FS: Amazing Pre-amp for CHEAP ($680)

newzooreview

FS: Amazing Pre-amp for CHEAP ($680)
« on: 8 Mar 2014, 12:42 am »
Would you like a terrific preamp for a great price? Including its optional external linear power supply?

Please consider this very well reviewed European pre-amp, hand-made in the EU, with remote volume control: The HEED Pre with PX power supply.

Originally $3,100 and worth every penny.

Yours for $680 + shipping to the U.S. or local pickup in Northern Virginia.

This replaced a Wyred4Sound STP-SE pre-amp in my system after a side-by-side comparison. The difference was not subtle. The HEED Pre has a custom-made external power supply, the HEED PX, which certainly gives it an advantage over the all-in-one Wyred4Sound box.

The HEED Pre and HEED PX power supply cost $3100 when I bought them 4½ years ago from an authorized U.S. dealer, and they are still in production by HEED. The Pre can accommodate a plugin HEED DAC and HEED phono stage which run on their own isolated power supplies. Neither DAC or phono plugin cards is included, but the option is there if you want to add it. The HEED U.S. importer, Profundo Audio, is very good to work with.

The HEED Pre with the PX power supply comes with a small, light remote that controls volume and muting. The remote does not switch sources (which is another reason the HEED sounds better than my Wyred4Sound STP-SE – the HEED is more transparent because it doesn’t have to accommodate remote control of source switching).

The HEED Pre and PX are exceptionally quiet and provide the dynamics and musicality that a good active preamp adds to a system. Areas where the HEED bettered my Wyred4Sound include PRAT, dynamics, timbre, and minute detail retrieval.

Price: $2200 $1700 --> $1199 --> NOW $680 (originally $3100) + shipping cost within the United States
Includes the HEED Pre and PX power supply, remote control, and Pre to PX cable (pictured). Both in excellent condition and perfect working order.

For much less than the cost of an STP-SE you can have a more expandable pre-amp with better detail, dynamics, timbre, and musicality. The HEED Pre and PX are hand-made in Hungary and very well reviewed in the European audiophile press although not well known in the U.S.

Payment by PayPal to PayPal verified address (I can absorb the PayPal fee).

I am not considering trades.

Manufacturer’s Specifications for the HEED Pre:
Frequency response (+0, -1dB, unity gain):    1Hz – 105kHz
Frequency response (+0, -3dB, unity gain):    1Hz – 220kHz
Input impedance:    10kΩ
Input sensitivity (at 775mVRMS out):    220mVRMS
Output impedance:    < 35Ω
Maximum output level (at THD = 1%):    7.5VRMS
Gain:    10dB
Headroom:    20dB
Total harmonic distortion (full range):    < 0,005%
Signal to noise ratio (at 775 mVRMS out, unweighted):    > 100dB
Max. power consumption:    10W
Weight:    4.2kg

N.B.: No DAC card is installed so the S/PDIF and Toslink inputs are not functional. You can easily get a DAC and/or Phono card from HEED to make a very compact front end for your system.

The remote only controls volume and muting. The other buttons are not functional (by design; nothing wrong with the remote).

Stock photo. I have not opened my Pre to photograph the inside.

Stock photo. I have not opened my PX power supply to photograph the inside.
« Last Edit: 5 Sep 2016, 07:24 pm by newzooreview »

newzooreview

Re: FS: HEED Pre-Amp and PX Power Supply $1900 Price Drop
« Reply #1 on: 14 Mar 2014, 08:53 pm »
bump
« Last Edit: 23 Mar 2014, 01:54 pm by newzooreview »

newzooreview

Re: FS: HEED Pre-Amp and PX Power Supply $1900 Price drop
« Reply #2 on: 23 Mar 2014, 01:54 pm »
bump
price drop

newzooreview

Re: FS: HEED Pre-Amp and PX Power Supply $1700 (Price drop)
« Reply #3 on: 5 Apr 2014, 12:06 am »
bump

newzooreview

Re: FS: HEED Pre-Amp and PX Power Supply $1199 (HUGE price drop)
« Reply #4 on: 26 Jan 2015, 02:33 am »
Bump with price drop to $1199

newzooreview

Bump with big price drop.

newzooreview

Re: FS: Amazing Pre-amp for CHEAP ($680)
« Reply #6 on: 21 Oct 2016, 03:34 pm »
bump