Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
Re: Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release
« Reply #800 on: 2 Sep 2014, 03:19 pm »
HI Chris,

as of lately, mpd-watch doesn't prevent the BDP from loosing connection after a longer while of non-usage. Apparently writing files to the attached usb drives doesn't count as usage, since just did that through Finder/Mac, and still MPD won't respond.

Rebooting it is the only solution to bring it back alive again. Strangely rebooting is possible from within MM, while most other commands won't work.

in MM interface you state MPD-watch being useful when playing music non-stop for more than 18 hours. It seems we need the same functionality for not playing at all for the same period?

Also, after rebooting, often MPD is not working, and i have to explicitly re-enable the service. on several other occasions, MM states the BDP is not connected to the internet, and the network drive is offline, which of course it isn't.

im on build 08-18

Hope you could  fix the page scrolling-flickering issue soon? it is not only terrible on the eye, but it prevents us to show the bottom of the page, exactly the spot you've programmed the non-indexed music-files to be listed...

updating the database renders the BDP to be unresponsive and out of service altogether right now, not even showing it is updating....:

Cheers,
Marius

I've been experiencing a similar issue with my personal BDP-1 at home, problem is it doesn't appear to ever to lock up while top is running from terminal.  My current fix is to always have a terminal window on your mac open running top from the BDP  :lol:

I am aware that this freezing/crashing is occurring, but I haven't been able to gather any information as to what is causing it.

I have been trying to fix these flickering issues, the only ones I have noticed (been able to reproduce) so far have to do with the scrolling marquee.

Cheers,
Chris

docder

« Reply #801 on: 2 Sep 2014, 10:32 pm »
Hi,

I had the flickering images using Safari but things seems to have settled down now. One problem I have is there is no sample/bit rate showing per track and the cover art is all wrong, it should be the cover of Out to Lunch -

regards

David

Marius

« Reply #802 on: 3 Sep 2014, 07:06 am »
Hi Chris,
Thanks,

Ill have to rephrase my previous comment on being able to reboot through MM.
I thought i was, but yesterday i found out the reboot command in MM didn't really reboot the bdp. It was still in locked state, the display showing tracks from when i last played it more than a day before. MM had been faking reboots :scratch:  Physically rebooting it did of course (power off/power on) help, and i was able to talk to the bdp again.

This well explains why after rebooting the mentioned issues weren't solved... The BDP was still in locked state. As to how MM displays the rebooting sequence, while in fact it isn't, is beyond me, maybe some extra coding is necessary to make sure MM displays the true physical state of the BDP.

Ill send you the screen movies of the screen flickering per mail if thats ok with you. AC won't allow posting movies.

Cheers,
Marius

ps any specific Top command line option to set? Ill go and give it a try
ps 2 Marquee is not enabled

I've been experiencing a similar issue with my personal BDP-1 at home, problem is it doesn't appear to ever to lock up while top is running from terminal.  My current fix is to always have a terminal window on your mac open running top from the BDP  :lol:

I am aware that this freezing/crashing is occurring, but I haven't been able to gather any information as to what is causing it.

I have been trying to fix these flickering issues, the only ones I have noticed (been able to reproduce) so far have to do with the scrolling marquee.

Cheers,
Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #803 on: 4 Sep 2014, 01:07 am »
Hi Marius,

It's likley loading the pages out of your browsers cache, basically the JavaScript sends the command and then assumes the BDP received it.

Yah just issue "top" then push "d", this will let you edit how often it refreshes.  I usually set it for one second, by default it should 3 seconds.  Finally push "c", this should give you full command so if it's a perl script then it will indicate which perl script.  Also you may want to make the terminal window as large as possible as the commands won't wrap, I don't know if there is a shortcut for this.

Cheers
Chris

thomlieb

« Reply #804 on: 5 Sep 2014, 08:59 pm »
Odd problem here. I have been using two large Western Digital hard drives with my BDP-1 since I got it. One of them never was accessible over the network (showed up, but that was it), but was usable via Mpad. After installing the latest firmware, it does not even show up on the front panel drive list on the BDP-1. Switched its input with the other drive, and it still did not appear. Since half my collection is on it, this is not good. Any ideas what might be going on?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #805 on: 6 Sep 2014, 02:01 pm »
Odd problem here. I have been using two large Western Digital hard drives with my BDP-1 since I got it. One of them never was accessible over the network (showed up, but that was it), but was usable via Mpad. After installing the latest firmware, it does not even show up on the front panel drive list on the BDP-1. Switched its input with the other drive, and it still did not appear. Since half my collection is on it, this is not good. Any ideas what might be going on?

Does it show up in disk information?

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #806 on: 6 Sep 2014, 05:25 pm »

Pull the drive and connect it to a computer, just to make sure the drive is accessible. If that doesn't work, try changing the cable. Also, if it has an external power supply, see if that's working (does the drive spin up when you plug it in?).

That will at least eliminate the drive as the problem. Even if the cable works on a computer, you might try changing it anyway, just in case.

- Garrett

Marius

« Reply #807 on: 9 Sep 2014, 10:12 am »
Never had this before.....Chris  :scratch:

Marius

thomlieb

« Reply #808 on: 10 Sep 2014, 02:21 am »
Quote from: thomlieb on  5 Sep 2014, 08:59 pm

Does it show up in disk information?

It does not. The drive is a WD 2 Tb drive. I tried two others I have of the same size, and the same problem is happening. Larger drives are working fine. All drives also work fine on the computer. As I noted, the 2 Tb drive was never accessible over the network -- showed up but I could not open the folder or update it.

ttsto

« Reply #809 on: 10 Sep 2014, 08:24 am »
I had same issue more than one year ago when connecting two large HDD on USB, one was not mounted in 80% of the cases
I could not find solution to this issue, so I bought a NAS for 100$ and put the two drives inside. Since then I have no more problems

thomlieb

« Reply #810 on: 10 Sep 2014, 01:51 pm »
Thanks, TTSTO. But the weird thing is that since the upgrade, all the WD 2 Tb drives are not recognized at all by the BDP-1. It is no longer a question of the second drive not mounting - even when I have tried to attach one of my three 2 Tb drives individually, they do no show up. I am wondering if there is a USB version issue since they are older than my more recent, larger drives.

ttsto

« Reply #811 on: 10 Sep 2014, 03:05 pm »
In this case maybe something was corrupt during upgrade.
See if USB mount is checked in Services section.
If this is not, probably you should put BDP in service mode and email Bryston support

thomlieb

« Reply #812 on: 10 Sep 2014, 06:34 pm »
I might not be being clear enough with my problem. Before the upgrade, I had one 2 Tb and one 4 Tb Western Digital hard drives with my music. I could access all music from mPad or front panel but could see but not access the smaller drive from my computer. After the upgrade, the 2 Tb does not register at all with the BDP-1 no matter how I try, even when it is the only drive connected to the BDP-1. I substituted two other identical HDs, using all the USB inputs, and none are recognized. HOWEVER, the 4 Tb drive is still recognized, as is a 3 Tb drive I have sitting around. So it doesn't sound like a general error, just something in the upgrade that prevents these drives from being accepted. I sent Chris a note a few weeks back but have not heard anything from him.

renato

« Reply #813 on: 11 Sep 2014, 02:30 pm »
Hi,

I run MM from my Nokia Lumia with Windows 8.1 and Explorer but I do not understand why every bdp boot implies the reinstallation of the MDP.
any idea?

best regards

R

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #814 on: 12 Sep 2014, 01:41 am »
Thanks, TTSTO. But the weird thing is that since the upgrade, all the WD 2 Tb drives are not recognized at all by the BDP-1. It is no longer a question of the second drive not mounting - even when I have tried to attach one of my three 2 Tb drives individually, they do no show up. I am wondering if there is a USB version issue since they are older than my more recent, larger drives.

Are they bus powered? It sounds like the BDP isn't even seeing them as devices if they don't even show up under disk information.

Cheers
Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #815 on: 12 Sep 2014, 01:44 am »
I might not be being clear enough with my problem. Before the upgrade, I had one 2 Tb and one 4 Tb Western Digital hard drives with my music. I could access all music from mPad or front panel but could see but not access the smaller drive from my computer. After the upgrade, the 2 Tb does not register at all with the BDP-1 no matter how I try, even when it is the only drive connected to the BDP-1. I substituted two other identical HDs, using all the USB inputs, and none are recognized. HOWEVER, the 4 Tb drive is still recognized, as is a 3 Tb drive I have sitting around. So it doesn't sound like a general error, just something in the upgrade that prevents these drives from being accepted. I sent Chris a note a few weeks back but have not heard anything from him.

I can tell you it wasn't due to the upgrade, I havn't touched that part of the firmware since it was released.  The quickes way of figuring these things out is placing the BDP into service mode and emailing us the service id, otherwise I can only guess and that's frustrating for everyone.

Cheers
Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #816 on: 12 Sep 2014, 01:49 am »
Hi,

I run MM from my Nokia Lumia with Windows 8.1 and Explorer but I do not understand why every bdp boot implies the reinstallation of the MDP.
any idea?

best regards

R

Short answer: yup, that happens

Long answer: the BDP's firmware is stored in a compressed live filesystem, so any changes made to the filesystem are wiped out when ever the BDP is powered off.  The version of MPD is selectable and the message confirms the correct version is being installed.  This is done for a few reasons, it makes the firmware easy to upgrade and less likley to fail, the OS is more stable as if any filesystem corruption does occur it's fixed by rebooting and if something else goes wrong, well a reboot fixes that as well.  A default version of MPD isn't installed by default as it appears installing another one in this enviroment cleaner and with the new streaming features people may not want to use the BDP as we intended.  The BDP's equivalent to a regestry (user space) is seperate from the file system, so if this breaks it can be fixed without reloading the firmware (factory reset).  This is how we get what is essentially a computer to behave a bit better and with fewer hassles.

Cheers
Chris

Marius

« Reply #817 on: 12 Sep 2014, 06:40 am »
Hi Chris,

Is there any chance you w

ill be implementing the use of the dedicated music keys on the keyboard for MM, and, even better , the lock screen options on the iPhone? So cool to not have to wake up the computer/phone, and still be able to command the music player .

Thanks,
Marius

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #818 on: 12 Sep 2014, 12:39 pm »
Hi Chris,

Is there any chance you w

ill be implementing the use of the dedicated music keys on the keyboard for MM, and, even better , the lock screen options on the iPhone? So cool to not have to wake up the computer/phone, and still be able to command the music player .

Thanks,
Marius

I don't know if I can do anything about the lock screen on an iphone/iPad, that seems like the sort of thing apple would limit. 

If I understand correctly you wish to connect a USB keyboard (wired or wireless) to the BDP to control it?  This shouldn't be a problem.

Cheers
Chris

Marius

« Reply #819 on: 13 Sep 2014, 08:38 am »
Hi Chris,

No, i did not refer to a keyboard to the bdp. I really meant the keyboard of the computer MM is running on. Most keyboards have dedicated play/pause/stop/forward/back (and volume) keys that control the music software that is running on that computer. Itunes, Audirvana etc etc all react to those keys.

I think it would be great if MM would be able to do that to.

And the other thing, the lock screen: the screen i provided is a Tune In screen. others do it to, they are not a
Apple apps. Music apps that are running while the iphone powers down in lock screen. Alex and the likes use it to great effect. The command keys are available, without having to enter the Iphone again.

Mpod doesn't use this functionality yet, unfortunately. Don't know if a browser app like MM would be able to use this, but it would certainly be wonderful.

Plex reminds me again of my earlier question: will you implement being able to play BDP connected music files on the machine whiteness running MM? Iphone in my case. MM on it reads the MPD and commands the BDP, but it would also be very nice to be able to play the files on the iphone. Plex enables me to read/play my entire home library wherever i am. MM could do that too!

Last question: when will we be able to access the BDP without being on the local network. I can download music files to my NAS from anywhere in the world, but cant copy them to my BDP.... Would be very nice to be able to update / change the library from a distance, and, read system settings , update / check the firmware etc etc.

Cheers,

Marius

I don't know if I can do anything about the lock screen on an iphone/iPad, that seems like the sort of thing apple would limit. 

If I understand correctly you wish to connect a USB keyboard (wired or wireless) to the BDP to control it?  This shouldn't be a problem.

Cheers
Chris