New name plate

jsalk

New name plate
« on: 14 Jul 2007, 01:58 pm »
Every so often people have suggested that we make up nameplates to affix to our custom speakers.  Well, we finally bit the bullet and had some fabricated.  Here is a picture...

These plates are milled from 3/8" billet aluminum. 

We debated as to the best way to attach the plates.  Then Rick Berner, the gentleman who supplies the plates, suggested what we thought was a unique mounting technique.  There are two tapped holes on the rear of the nameplate to accept two set screws.  Two small holes are drilled in the front of the speaker.  The holes are filled with 5-minute epoxy and the plate with the set screws is placed in position.  When the epoxy cures, it holds the screws in place and since they can no longer turn, the nameplate is held permanently in place.

We will probably have some of these plates anodized black as well.

Nice job Rick!

- Jim

« Last Edit: 14 Jul 2007, 02:35 pm by jsalk »

Wayner

Re: New name plate
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jul 2007, 02:02 pm »
Nice name plate. Ever thought of filing in the recess with black, to stand out a little more? It is free advertising after all...nice to have an identifing symbol on your product anyway!

Wayner

jsalk

« Reply #2 on: 14 Jul 2007, 02:06 pm »
[Wayner -

quote author=Wayner link=topic=43111.msg385322#msg385322 date=1184421761]
Nice name plate. Ever thought of filing in the recess with black, to stand out a little more? It is free advertising after all...nice to have an identifing symbol on your product anyway!

Wayner
[/quote]

Yes, we consdiered that and may try a couple of experiments on a few plates.  But we tend to like things a little more on the subtle side as we don't want to draw attention from the speakers themselves. 

- Jim

NL20

« Reply #3 on: 14 Jul 2007, 02:17 pm »
Very nice touch.. I really like them..  :thumb:

-Nick

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
« Reply #4 on: 14 Jul 2007, 02:43 pm »
you might also want to try gold as the fill in color.

Wayner

« Reply #5 on: 14 Jul 2007, 03:37 pm »
Just one more note, are they anodized? Aluminum tends to form Aluminum Oxide and tarnish when the surface is unprotected. The positive side is that the name plate will be in a more friendly atmosphere (not outdoors). I like it regardless of my suggestions!  :D

W

zoestanley

« Reply #6 on: 14 Jul 2007, 11:56 pm »
jim, will every set of ht3's have the nameplate?  just curious as mine will be coming soon!  i like it by the way.

jsalk

« Reply #7 on: 15 Jul 2007, 01:30 am »
zoestanley -

jim, will every set of ht3's have the nameplate?  just curious as mine will be coming soon!  i like it by the way.

Yes, they will all have nameplates.

- Jim