Any Wii owners out there?

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
Any Wii owners out there?
« on: 22 Nov 2006, 08:17 pm »
The Wii is not as powerful in the video or audio department, but it sounds like it packs a pretty big entertainment punch, especially for the $.

Most stores are not selling any stock at this time, I have heard there will be more available on Black Friday...

mcrespo71

Re: Any Wii owners out there?
« Reply #1 on: 22 Nov 2006, 10:17 pm »
I'll be buying one later.  I won't have time to play any games until next year  :duh:.

bubba966

« Reply #2 on: 23 Nov 2006, 03:06 am »
I'll be picking one up at some point. Am sure it will get more use than the 360 does.

But I'm not seeing any games that are calling out to me. Monkeyball might be good, as the first one was. But the second one wasn't. :roll:

I used to play Excitebike all of the time, so I'm wondering if Excite Truck is worth picking up.

But other than they I can't say that anything else I saw on the shelf at BB yesterday was speaking to me.

Woodsea

« Reply #3 on: 23 Nov 2006, 03:08 am »
Will be picking one up before heading to Cuba.  No need of one until then, the younger kids will enjoy it more, and I should be able to pick up used games at that point.  I like the interaction part of the controller.

rumatt

« Reply #4 on: 23 Nov 2006, 03:18 am »
Clearly the Wii is more appealing than the PS3.  :D

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-9136575504838642038&q=ps3+wii

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 23 Nov 2006, 04:42 am »
Will be picking one up before heading to Cuba.  No need of one until then, the younger kids will enjoy it more, and I should be able to pick up used games at that point.  I like the interaction part of the controller.

Saying farewell to Mongolia?  Weren't you in Ulaan Battar?

Woodsea

« Reply #6 on: 24 Nov 2006, 12:35 am »
We are packing out in 4 days, and finally wheels up on the 10th.  The Ambassador asked the Mrs. to stay a bit longer.  I will be selling my 360 to a family here, as it is the Japanese version.  They will be here in UB for a year than down in Singapore for 3.  I will be picking up a US version sometime next year, before heading to Cuba.  Maybe at that point they will have a larger HDD  :drool:

mcrespo71

« Reply #7 on: 24 Nov 2006, 02:16 am »
I'll be picking one up at some point. Am sure it will get more use than the 360 does.

But I'm not seeing any games that are calling out to me. Monkeyball might be good, as the first one was. But the second one wasn't. :roll:

I used to play Excitebike all of the time, so I'm wondering if Excite Truck is worth picking up.

But other than they I can't say that anything else I saw on the shelf at BB yesterday was speaking to me.

Not a zelda fan? :scratch:

bubba966

« Reply #8 on: 24 Nov 2006, 07:51 am »

Not a zelda fan? :scratch:

Used to be. But when they put out the first one on the 64 I can't say I liked that one. And I haven't bothered with them since.

jqp

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 24 Nov 2006, 07:20 pm »
I wonder if anyone has actually used the controller. The TV ad shows a guy standing in front of a TV and making realistic swordplay motions.

I find it hard to believe that this type of action will really be possible. I'd bet your swordplay will be much more stylized, based on the controller, not realistic motions.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 7 Dec 2006, 04:39 am »
I still haven't seen a Wii here.  WallyWorld didn't seem to have them.  Yesterday they had a few PS3s (the cheaper version) but today they were sold out, too.  The only thing they seem to have a ton of is 360's.

jqp

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 7 Dec 2006, 04:46 pm »
I called one of the Best Buys and they have a recording saying they have none.

bubba966

« Reply #12 on: 7 Dec 2006, 05:00 pm »
I've not seen one for sale yet.

But my stepbrother got one through a friend of his that works at Nintendo of America. Guess they still had 'em at the company store.

Occasionally pays to live 20 minutes from Redmond (home to NoA & MS).

Se7en

« Reply #13 on: 7 Dec 2006, 05:16 pm »
Through a strange series of events I have two of them.

Through my company we were given the opportunity to pre-order one (which arrived yesterday) and then at a different company holiday party(last night) my SO won one plus two games as a door prize/raffle type thing. So as of yesterday I have a pair... I hope that they're good  :D

bubba966

« Reply #14 on: 7 Dec 2006, 05:55 pm »
Through my company we were given the opportunity to pre-order one (which arrived yesterday) and then at a different company holiday party(last night) my SO won one plus two games as a door prize/raffle type thing. So as of yesterday I have a pair.

:o Where do you work? I wish I had something that nice given away at my companies Christmas party. I ended up winning one of the "prizes" at my company party since I kicked everyone's ass at the movie trivia game we had. My "prize" was a can of Cashew Roca (sp?). :( Which I promptly gave away to the first roommate I saw when I got home...

Se7en

« Reply #15 on: 7 Dec 2006, 09:39 pm »
Through my company we were given the opportunity to pre-order one (which arrived yesterday) and then at a different company holiday party(last night) my SO won one plus two games as a door prize/raffle type thing. So as of yesterday I have a pair.

:o Where do you work? I wish I had something that nice given away at my companies Christmas party. I ended up winning one of the "prizes" at my company party since I kicked everyone's ass at the movie trivia game we had. My "prize" was a can of Cashew Roca (sp?). :( Which I promptly gave away to the first roommate I saw when I got home...

I work for Sega. It is not uncommon for our parting gifts to be somewhat gaming related  :D This is also why we got the option to pre-order the Wii through the company.

Keep in mind that this is not always the case (especially with Sony). A couple of our employees did the 36 hour wait in line. One of them actually had their house broken into 1 hour after he got home with his PS3...of course it was gone when he got home  :evil:

Carlman

« Reply #16 on: 7 Dec 2006, 09:55 pm »
I see them at every "Target" my wife drags me through... I don't know if they're in stock but they have a display around the corner from the PS3 and XBOX.  I've seen folks play all of them.  (I've never seen one get loose;) )

The PS3 makes me sick to watch.... too much sweeping the camera around.  I liked the XBOX for college football.  The WII looked interesting but more for kids.  However, I've only seen middle-40's men and a 50+ woman looking at them.  I don't know if it's for themselves or for their kids... or both! ;)

I'm not a gamer at all but I find the whole industry fascinating.  I look at it as a simple computer program that requires a series of button pressing combinations to get to a new map that requires a different set of button presses.  There seem to be only about 4 map/game styles, auto-related, fight-related, sports-related, and D&D-ish games.  I played each of the 4 and got bored in about 5-15 minutes.  Yet folks really get into them and they'll play for hours!  I have friends the play 'Tribes' and really get into it.  I have one friend that keeps asking me to buy an XBOX so we can play shooting games together... But we can go the gun range any time and do the real thing!

Sorry for the essay on why I don't get games but will stay interested in why people do for a long time. 

-C

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #17 on: 11 Dec 2006, 09:26 am »
I suspect many think the same thing about our obsession with audio gear, Carlman! :lol:  I'm not all that interested in the Wii overall, but games make systems.  If there are some good looking games I'll try the Wii.  Right now I find the 360 and PS3 a lot more compelling.