Good 'starter' TT?

drphoto

Good 'starter' TT?
« on: 12 May 2003, 03:54 pm »
Thinking MH-7.  Could get demo for $750 But there's a dealer who has a used Sota Sapphire w/ arm but no cartridge for $650. I dunno, how much is a decent cartride....$400 or so?

So which way would you vinylheads go?

Marbles

Good 'starter' TT?
« Reply #1 on: 12 May 2003, 04:14 pm »
You should also budget for a nice phono pre if you don't have one already.

drphoto

Good 'starter' TT?
« Reply #2 on: 12 May 2003, 04:56 pm »
I now have the Tempest w/ a phono stage. That's why I'm considering this.

Marbles

Good 'starter' TT?
« Reply #3 on: 12 May 2003, 05:03 pm »
Check with Klaus to find out if it is for MC or MM, or can be set for both.

JoshK

Good 'starter' TT?
« Reply #4 on: 12 May 2003, 06:37 pm »
Ok, this is shameful self promotion but I have a Planar 3 for sale that fits your budget.

doug s.

• makin' music
Good 'starter' TT?
« Reply #5 on: 12 May 2003, 07:05 pm »
the sota (w/a decent arm) would be in another league from any new $750 'table, imo, w/possible exception of a technics 1200 w/full kab-usa mods...  a good cartridge can be had for $200.  check "2juki" on audiogon - he lives in hong kong, & has great deals on new cartridges, among other things...

doug s.

nature boy

Good 'starter' TT?
« Reply #6 on: 12 May 2003, 09:48 pm »
Dr.,

Encourage you to take Josh K. up on his shameful promotional offer.  The Rega P3 is a very good table and it is very reasonably priced.  Josh is a regularly poster and seems to treat his equipment well, at least based on his gallery photo's.  Spend what you will save over the Music Hall MMF-7 and buy some vinyl.

NB

duff138

Good 'starter' TT?
« Reply #7 on: 12 May 2003, 10:28 pm »
I think Josh's p3 is a great deal.  If you have $400 to spend on a cartridge.  I recently purchased a clearaudio virtuoso wood from a seller on Audiogon.  The seller is from the Netherlands and the cartridges are new with two year warranty.  Sells for $600-$750 in the US.  His price was $399, I think it's $416 now.   He also sells other clearaudio carts at good prices too.

mgalusha

Good 'starter' TT?
« Reply #8 on: 12 May 2003, 10:41 pm »
Quote from: duff138
I recently purchased a clearaudio virtuoso wood from a seller on Audiogon.  The seller is from the Netherlands and the cartridges are new with two year warranty.  Sells for $600-$750 in the US.  His price was $399, I think it's $416 now.   He also sells other clearaudio carts at good prices too.

Duff,

How do you like the Virtuoso Wood? I read the write up in Stereophile but I'd like to know what you think of it. $400 is a heck of a lot better than the $750 it lists for.

Mike

duff138

Good 'starter' TT?
« Reply #9 on: 13 May 2003, 12:22 am »
Quote from: mgalusha
Quote from: duff138
I recently purchased a clearaudio virtuoso wood from a seller on Audiogon.  The seller is from the Netherlands and the cartridges are new with two year warranty.  Sells for $600-$750 in the US.  His price was $399, I think it's $416 now.   He also sells other clearaudio carts at good prices too.

Duff,

How do you like the Virtuoso Wood? I read the write up in Stereophile but I'd like to know what you think of it. $400 is a heck of a lot better than the $750 it lists for.

Mike

I'm really enjoying it.  I had read the Stereophile review as well as the Stereo Times review, by Greg Weaver.  Greg Weaver actually uses the older version in his reference system.  I think their reviews are very acurate.  I noticed a significant improvement in over all sound quality when it replaced my Sumiko BPS.