A Gibson for some Heavy Metal...

HAL

• Industry Contributor
Re: A Gibson for some Heavy Metal...
« Reply #60 on: 27 Jun 2012, 06:02 pm »
Here are the bridge pickup and new guitar cable for the setup.  Half way to the pickups needed.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #61 on: 2 Jul 2012, 08:08 pm »
Just picked up one of these myself!  My (fairly) local Guitar Center just got one in used and I snatched it up!  It's in the fairly rare natural mahogony finish and I think it looks great.  Plays great too!

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #62 on: 2 Jul 2012, 08:22 pm »
Looking good!  The natural mahogany is a cool color! :D

If you do a YouTube video post a link in the thread.  Lets see if we can get a few SG video's posted along the way.  Working on another one soon.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #63 on: 4 Jul 2012, 02:07 am »
Found this while looking at new pickups.

This is a Joe Barden Engineering JBE P-90 soapbar.  Dual rail humbucker for a P-90 soapbar mount.

Looks similar to the bridge pickup in Tony Iommi's Old Boy #1 JayDee guitar without the stainless steel cover. 

eclein

• Facilitator
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #64 on: 5 Jul 2012, 12:24 pm »
Ericus NICE SG!!!! The finish would have had me immediately also and I don't even play guitar....LOL. I almost bought some Gretsch drums way back with a similar finish and really wish I did sometimes as they were gorgeous. Too nice to gig with....a home only set that's why I had to pass I just couldn't take artistry out like that and let people toss it around.
 Wood crafting is something I really wish I would've pursued....I still have time.....anyway Nice, Nice!!

SlushPuppy

« Reply #65 on: 5 Jul 2012, 12:41 pm »
Just picked up one of these myself!  My (fairly) local Guitar Center just got one in used and I snatched it up!  It's in the fairly rare natural mahogony finish and I think it looks great.  Plays great too!

Nice  :thumb:

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #66 on: 6 Jul 2012, 03:35 am »
Ok, here is a little ditty that my band The Reistors wrote back in the mid 1970's, called Bulldozer.  Have fun with some light listening. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mdk3I042UI&feature=plcp

Same guitar setup as before, just using the bridge pickup instead of the neck.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #67 on: 12 Jul 2012, 02:17 am »
Since I cannot seem to order a John Birch style 9 Pole Simplux pickup, going to try and create something DIY to try for the SG Special neck position.  It is called a Sidewinder style humbucking pickup that sounds like a single pole pickup.  The design has been around since 1972 as far as I can find.  Here is a mockup of what it will look like inside the cover.

If this one works, will try building a 6 pole version for the bridge position so they are matching styles.  They are mini-humbucker size vs the P-90 size. 

Waiting on a quote for Arnokrome 3 magnets for these.

Will see what happens!

pjchappy

« Reply #68 on: 12 Jul 2012, 02:36 am »
Will see what happens!

Make sure you post your impressions! :thumb:

Paul

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #69 on: 16 Jul 2012, 02:29 am »
Ok, some of the pickup parts to get some ideas arrived.  Here are mockups of three styles of pickups.  Might look familiar. :)

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #70 on: 16 Jul 2012, 02:30 am »
Make sure you post your impressions! :thumb:

Paul
Paul,
I plan to make some new video's when I get the 9 pole HB working.  Will give some before and after comparisons if I am careful with the setup. 

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #71 on: 16 Jul 2012, 02:33 am »
Ok, here is a little ditty that my band The Reistors wrote back in the mid 1970's,

Can we have your autograph?

Any leftover albums to give away?

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #72 on: 16 Jul 2012, 02:40 am »
We never made an album.  No money at the time.  It was hard to get folks to listen to the style of music we did at the time.  Kinda punk metal.  Oh well, it was fun to do!  :D

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #73 on: 28 Jul 2012, 02:37 am »
Last weekend, got to play a friends copies of a JayDee Old Boy #1 tuned to D# and Monkey copy with a 9 Pole Simplux pickup tuned to C#!  I have played the holy grails! :)

The action on both guitars was wonderful.  This is now a mission to replicate Monkey tuned to C# with as close to a 9 pole Simplux as I can make!

WOOHOO! 

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #74 on: 30 Jul 2012, 01:57 am »
Ok, here is Lindy Fralin P90 hum cancelling bridge pickup.  Will compare this to the Seymour Duncan STK-P1 and see which one works well for C# tuning.  The SD is supposed to be similar in construction to the original 9 Pole Simplux.  The question is the magnetic pull on the strings when you are using a 9-42 gauge set tuned to C#.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #75 on: 6 Aug 2012, 02:25 am »
Uh oh!  The cloning process has begun!  They are multiplying!  :o

Needs Monkeyfication!  :D

Delta Wave

« Reply #76 on: 6 Aug 2012, 04:51 am »
Very, very cool man.  :thumb: I've always been rather fond of DiMarzio Pro HB's, they're super hot and absolutely scream.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #77 on: 9 Aug 2012, 12:32 am »
Delta Wave,
Thanks! 

This one is getting a set of the Lindy Fraling P90 hum-cancelling pickups, along with other mods.  A person I know just built a new guitar for Tony.  When he gets done with my SG, it should look like a right handed version of this one:

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #78 on: 18 Aug 2012, 05:41 pm »
More on the saga of C# tuning for the SG Special.

I put on a set of 10-46 guage stainless steel strings like Tony used back in the 1970's.  They are Xaviere brand from Guitar Fetish.  No problem tuning the guitar down to C# standard or C standard, but the intonation is way off.  Tried setting it for C#, but the low E string and A string saddles will not go back far enough to set it correctly. 

The original C#  gauge set was 9p,10p,12p,20w,32w and 42w strings. 

From the research and interviews, getting the tuning correct and stable was one of the big issues with the guitar.  It was eventually solved with a Leo Quan style Bad Ass bridge instead of the stop bar and tuneomatic bridge combo. 

Will go back to the first SG with the D# gauge set 8p,8p,11p,18w, 24w and 32w and set the intonation as it now needs it.  This should work with the stock tuneomatic.

I know that most folks put larger gauge strings on for lower tunings, but going to give the original method a try.  This is actually fun!  :D

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #79 on: 18 Aug 2012, 08:17 pm »
Set the first SG Special up for D# standard tuning and everything is working great!  First time I have setup intonation myself and with a good.tuner was very easy.

There might be a way to reverse the saddle in the tuneomatic bridge to get a little more.adjustment range.  Problem is this is the Nashville style bridge without the retaining clips.  This is going to be interesting.