Odyssey repair/upgrade - opinions wanted

bondmanp

Odyssey repair/upgrade - opinions wanted
« on: 27 Oct 2017, 04:53 pm »
After 12 years, the right channel on my Stratos HT3 (with cap upgrade) needs a repair (most likely, bad caps).  :cry:  I have shipped Klaus the amp, so I am already $140 into this.  My options will range from a straight repair and restoration to original specs to various upgrades (boards, caps, etc.) for ever increasing amounts of money, of course.  :wink:  I like the HT3 enough to fix it rather than replace it, as no SS amp I have heard anywhere near its price compares, IMHO.  But money is an issue for me, so I must choose carefully what to do.

I would like to hear from any Odyssey Stratos or Khartago owners who have had Klaus repair or upgrade their amps.  What would I gain from any particular upgrade or set of upgrades?  How did the sound change or improve in your experience?  Would you say that what you had done was worth the money you spent?  Etc., etc.  Thanks in advance!  :thumb:

A_shah

Re: Odyssey repair/upgrade - opinions wanted
« Reply #1 on: 27 Oct 2017, 05:06 pm »
Klaus,
is pretty reasonable at least that is what I found when I had him build my Stratos/Kismet, I don't think the cost of upgrade is going to be  more than the cost of repair , but than it is a personal choice.
hope this helps in your decision making process , have you asked Klaus what it will cost repair vs upgrade ?

bondmanp

« Reply #2 on: 27 Oct 2017, 05:10 pm »
I don't have all my options yet, the amp just got there, and Klaus is preparing for Capital Audio Fest.

But what I am really looking for are Odyssey owner opinions about the sound quality changes or improvements they experienced when getting their amps upgraded.

tkp

« Reply #3 on: 27 Oct 2017, 05:57 pm »
IMHO, it depends on your usage over the past 12 years and the cost to do a complete over haul.  One of the wearable component inside electronics is Electrolytic caps.  For amplifier, it will have major impact to the amp. performance over time. 

If you have used the amp. on a regular basis over the past 12 years then I think you should consider changing out all Electrolytic caps.  The repair let say of the main PS caps will let the amp work again but it will not sound any where near as good as one with all new electrolytic caps.

Obviously this is just my opinion so take it with a lot of salt :-).

Delta77

« Reply #4 on: 29 Oct 2017, 01:35 am »
My amp is 6 months old  now (Stratos Extreem++)(4/4/17).. Used with a Candela preamp and TEKTON Speakers.. Very Happy..
I was trying to spend the least money with biggest return..
Klaus must of been so tired of me calling every week and saying, “ I have another $200 to spend on my amp”..
 Per Klaus’s recommendations my upgrades are , in order of importance..!,
1. 850 va Trans.
2. Add more Off Boards Caps
3. Upgrade the interior wires
4. Upgrade the Caps on Board to Synphonic Line Caps.
These are the upgrades I could afford..

Other upgrades beyond (what I could afford) available , I believe are ..
1. Kismet Line - Black Board ( thicker than Red Board )
2. Upgraded Speaker Terminals
3. Upgrade the Off Board Caps to Symphonic Line Caps
   After that only upgrade is going MONOBLOCK ..

As mentioned in the previous post ( Caps ) #1 , But Klaus will most likely “SELL” you a complete overhaul,,
Because Klaus wants you to be Satisfied with the money spent..
If I could do it over ( and afford it ) I would just get the Kismet guts in the Stratos Chassis ..
« Last Edit: 11 Nov 2017, 03:43 am by Delta77 »

bondmanp

« Reply #5 on: 30 Oct 2017, 03:48 pm »
Delta77 - Thanks!  If I could bother you once more, what were the sonic changes you heard after these upgrades as opposed to before the upgrades?  That is what I am really trying to get opinions on.

Delta77

« Reply #6 on: 1 Nov 2017, 12:04 pm »
We’ll, coming from a mass market (HK. 2 channel AVR)..

The changes were kind of , throughout all the areas craved by audiophiles..
The Staging was in another league..
The bass was better..
The mids and highs were more realistic..
It’s got plenty of power for my TEKTON’s (95bd) . The amp plays very good at mid-low to mid-hi volumes.
Once the volume goes way , way up the stage will collapse a little..Way too loud to listen for more than 10-15 minuets..
After purchasing my system, I went to a couple audio shows.. LAAS 2017 , The SHOW ..After visiting, and listening to many,systems I’m still happy..
At The SHOW I was talking with a couple of sales reps. showing a $300,000 room..They asked about my system and when I mentioned Odyssey, there faces lit up and the compliments just started to pour out of these two. “ Klaus has some of the best deals in the industry “ is the only Quote that I can remember from that conversation.. But it ment I lot coming from them..Klaus has an incredible reputation..

bondmanp

« Reply #7 on: 1 Nov 2017, 12:50 pm »
Thanks, Delta77!  I sort missed that you purchased your amp with all the upgrades.  I have had my HT3 for 12 years, so I am trying to find Stratos owners who have upgraded after getting used to the sound of their pre-upgrade Stratos amps.

Delta77

« Reply #8 on: 1 Nov 2017, 03:49 pm »
Upgradeitis, is common among all of us.. Get the most that you can afford. The best he has is the Kismit Mono's.. The only difference between mine and a Kismit is the Black Board and off board Caps.. the next step for me, would probably be the mono's,, that extra Transformer will give both Left And Right sides their own power supply, and their own board. To get noticeably  better than that is gonna cost you Lots More Money & Time.
The few people that are trying to get Noticeably better are going to Tubes.. I don't know much about tube amps, but would take a chance on a DON SACHS amp or use the DON SACHS preamp with Odyssey SS amps..

Delta77

« Reply #9 on: 1 Nov 2017, 03:51 pm »
Thanks, Delta77!  I sort missed that you purchased your amp with all the upgrades.  I have had my HT3 for 12 years, so I am trying to find Stratos owners who have upgraded after getting used to the sound of their pre-upgrade Stratos amps.

What speakers are you running ?
What is the rest of your equipment .?
Just wondering ..

bunky

« Reply #10 on: 1 Nov 2017, 04:55 pm »
After 12 years, the right channel on my Stratos HT3 (with cap upgrade) needs a repair (most likely, bad caps).  :cry:  I have shipped Klaus the amp, so I am already $140 into this.  My options will range from a straight repair and restoration to original specs to various upgrades (boards, caps, etc.) for ever increasing amounts of money, of course.  :wink:  I like the HT3 enough to fix it rather than replace it, as no SS amp I have heard anywhere near its price compares, IMHO.  But money is an issue for me, so I must choose carefully what to do.

I would like to hear from any Odyssey Stratos or Khartago owners who have had Klaus repair or upgrade their amps.  What would I gain from any particular upgrade or set of upgrades?  How did the sound change or improve in your experience?  Would you say that what you had done was worth the money you spent?  Etc., etc.  Thanks in advance!  :thumb:
I would without reservation upgrade it to the blackboard Kismet Status including Symphonic Line Capacitors . Klaus will give you a good deal on it because that is what he does ! I own a pair of Kismet mono's in Khartago cases, black boards with Symphonic Line Capacitors. the Kismets are stellar sounding amplifiers.

geerock

« Reply #11 on: 1 Nov 2017, 10:50 pm »
A lot has happened with Odyssey builds in the 12 years since your amp was made.  I would talk to Klaus so that he can make an upgrade work for your budget.  Lots of stuff he can do for you but just call him.  And call after normal hours (like 6 to 7pm).  He'll find a way to make things work for you.  I've just recently gotten his 'all in, best I can make' monos in Stratos cases.  And I'm fronting them with a Primaluna tubed pre, along with a tube DAC; and I'm in audio nirvana.....even though they're not quite broken in yet.