What tubes do you plan to use in your DHT?

trcks

Re: What tubes do you plan to use in your DHT?
« Reply #80 on: 3 Jun 2017, 12:40 pm »
Hi,
Has anyone been able to compare the KR PX4s with the EML 2A3s?
Also saw a post in which Vinnie said that the filament current of the KR PX4 is low enough to use the VR Mini ultracap PS instead of the standard LPS.
Has anyone tried this and is there a benefit?
Thanks!

Vinnie R.

« Reply #81 on: 7 Jun 2017, 04:28 pm »
Hi,
Has anyone been able to compare the KR PX4s with the EML 2A3s?
Also saw a post in which Vinnie said that the filament current of the KR PX4 is low enough to use the VR Mini ultracap PS instead of the standard LPS.
Has anyone tried this and is there a benefit?
Thanks!

Hi trcks,

I have both and prefer the KR PX4 in the LIO DHT PRE.  The PX4 is more like mixing the 300B / 811 qualities with the EML 2A3 mesh, and giving you a healthy dose of what they each do so well (but without noise and hum). 

At some point I'll try using the VR MINI as the power supply for the PX4 filaments and will report back... good idea!  8)

Vinnie 

lengcm

« Reply #82 on: 10 Jul 2017, 01:34 pm »
Bought the KR PX4 as well! Can't wait for it to arrive!

mcanaday

« Reply #83 on: 19 Jul 2017, 01:56 pm »
How are the KR Px4s sounding?

Vinnie R.

« Reply #84 on: 21 Jul 2017, 06:32 pm »
How are the KR Px4s sounding?

Hi mcanaday,

Hopefully others with the KR PX-4 will chime in, but my take is that they are somewhere in the middle between the SV811 and the EML 2A3 Mesh Plate.  Bass and midrange is similar to what I love about the SV811.  Top end extension and openness ("air") is similar to what I love about the EML 2A3 Mesh Plate. 

The KR PX4 is definitely one of my favorite tubes to use with LIO DHT PRE!  :singing: :drool:  8)

Vinnie

mcanaday

« Reply #85 on: 22 Jul 2017, 12:35 am »
Thanks, Vinnie.  Still really getting good results with the stock tubes, but I may have to try these!

Mr. Rock

« Reply #86 on: 17 Sep 2017, 01:37 pm »
Hello ,

It would be really nice to hear what all the tubes type that work with the LIO DHT sound like.  2A3 / 45, 300B, PX4 / PX25, 101D / 205D, and SV811 / SV572 .   Has anyone tried all of the tube types and would have a break down of each?

Vinnie ,
Is there a reason you choose to use the 2A3 for the stock version as opposed to the other types?

Thanks

Vinnie R.

« Reply #87 on: 17 Sep 2017, 06:58 pm »
Hello ,

It would be really nice to hear what all the tubes type that work with the LIO DHT sound like.  2A3 / 45, 300B, PX4 / PX25, 101D / 205D, and SV811 / SV572 .   Has anyone tried all of the tube types and would have a break down of each?

Vinnie ,
Is there a reason you choose to use the 2A3 for the stock version as opposed to the other types?

Thanks

Hi Mr. Rock,

Welcome to the VR forum!

The included Electro Harmonics 2A3 "Gold Grid" tubes are very linear, very quiet and deliver a very wide bandwidth out to around 500kHz in the LIO DHT PRE circuit.  They are new production, so I decided that these would be the "stock" tubes and bought a bunch of matched pairs to include with DHT PRE.

They are an excellent starting point and quite "neutral" sounding.  For some of my DHT PRE customers, they love them and have no desire to change.  For others looking for more warmth, more richness of tone, more bass, etc... there are others that you probably enjoy even more!  :singing:

You might want to read over this thread:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=144292.0

But keep in mind that your results will vary based on a number of other factors, such as your speakers, room acoustics,
type of music, etc.

I'll be happy to help with recommendations if you email me...

Best regards,

Vinnie

Mr. Rock

« Reply #88 on: 20 Sep 2017, 08:49 pm »
Vinnie ,

Thanks for the welcome to your forum page. I will have to check out The Vinnie Rossi LIO DHT Preamp Tube Tour 2016. There is a lot information here on the VR forum. Looking forward to learning more.

Thanks

Vinnie R.

« Reply #89 on: 22 Sep 2017, 03:56 pm »
Mr. Rock,

The more I listen to various DHTs, the more I continue to appreciate and love the KR PX-4. 

I find it to be the "middle way" between the EML 2A3 Mesh Plate and the SV811-10, which I
also enjoy for different moods and music. 

I'm also curious if any LIO DHT owners have tried the Takatsuki 300B?  Wink2

Vinnie

flkin

« Reply #90 on: 23 Sep 2017, 05:09 am »
Yes I have but I only have the stock EH tubes and another set of 300b from china to compare them with. The Takatsuki 300Bs are simply superb. Huge, analogue, holographic soundstage. Bass extends smoothly to 30hz and as I don’t have much material lower than that haven’t tested with anything lower. Female voice is very engaging.

I have been using my RWAK240+ as the DAC with great results but after switching to the DAC 2.0 it’s another level up.

Vinnie R.

« Reply #91 on: 23 Sep 2017, 05:42 pm »
The Takatsuki 300Bs are simply superb. Huge, analogue, holographic soundstage. Bass extends smoothly to 30hz and as I don’t have much material lower than that haven’t tested with anything lower. Female voice is very engaging.

I have been using my RWAK240+ as the DAC with great results but after switching to the DAC 2.0 it’s another level up.

Hi flkin,

Thanks for chiming in about the Takatsuki 300B.  :drool:

Maybe someone coming to Rocky Mountain Audio Fest has a pair and would like to listen to them with LIO DHT PRE?  8)
(hey, that's how I learned about the KR PX4 at AXPONA this year!).

Vinnie

sfox7076

« Reply #92 on: 23 Sep 2017, 06:17 pm »
If you get to the show in NYC, I have a pair of Taks, a pair of EL Rogs and a bunch of original WEs (300B and 275A pairs) to do an ear test. 

Vinnie R.

« Reply #93 on: 25 Sep 2017, 03:55 pm »
If you get to the show in NYC, I have a pair of Taks, a pair of EL Rogs and a bunch of original WEs (300B and 275A pairs) to do an ear test.

hi sfox7076,

Thanks for your offer!  I won't be exhibiting at the NYC show this year.  RMAF will be my last show of 2017.
And there will be many more for 2018.  :whip: 

Vinnie

yardbird4

« Reply #94 on: 17 Oct 2017, 06:57 pm »
Mr. Rock,

The more I listen to various DHTs, the more I continue to appreciate and love the KR PX-4. 

I find it to be the "middle way" between the EML 2A3 Mesh Plate and the SV811-10, which I
also enjoy for different moods and music. 

I'm also curious if any LIO DHT owners have tried the Takatsuki 300B?  Wink2

Vinnie

I joined the KR-PX4 club yesterday.  I have to trot out the well worn phrase ... "nothing but the truth."  They are totally involving and that was after they had only been playing for an hour.  I am/was a big fan of the Electro-Harmonix 2A3's, especially for the money.  Although the KR-PX4's cost about 5 times as much, they are worth every penny. No buyers remorse here. Mids, base, treble, detail and vocals without etch or sibilance, its all there (or not) as appropriate.  The bass seems to be as powerful as the music calls for without interfering with the mids or treble which makes for great seperation of the individual instruments. Great body and texture as well as convinceing soundstage. They are really revealing of what the DHT is all about and it takes the LIO up at least 2 levels.  WOW!

Vinnie R.

« Reply #95 on: 20 Oct 2017, 06:10 pm »
Hi Yardbird4,

Welcome to the KR PX4 club!  :thumb:

Although the KR-PX4's cost about 5 times as much, they are worth every penny. No buyers remorse here. Mids, base, treble, detail and vocals without etch or sibilance, its all there (or not) as appropriate.  The bass seems to be as powerful as the music calls for without interfering with the mids or treble which makes for great separation of the individual instruments. Great body and texture as well as convincing soundstage. They are really revealing of what the DHT is all about and it takes the LIO up at least 2 levels.  WOW!

Sounds like you are enjoying them!  8)

Thanks for posting!

Vinnie

mca

« Reply #96 on: 22 Oct 2017, 09:47 pm »
 What do you guys feel is the most detailed tube that can be run in the LIO? (Without spending crazy money!)

jriggy

« Reply #97 on: 23 Oct 2017, 01:37 pm »
What do you guys feel is the most detailed tube that can be run in the LIO? (Without spending crazy money!)

Hey mike,
We’ve had similar gear paths before and I think I know what you have but not sure... Apart from tube choice, I may be able to help some in the detail department. Shoot me a PM if ya want...

Jason

Vinnie R.

« Reply #98 on: 24 Oct 2017, 08:39 pm »

Hi mca,

A very clean, detailed, linear, high bandwidth, and low-noise tube to use with LIO DHT PRE is the EH 2A3 Gold Grid tube... just
sayin'  :wink:

Vinnie

yardbird4

« Reply #99 on: 24 Oct 2017, 09:05 pm »
Hi mca,

A very clean, detailed, linear, high bandwidth, and low-noise tube to use with LIO DHT PRE is the EH 2A3 Gold Grid tube... just
sayin'  :wink:

Vinnie

Amen.  And it does not break the bank either.