Upgrading your microRendu to software version 2.5 Sounds Phenomenal!

Tubeburner

The microRendu new software version 2.5 was easy to install and I received a nice surprise. The sound improvement is Phenomenal, like another step up in sound quality. Andrew & Jesus, thank you for your hard work and caring about the music. I feel like I got a new piece of gear for $20. :D :thumb:

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
Just got mine in the mail. Looking forward to it! Thanks for the accolade & endorsement. What are you using as your player? I'm a Roon convert, never having used HQ player.

Best,
Anand.

Tomy2Tone

The microRendu new software version 2.5 was easy to install and I received a nice surprise. The sound improvement is Phenomenal, like another step up in sound quality. Andrew & Jesus, thank you for your hard work and caring about the music. I feel like I got a new piece of gear for $20. :D :thumb:

Where's the info on this? How do you go about getting it?

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
Where's the info on this? How do you go about getting it?

I got an email from Andrew since I receive a newsletter from SGC from time to time. Email him or Jesus directly.

Best,
Anand.

ebag4

I'll be watching this thread for impressions.  I won't use the new functions, Roon user here as well, however I didnt realize that the new rev was supposed to improve on 2.3 so decided not to buy it.  If there are audible improvements to be had count me in.  The move to the ultracapcitor power supply was a nice step in the right direction so hopefully this will be as well.

Best,
Ed

Tubeburner

I'll be watching this thread for impressions.  I won't use the new functions, Roon user here as well, however I didnt realize that the new rev was supposed to improve on 2.3 so decided not to buy it.  If there are audible improvements to be had count me in.  The move to the ultracapcitor power supply was a nice step in the right direction so hopefully this will be as well.

I didn't expect an improvement is sound so this was quite a surprise. I have the ultracapacitor power supply also and it was a nice addition.

Information from the email I received:

The Sonicorbiter 2.5 operating system comes with the following new features and enhancements:
1. Updated base operating system and Kernel.
2. All the pre-configured applications have been updated to the latest release versions and or stable versions.
3. DSD playback now supports Native DSD with POP free PCM/DSD transitions.
4. New devices have been added that support Native DSD playback.
5. Spotify Connect has been added as a new output mode. This new output mode can be controlled by your computer or tablet running the Spotify application. The application can be installed and uninstalled from Software Manager.
6. A SongCast receiver has been added to the existing MPD/DLNA output mode. This new output mode accepts streams from your computer running Linn Songcast. The application can be installed and uninstalled from the Software manager. The application is in Beta form.

What are you using as your player? I'm a Roon convert, never having used HQ player.

I am running JRiver 22 over my home network. No conversion, just straight up. I haven't tried Roon yet.

SFDude

Thanks for the initial feedback. I thought this was mostly an update to add new options and features to leverage the mR. I am guessing they tweaked the OS a little more to squeeze some further extra "stuff" out.

Waiting for a few more folks to review it before getting off my lazy butt to order and go through the upgrade... er.... update. ;)

-dave

jpm

Sonore themselves are very careful to avoid claims about any change in SQ at all.

There's been a lengthy and lively discussion on their Computer Audiophile forum which can make a grown person weep if they prefer to avoid some of the whiny bitching.

Tomy2Tone

I got an email from Andrew since I receive a newsletter from SGC from time to time. Email him or Jesus directly.

Best,
Anand.

Thanks Anand!

Got it ordered.

Here's the link to the order page for those interested...

https://www.smallgreencomputer.com/pages/sonicorbiter-2-5

z06gal

I just ordered a SOSE and should arrive Monday.  Will it have the latest release or do I need to order it? Thank you ;)

magnuska

I installed without problems the 2.5 update a week ago.
Regarding SQ I also hear an improvement over 2.3. The first days it actually felt like it was a burn in
situation with this too. Sounds unlikely as it is a software change but after this week it has opened up more. Midrange is clearer and bass too so I guess and hope what I hear is correct. Would be interesting to know how others experience.

Regards Magnus

MttBsh

I too just last night upgraded from 2.3 to 2.5 and I "think" I hear an improvement but it could easily be the placebo effect - after all, the equipment was long ago fully burned in and all I've done is replaced a microchip with new data on it. The darned sound is already so amazing it's hard to tell but I'll keep listening. Having the new apps like Spotify Connect is a definite benefit.

Big Red Machine

I have been standing at my monitor for 90 minutes trying to get jriver to see the microrendu and for the microrendunto see my dac. No luck. Every time this thing gets messed with i lose connection to jriver.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
I have been standing at my monitor for 90 minutes trying to get jriver to see the microrendu and for the microrendunto see my dac. No luck. Every time this thing gets messed with i lose connection to jriver.
You really should use Roon.  Works.  Every.  Time. 

Tubeburner

I have been standing at my monitor for 90 minutes trying to get jriver to see the microrendu and for the microrendun to see my dac. No luck. Every time this thing gets messed with i lose connection to jriver.

I use JRiver also. After the update to 2.5, I made sure to go to the software and update a second time to be sure. I could see my dac right away. I always turn on the dac first(mine sits in standby) and then boot up Jriver. I wait a little bit before checking "Playing Now" for the mRendu. I fired it up this morning and all was ready to play in a few minutes. I never shut down mRendu, but I read it goes into standby. For some reason, it seems to matter which way I do this. Works everytime this way.(Knock on wood).

Big Red Machine

What audio device in jriver do you use?

My dac is not seen by microru at all.

Tubeburner

What audio device in jriver do you use?

Just DNLA server

It sounds like the mRendu power plug slipped back or is shut down. If you can't see the mRendu on the Sonore page with you network, something has happened to power. I moved mine once and the power supply is on another shelf and I pulled the cord out for the power supply. It happens. Let us know what you find.

Big Red Machine

I dont have dlna server as a choice. Would it be nentwork streamer?  I am under the audio device tool.

Tubeburner

Yes, Network Streamer. (Note: Never go from memory at 59 years old and counting.)

Big Red Machine

Okay

And in the media network page are you generic dlna?

Are you going into dsp studio or leaving it alone as "none"?