Herbie's Tube Damping Instruments are the real deal!

TheChairGuy

Re: Herbie's Tube Damping Instruments are the real deal!
« Reply #20 on: 29 Mar 2009, 02:50 am »
John,

Why don't you try the Mortite on your signal tubes? You would than have a  Herbies/Mortite shootout. 8)

-Roy

I did a long time ago (3+ years) RajaRoy....the two together didn't provide any accretive benefit and each one had about the same affect.  But, I bought the Herbie's already so I use them on the small signal tubes instead of the Mortite/Dennis rope caulk.

John

rydenfan

« Reply #21 on: 29 Mar 2009, 03:30 am »
Congrats on your Cats  :thumb: A true Big East battle

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #22 on: 29 Mar 2009, 03:48 am »
That was a great game! :thumb: Take no prisoners, sacrifice your body and leave it all on the court.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #23 on: 29 Mar 2009, 10:36 am »
Oh Goody!  Gonna get me some right away.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #24 on: 3 Apr 2009, 03:42 pm »
Thanks Guys:

I just placed an order for 5 UltraSonic 25's and one UltraSonic 70.  Also thanks to Ted_B for the recommendation of the UltraSonic 70 with hard pads for the EML 5U4G used in my ModWright Transporter.

Ken

After placing this post last night Ted and George let me know that I need the UltraSonic 30's for the 6SN7 tubes I use in the Transporter.  Thus, I contacted Herbie and changed my order to the 30's.  Thanks again guys and I look forward to receiving them.

Ken

Ken,

Did you receive your order?

Any thoughts or comments?

George

Dan_ed

« Reply #25 on: 3 Apr 2009, 04:08 pm »
Yes, the Herbies are great. I've been using them for several years.

I would suggest experimenting with each tube in one's system. I started with the shotgun approach and put the dampers on every tube in my system. Later I found out that some tubes seem to sound better without them. So I suggest experimenting. I've found that some tubes even like two dampers on them.

funkmonkey

« Reply #26 on: 3 Apr 2009, 05:38 pm »
placed my order yesterday for all three MW-Transporter tubes, if they work out I will eventually order another three for the tubes in my LS-36.5.  Have any of you tried damping the tubes in a 36.5?

Bigfish

« Reply #27 on: 3 Apr 2009, 08:44 pm »
Thanks Guys:

I just placed an order for 5 UltraSonic 25's and one UltraSonic 70.  Also thanks to Ted_B for the recommendation of the UltraSonic 70 with hard pads for the EML 5U4G used in my ModWright Transporter.

Ken

After placing this post last night Ted and George let me know that I need the UltraSonic 30's for the 6SN7 tubes I use in the Transporter.  Thus, I contacted Herbie and changed my order to the 30's.  Thanks again guys and I look forward to receiving them.

Ken

Ken,

George

George:

Yes, they arrived on Monday and I immediately installed them.  I listened to the system for approximately 4 hours and had to leave home for business travel.  Honestly, I was surprised as there was a definite change in the sound.  There was more detail and a more distinct quality to the sound.  For roughly $60.00 it is a no brainer investment and I talked Philistine into ordering them for his Transporter.

Thanks again for publishing your comments about the Herbies and for Ted and you providing the correct sizing information.

Ken

PS.  I would also like to add that Steve (Herbie) is a great guy to deal with and ships immediately!

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #28 on: 3 Apr 2009, 09:12 pm »

George:

Yes, they arrived on Monday and I immediately installed them.  I listened to the system for approximately 4 hours and had to leave home for business travel.  Honestly, I was surprised as there was a definite change in the sound.  There was more detail and a more distinct quality to the sound.  For roughly $60.00 it is a no brainer investment and I talked Philistine into ordering them for his Transporter.

Thanks again for publishing your comments about the Herbies and for Ted and you providing the correct sizing information.

Ken

PS.  I would also like to add that Steve (Herbie) is a great guy to deal with and ships immediately!

Ken,

Glad it worked out for you.

Sounds like your experience was very similar to the rest of us.

George

Philistine

« Reply #29 on: 3 Apr 2009, 11:28 pm »
Thanks Guys:

Ken

Ken

Ken,

George

George:

Ken

Yes, Ken beat me into submission :bowdown:
Mine arrived today and they've tightened things up (sound wise), much much better than the teflon ones.

It's also worth the $60 dealing with Herbie (Steve) just to experience someone who knows about great customer service :thumb:.

Listens2tubes

« Reply #30 on: 4 Apr 2009, 01:14 am »
:duh: You guys are killin me. Reading this I had to order 4 of the Ultrasonic 9's for my Van Alstine Transcendence Eight Preamp. I already have silicone rings on the 12AX and AT7 pairs so we'll see how much of difference can be heard in a week or so when they arrive. More soon. aa

markC

« Reply #31 on: 4 Apr 2009, 02:44 am »
Yes, please share your thoughts. I'm using 4 pair of the older silicone version. It looks like the new Ultrasonics would be easier to install in tight spaces as well.

Listens2tubes

« Reply #32 on: 10 Apr 2009, 03:32 am »
Herbie's arrived, but one of the amps needs a new quad cap. So I took a ride to Dynakit and bought a pair of 80-40-30-20 cans from Kevin. Will get them installed soon and be back on the case. If time permits I'll change the octal power tube sockets at the same time. Just a lot of holiday/family stuff going on these days.

turkey

« Reply #33 on: 10 Apr 2009, 01:37 pm »
I would think that, assuming tube damping is actually worthwhile, doing something like applying RTV silicone to the tube (perhaps in a ring around the middle) would be the best bet. You'd just have to make sure it could stand up to the high temperatures, but I've seen silicone for automotive use that should do the trick.

turkey

« Reply #34 on: 10 Apr 2009, 03:20 pm »
I would think that, assuming tube damping is actually worthwhile, doing something like applying RTV silicone to the tube (perhaps in a ring around the middle) would be the best bet. You'd just have to make sure it could stand up to the high temperatures, but I've seen silicone for automotive use that should do the trick.

A quick search finds some RTV that will stand up to 700 degrees F.

http://www.permatex.com/products/Automotive/automotive_gasketing/gasket_makers/auto_Permatex_Ultra_Copper_Maximum_Temperature_RTV_Silicone_Gasket_Maker.htm

TheChairGuy

« Reply #35 on: 10 Apr 2009, 04:00 pm »

Less permanent would be Mortite or Dennis brand rope caulk.  A $5 package will probably treat 3000 tubes  8)

I've not tried a bead around the middle, but a dime sized 'tophat' works fine with all tubes tried (voltage regulators, output, input and rectifiers).  My tubes seems to last for quite a while with the dime sized hat on top....perhaps I should try a middle band in the future  :scratch:

John

turkey

« Reply #36 on: 10 Apr 2009, 04:18 pm »

Less permanent would be Mortite or Dennis brand rope caulk.  A $5 package will probably treat 3000 tubes  8)

If it works, you wouldn't want to remove it anyway.

I was also figuring that you would want a good bond with the glass for the best damping.

Mortite is not quite elastic enough IMO. It permanently deforms and thus will not absorb repeated movement as well as something more elastic. Also, how does it hold up to the heat?

TheChairGuy

« Reply #37 on: 10 Apr 2009, 06:53 pm »

If it works, you wouldn't want to remove it anyway.

I was also figuring that you would want a good bond with the glass for the best damping.

Mortite is not quite elastic enough IMO. It permanently deforms and thus will not absorb repeated movement as well as something more elastic. Also, how does it hold up to the heat?

It works great and leaves only a little sticky residue on the tube if you pull it off....which can be cleaned off easily with lighter fluid, Un-Du or GooGone :)

The only time I've removed it has been to test them with and without the rope caulk on it....each time the rope caulked tube wins.

As I mentioned a little earlier in the topic, I own the Herbie's dampers and they work great, too (only at 1000x more expensive then rope caulk).

Don't use modeling clay tho.....I think there is some plastic compound in those (which is why is more malleable) and I don't think it would stand a chance against tube heat.

John

turkey

« Reply #38 on: 10 Apr 2009, 07:13 pm »

Don't use modeling clay tho.....I think there is some plastic compound in those (which is why is more malleable) and I don't think it would stand a chance against tube heat.

Stick some in the microwave sometime. It turns to liquid. :)

jimdgoulding

« Reply #39 on: 13 Apr 2009, 02:57 pm »
Replaced some sorbathane rings around my pre amp tubes with Herbie's.  At first, I thought it was more of the same, maybe a tad better separation in the soundscape.  Putzing around later, I found that my right speaker was very slightly further away from the side wall and nearer to the virtual center than my left speaker.  I measure this stuff out so I was suprised that I had done this.  I corrected it.  We all know that our room is a part of our reproductive system and we treat surfaces and whatnots to make our room less invasive.  Let me suggest that you re-measure the distances from your speaks to your side and back walls and that the measurements be EXACT!  The Herbie's are doing well.  Best device of it's kind I have tried.  You know, yer not supposed to be elated every time you sit and listen.  Life just isn't that fair.  You're suppose to be thinking about what you could do to make things better.  Well, speaker placement is free and you got to get that right before yer gonna get the most value out of anything else you have or may have.  I think I must be lucky.  Must be a synergistic thing with the size of my speaks and the dimensions of my room.  And a tape measure has become my new (old) best friend.  Next thing for me is a Grant Fidelity power conditioner and cable.  Should be here tomorrow.  Life is good at my house.  Pulled out Lhasa's The Living Road last night.  Her voice on this is perfectly centered and forward but there was a little irritation to sibilants.  Not any more.  Her voice is smooth and balanced now and demo quality.  Herbie has to be having a hand in that.