Time to get my Odyssey Monoblocks recapped?

Chazz

Time to get my Odyssey Monoblocks recapped?
« on: 13 May 2017, 07:45 am »
Ok...I've been an Odyssey customer for a very long time.  I was one of Klaus' first Australian customers.  I shipped the amps all the way from Sydney to Hong Kong to Sydney to Brisbane and then back to Sydney.  I've changed every one of my gear during that time except my Odyssey Amps (Mono block extremes). 

Klaus will have my exact date of purchase but from memory they are now over 15 years old.  Just in the last few months I've noticed that the sound in both speakers drop out from time to time or become scratchy.  I've tested the whole system and used a replacement amp from my second system and confirmed that it is my amps.  It does not happen all the time.  It is only intermittent.  When it drops out/scratchy if I raise the volume up and down - it goes away.  I've taken it to a technician here and he gave it a clean bill of health, but it is still happening from time to time.  :scratch:  I've also replaced all the fuses in both monoblocks. 

Being OCD - I want my system to be perfect.  Everytime.  :lol:  I am thinking now that perhaps the solution is to get a technician here to recap both amplifiers?  It's going to be too expensive to ship them back to Klaus. 

Thoughts?  Has anyone recapped their Odyssey gear before?  How much did it cost?

srb

Re: Time to get my Odyssey Monoblocks recapped?
« Reply #1 on: 13 May 2017, 12:51 pm »
....BUT  I still recommend a cap "oil change" kind of deal every 7-10 years for normal use,  with the amps being on all the time................

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=127915.msg1349885#msg1349885

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 13 May 2017, 02:15 pm »
While not a bad idea to recap it, I think you have a connection issue. "Crank it up to get it on" is the kicker, and you likely have a dirty speaker relay.

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #3 on: 13 May 2017, 04:02 pm »
no matter what, re-capping is pretty much a must,  or we can get new SE  or Kismet boards out to AU....really easy to exchange, and I'd set them up for you here on the bias...call me........

Chazz

« Reply #4 on: 14 May 2017, 12:19 pm »
Hi Klaus,

I will give you a call.  Great to see that you are still in business and going strong after all these years (although you still haven't had the time to update your website I see!).

Given the time difference do you prefer calls early in the morning or late at night (if I remember correctly you were a night owl)?

Regards,
Charles