I'm pretty opinionated here, but if anyone follows what I say here without listening to the piece, then they are doing themselves a disservice, as my listening preferences are pretty different.   I guess if you are buying used, then you can use the forums/reviews as a guide and audiogon as the trial stage, BUT you must be willing to sell the piece if it doesn't work out and sometimes people don't want to have to go through all that trouble- or may not want to admit that the piece sounds bad to them, despite all the glowing net/print reviews.   If you were never thinking of a REL in the first place, then I guess I wouldn't come listen to it at my place either.  However, there are at least two members on this forum that are happy REL users with the De Capo I's, so there is some precedent there.

Whatever sub you end up buying, if at all possible, just go listen to it with your speakers.  

Michael

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 6 Jun 2004, 10:37 pm »
Good advice Mike.

George

bubba966

« Reply #13 on: 6 Jun 2004, 11:30 pm »
Quote from: Marbles
Bubba, I'm surprised you didn't mention the WMD.

It's a relatively small package, active, suposedly musical, according to Kevin, and it can move enormous amounts of air.

It is pricey though (but not for what you get).

I'm anxiously awaiting your review.

I didn't mention the WMD as I'd thought he'd heard a sub he liked. And if you hear something you like, then there's no reason no to go for one yourself. at least IMO...

That and I've still not had a chance to watch anything since the WMD was installed :oops: .

The WMD is still breaking in as well. Kevin runs them in a bit when he builds them. But he didn't build this one, so it didn't have the couple of hours on it with the test tones that he uses.

And I'm kinda waiting on the PC I've ordered (Bolder 2 conductor Nitro Plus w/ Furutech Rhodium plugs & 2 Bybees) for it to come in. Maybe the WMD will be broke in by then. Then I can give it a good listen and let you know what I think... :wink:

CharlesL

« Reply #14 on: 7 Jun 2004, 10:46 pm »
I was looking into the Onix Rocket UFW-10 subs, currently on sale for $999 for a pair! From the several reviews that I read and comments from user forums these small subs seem to be extremely fast and musical but can't handle the lowest of the low, and that's FINE with me!

They are frontfiring and have a built-in parametric equalizer.

http://www.av123.com/products_category_brand.php?section=subwoofers&brand=10

I'd rather have a musical sub (in this case even 2!) that I also can use for movies than one that can be used for movies alone. Problem is there's no economical way ($$$) for them to ship them to Holland yet.  So I'm just waiting some more and looking around some more.