Low stands for Omega CAMs

milkplus

Low stands for Omega CAMs
« on: 14 Feb 2024, 01:56 pm »
Hi there. First post, so apologies if this belongs somewhere else, but I wasn't able to search...

I'm currently in the market for some new speakers and am strongly considering something from Omega. I have my eye on the CAMs, but coming from mainly having floorstanders, I've never been a big fan of the typical stands for monitor speakers.

Has anyone had success with this floor-style stand (see image), ie. JBL l100/KL Model 5/etc. with the CAMs? or is this perhaps a bad idea base don the way the speakers are designed?

I'm a bit new to the brand so still trying to learn as much as I can before I make a decision - currently between the CAMs or Junior 8/Super 3

Thanks!

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
Re: Low stands for Omega CAMs
« Reply #1 on: 14 Feb 2024, 03:39 pm »
CAM's are a good choice.  I'm partial to the alnicos having tried both that and the 7" ferrites.

My advice is to get your speakers first and experiment.  Those JBL stands have a tilt, which may be perfect.  But, once you have them, you might find a higher stand with no tilt is preferable.  Use boxes or whatever you have to find your ideal positioning, height, and tilt.  Then order or build stands accordingly.

....Pete

RDavidson

« Reply #2 on: 14 Feb 2024, 07:52 pm »
Yup! That’s good advice by pstrisik.
The thing about those low tilted stands is that you’re sort of locked-in to a certain position and the amount of tilt might not be correct for your listening distance. Also note that single driver speakers are inherently a point source design. I’m afraid the sound will always seem as though it is emanating from the floor versus a more natural height straight ahead. Definitely talk to Louis about it (call him). He will not steer you wrong and will provide options/suggestions you may not have thought of. Louis does custom stuff too!

milkplus

« Reply #3 on: 14 Feb 2024, 08:45 pm »
Solid advice. Thank you both. I'm a little hesitant on the CAMs if I'm being honest because I've always had floor standers. The idea of going to monitors makes me inherently nervous haha. But the mandate from the project manager (read: wife) of our new living room has made it pretty clear that the speakers need to be smaller to work with the aesthetics.

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
« Reply #4 on: 15 Feb 2024, 01:19 am »
There's always the SAM-HOs (what I have).  They perform close to floor standers.  Obviously, bigger than SAMS, but smaller than floor standers.

js1955

« Reply #5 on: 15 Feb 2024, 02:27 pm »
IMO a pair of monitors on proper-height stands takes up the same space, both visually and actually, as a pair of smallish floorstanders.  And the latter should sound better, particularly in the LF.

:dunno: