The OFFICIAL Super-7 thread

Danny Richie

Re: The OFFICIAL Super-7 thread
« Reply #180 on: 25 Apr 2017, 07:11 pm »
All of that stuff will have varying effects. It really isn't de-coupling though. It is coupling. And in some cases you are adding a damper.

bernardo

« Reply #181 on: 25 Apr 2017, 09:33 pm »
I’ll chime in here as I have been recently experimenting with speaker positioning and isolating the Super-7s. I had my speakers on spiked Sound Anchor bases with HRS Nimbus feet between the bases and the speakers. I installed the bases provided with the speakers in order to be able to move them around easily. I installed the bases with spikes initially to compare them with my own isolation configuration. I have a suspended wood floor with carpet. There is no comparison at least in my room with my floor. With the Super-7 bases installed with spikes I can feel the bass being transmitted into the floor and feel it at my listening position about 8 feet away. With the speakers on the SA bases and HRS feet there is little to no bass energy felt in the floor and of course that is evident in the quality of bass and up the frequency spectrum as well. After determining the best position for the speakers I can’t wait to go back to my isolation configuration – the best bass I have ever heard.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #182 on: 26 Apr 2017, 05:19 pm »
I've been experimenting with those new Clarity caps.  I put a pair of CMR caps in my tube preamp replacing teflon V-Caps and found them to be very close and in some ways a little better.  A lot cheaper than V-caps!

I put CSA caps in a new tube amp build and they seem to bridge the gap between the old ESA and MR caps.  Still warmer sounding than the MR/CMR caps.

In my Mini Strata crossovers the CSA worked great on the mid range driver but threw a blanket on the tweeters.  :scratch:  I had to go back to Sonicaps on the tweeters and for fun I bypassed them with a Russian teflon FT-3 cap to great effect!  My minis have never sounded so good! 

My take on the newer caps is they are an improvement over the older versions.  The biggest benefit being a little better resolution and improved dynamics.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #183 on: 26 Apr 2017, 06:37 pm »
I'm still super happy with the Jupiter cap bypass on the Clarity MR caps.  The big gain IMO is tonal richness and variety - it's a lot easier to hear differences between instruments from a tonal perspective. 

bdp24

« Reply #184 on: 27 Apr 2017, 04:08 am »
There is a really excellent isolation product designed and built by Max Townshend in the U.K. It is unfortunately not cheap, but very. very effective. The isolation is provided by what Max has named the Seismic Pod, and is available singly, in sets, and bolted onto speaker bases and component shelves. The Pod is a spring, the "value" of which (there are about a half-dozen models) is determined by the weight intended to be placed upon it, the spring inside a bellows which traps the air inside it, a hole in the top of the bellows sleeve allowing a certain amount to escape. If that doesn't make sense (and it probably doesn't!), you will understand more clearly if you watch the video Max has posted on You Tube, in which he explains and then demonstrates the Pods. You'll be glad you watched it, but whether or not you are willing to pay what Townshend Audio is asking for them is another matter!

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
« Reply #185 on: 18 Sep 2017, 10:55 pm »
Just a quick (I hope) note to let you know that I still have and LOVE my Super7s.

Still haven't finished rebuilding the x-overs and rewiring...maybe this nonsummer*.

Have sold my Audio Physic Avanti III speakers...

...that I improved substantially and also the fabulous-sounding c-j ET250S hybrid poweramp...

...so there's no going back for me!

* It's NEVER winter in Phoenix.
« Last Edit: 19 Sep 2017, 03:14 am by jeffreybehr »

Tyson

« Reply #186 on: 19 Sep 2017, 03:19 am »
I hear you!  Many times in the high end, it's about different flavors.  But not the Super 7's.  They are just flat out better that other speakers :P  :thumb: :lol:

THROWBACK

« Reply #187 on: 19 Sep 2017, 12:28 pm »
"But not the Super 7's.  They are just flat out better than other speakers"

Except for maybe my LS-9s, Tyson, especially now that I have my new crossovers (Jensen inductors) sitting on the floor ready to be hooked up. Pictures to follow soon.

Tyson

« Reply #188 on: 19 Sep 2017, 03:05 pm »
"But not the Super 7's.  They are just flat out better than other speakers"

Except for maybe my LS-9s, Tyson, especially now that I have my new crossovers (Jensen inductors) sitting on the floor ready to be hooked up. Pictures to follow soon.

I've heard the LS9's in both OB and boxed config, and for me (mostly classical), it's still the Super 7's by a fair bit. 

Now, on the other hand, those Mockingbird Audio line arrays Danny did a few years ago pretty much crush the Super 7's, IMO.  In every category - hahahaha.  But I can barely fit the Super 7's in my space (and could barely afford them).  The Mockingbirds were just way too big (and I couldn't afford them anyway). 

I've done the cap/coil change to Jupiters and Jantzens (copper foil in wax paper).  It's a substantial improvement, especially in tone and overall naturalness.  I think it's a combo of better materials (copper is just better than other foils) and vibration control (the paper/wax does a great job keeping everything very still and very damped).

Don't get me wrong, the LS-9s are great speakers, and if I listened to more rock and/or percussive music, they'd pull even with the 7's, and even surpass them in a few ways (micro and macro dynamics and overall scale).  I love big speakers, and the LS 9's are not only physically big, but they also sound huge. 

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #189 on: 19 Sep 2017, 04:35 pm »
I live with a pair of LS9s, and the 7's are better speakers.  There are some full orchestra passages where they are close, especially deep strings or bassoons, but I'd swap in a second.  Also, the 7's are much easier to install in a room.  Alas, the 7's were never available as a kit... so a really big advantage goes to the 9's in price. 

bernardo

« Reply #190 on: 21 Oct 2017, 05:44 pm »
Looking for any help other Super-7 owners can give me. First Watt J2s and F6s are appearing for sale in various websites. I have been contemplating trying either of these but have never had the opportunity to hear them. I currently have a Marantz SC11S1 and Dodd tube preamp. For whatever reason the Dodd is not compatible with my Marantz SM11S1 amp (long story) so I have thought about getting something that would be an improvement over the Marantz amp and hopefully allow me to use the Dodd with it.

In the long run I intend to audition the LIO DHT, ARC REF6, and Ayre KX-5 Twenty preamps to replace my current preamp. I had considered a FW F7 at one time but I am concerned with its low impedance spec which indicates it may not work well with tube preamps. I realize I may be putting the cart before the horse here but its due to the cost of the FW amps being much much lower than the preamps I am considering. Also hope that I may be satisfied using the Dodd with the FW amps.

Any advice you guys can offer will be appreciated.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #191 on: 21 Oct 2017, 05:53 pm »
Any interest in building your own amp?

http://www.tubes4hifi.com/bob.htm#M125

S Clark

« Reply #192 on: 21 Oct 2017, 05:56 pm »
If you are looking for an amp to go with a Dodd pre, I'd recommend..... a Dodd amp.  If you can be patient, one will come up for sale.  They are easy to work on (perhaps with the exception of his battery 6qb5 amp) and universally well thought of. 

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #193 on: 21 Oct 2017, 09:36 pm »
THROWBACK,
Should yours be called the LS-X line array speakers, since they are open baffle and running the 3x12" servo sub arrays?  The LS-9 were always the fully boxed version of the line array.

Just a thought, since it is a bit confusing.

THROWBACK

« Reply #194 on: 22 Oct 2017, 12:46 pm »
HAL,
I better let Danny answer that one (LS-9 or LS-X?). All I know is that they are terrific speakers.

The Super-7's are also terrific speakers. Are they better than the 9/X? Perhaps, but I don't know how anyone could tell since no one listens to speakers, only audio systems in vastly differing environments. I have made my system sound different (mostly better) by changing: speaker wires (now using Marigo); solder (ditto, Marigo); amplifier output and driver tubes; speaker crossover components; speaker placement (mains and subs); sub PEQ settings; phono cartridge loading, VTA, AZ. And I ain't through yet! Maybe new amps? Clearly there are impedance-matching problems with my Atma OTLs. Would solid state amps be better? Maybe biamping with an electronic crossover? Hmmm? Oh yeah, and what about . . . ?

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #195 on: 22 Oct 2017, 12:58 pm »
THROWBACK,
Hmmm...  Maybe yours should be the LS-X9 since it is your experimental speaker.  Kinda like the X aircraft from NASA.  :)

WC

« Reply #196 on: 22 Oct 2017, 01:10 pm »
So what about the Super 7 is difficult to duplicate? It uses Neo 10s, Neo 3s, and GR OB subs. Are all the drivers standard available versions? So it would be the waveguide, crossover, and enclosure dimensions that matter. I know Danny can't offer it as a kit, so waveguide dimension and construction would be the most difficult part.

S Clark

« Reply #197 on: 22 Oct 2017, 01:41 pm »
So what about the Super 7 is difficult to duplicate? It uses Neo 10s, Neo 3s, and GR OB subs. Are all the drivers standard available versions? So it would be the waveguide, crossover, and enclosure dimensions that matter. I know Danny can't offer it as a kit, so waveguide dimension and construction would be the most difficult part.
I would have liked to see the S7 offered as a kit with a simple cardboard cutout matching the shape of the waveguide.  You could use that to hand sand a waveguide onto a one inch insert to be glued into a cutout on the front baffle. Or even easier, cut out sections and laminte them.  Time consuming, but not rocket science. 

kingdeezie

« Reply #198 on: 22 Oct 2017, 02:26 pm »
Is Serenity Acoustics still in business? I thought I read before that the kit issue was because SA owned the design. If they are no longer an entity, what's the harm?

Captainhemo

« Reply #199 on: 22 Oct 2017, 11:16 pm »
THROWBACK,
Hmmm...  Maybe yours should be the LS-X9 since it is your experimental speaker.  Kinda like the X aircraft from NASA.  :)

LOL, kind of a  half breed,  yeah the  SL9's were in ported boxes, not open but he LSX used a different version of the woofers  (IIRC),  I think  Danny had a  small run of them mdade for the  LSX pair   buklt for Mocking bird.  I like the   LS(X     :)

for yo uguys wanting super 7's, don't overlook the NX  line.  Danny has commentd  that he feels they  meet even better the Super 7 in some  regards .  Yeah, the  7's  will be faster in the mids withe Neo 10's but   likely don't have the midrange punch of the  NQ's nor the deep waveguide of the  NX line that allows the Neo 3 to play  down deep.   A draw back is you need separate subs but if you've got the space.....

I'm not  playing down the   S7's  at all, I know they are amazing  ,  just saying   don't  under estimate the NX, talk to Danny about them

jay