Thank You Les

jhm731

Thank You Les
« on: 16 Aug 2013, 10:07 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRihIrBf3vI

Thank You Les, a 21-track recording and feature-length documentary tribute to guitar icon and inventor, Les Paul, garners three awards at the 12th Annual Independent Music Awards (IMAs). Thank You Les has earned the titles of “Best Tribute Album” and “Best Long Form Video” in the artist and industry judging portion of the IMAs, in addition to “Best Tribute Album” in the world-wide voting Vox Populi (People’s Choice). Some judges for this year’s international awards included Tom Waits, Judy Collins, Ziggy Marley, Suzanne Vega and Arturo Sandoval.

Produced by Ben Elliott and Joni Forte from Showplace Music Productions in New Jersey, along with Jersey guitarist and Les’ long-time sideman, Lou Pallo, Thank You Les captures the vibe of the of the infamous “Les Paul Mondays” which took place weekly for nearly thirty years in a small NYC jazz club. The analog recording and film brings forth an extraordinary cast of Paul admirers including Keith Richards, Steve Miller, Slash, José Feliciano, Bucky Pizzarelli, Billy Gibbons (ZZ Top), Eddie Brigati (The Rascals), and more. The documentary, recently broadcast on PBS, takes viewers inside the live recording sessions and covers interviews with the artists who worked closest with and were influenced by Les Paul, shedding light on his innovative genius and Vaudevillian sense of humor.

http://thankyoules.com/

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
Re: Thank You Les
« Reply #1 on: 16 Aug 2013, 10:48 pm »
Thanks for the tip jhm, will definitely check it out. Amazing artist in many arenas.  8)

dB Cooper

Re: Thank You Les
« Reply #2 on: 17 Aug 2013, 03:53 am »
It pissed me off when Les passed and iTunes paid him no note. Granted, his heyday was years past, but they gave banners to druggies Whitney Houston and Amy Winehouse, pedophile Michael Jackson, and that country star who croaked recently. Even Ray Manzarek of the Doors got a banner, and he hadn't exactly been high profile for about forty years either. And Les Paul, who did more to change the way we all listen to all our music than almost anybody you could name? Not a peep, so I am glad anytime he gets noticed.

I saw Les at the Guitar Congress in Towson MD in about '04. He was ancient, and his arthritis-riddled hands weren't what they once used to be, but still there were flashes of the old fire and I'm glad I saw him.