SE-1 construction Questions (and intro)

Gester

« on: 23 Mar 2004, 11:34 am »
Hi All;

I am trying to set the record for the longest time to make a pair of SE-1's. I think I have had the plans for 2.5+ years and am finally almost finished. These are not my first speakers (ME-2's & Ariels...) and I have been a bit more ambitious constructing a marine ply / mdf laminated box with a solid jarrah front & lots of bracing. My primary excuse is my 2.5 y/o daughter & my "renovators delight" house. I am an IT trainer in Ashwood, Melbourne, Australia (what a surprise to find someone in IT on AudioCircle...!) and my next project is an AKSA amplifier…

SE-1 Questions (I have misplaced some of the original instructions  :( )
1)   What stuffing should be used in the SE-1?
2)   What is the port length?
3)   Are there  any disadvantages in using a 1 inch radius bit to round the edges of the baffle?

Thanks  :D

Gerald Brown

Shamrock Audio

« Reply #1 on: 23 Mar 2004, 04:49 pm »
Hi Gerald,

Boy, you are taking your time arent you? :)

Stuffing:

We used to suggest polyester fiberfil (Dacron pillow stuffing), as it was cheap. However, you can use an open cell foam instead. Assuming that you opt for the foam, use the 2" stuff. Placement should be a single piece that covers the bottom panel of the cabinet, another for the back and sides behind the woofer, and another for the top panel of the cabinet.

Port:

Make the port length 3.5"

1" Radius:

It's doubtful that you'll do significant harm. You will change the dispersion characteristics, but that may turn out to be a good thing. I assume that you intend to use a thicker baffle to accomodate the radius. It's not needed except to accomodate the 1" radius.

Best regards,

Gester

« Reply #2 on: 24 Mar 2004, 06:36 am »
Thanks Mike!

I am very keen to have a good listen!

Gester

Fibre Fill
« Reply #3 on: 13 Jun 2004, 12:39 pm »
1) Hi again Mike, because I have a lot of bracing inside the box I have decided to use fibre rateher than foam. what quantity should I use? :?:

2) Is the 3.5 inch post length measured from the front of the baffle to the rear of the tube? :?:

I havent got to far with the speakers since the last post but I do have 35 tonnes of fresh concrete in my back yard...  :D

Shamrock Audio

Re: Fibre Fill
« Reply #4 on: 14 Jun 2004, 03:36 pm »
Quote from: Gester
1) Hi again Mike, because I have a lot of bracing inside the box I have decided to use fibre rateher than foam. what quantity should I use? :?:

2) Is the 3.5 inch post length measured from the front of the baffle to the rear of the tube? :?:

I havent got to far with the speakers since the last post but I do have 35 tonnes of fresh concrete in my back yard...  :D

Hi Gerald,

It sounds like you've added or changed the bracing shown in the plans. If so, you've changed the enclosure volume as well. That means that the tuning has changed as well. Therefore, the stuffing routine has also changed.

When built to spec. the port length is 3.5" from the face of the baffle to the end of the port.

Congratulations on your new concrete.  :D

Gester

« Reply #5 on: 23 Aug 2004, 01:24 pm »
Quote from: Shamrock Audio

It sounds like you've added or changed the bracing shown in the plans. If so, you've changed the enclosure volume as well. That means that the tuning has changed as well. Therefore, the stuffing routine has also changed.

:D

Mike, I adjusted the internal dimensions of the box to asccomodate the extra bracing, so the volume will be verry close to the original. I have "pollyester fibre filling" (I assume cussion stuffing material). What would be a good quantity to use? (Grams /ounces / handfuls/?)

I have oiled one of the solid Jarah baffles, looks gorgeous...

Gester

« Reply #6 on: 23 Aug 2004, 01:24 pm »
Quote from: Shamrock Audio

:D

Mike, I adjusted the internal dimensions of the box to asccomodate the extra bracing, so the volume will be verry close to the original. I have "pollyester fibre filling" (I assume cussion stuffing material). What would be a good quantity to use? (Grams /ounces / handfuls/?)

I have oiled one of the solid Jarah baffles, looks gorgeous...

Shamrock Audio

« Reply #7 on: 24 Aug 2004, 08:20 pm »
In the upper section directly behind the tweeter, pack that area about twice as densely as a pillow. Place a small handful directly behind the woofer. Do not put any in the lower section where the port is.

Alternatively, you can use foam on all internal walls except the inside of the front baffle. (prefferred) :)