HT1 = HT use

NL20

HT1 = HT use
« on: 6 Jul 2007, 11:07 am »
I'm just stabbing at the idea that a single pair of HT1's will provide a fantastic HT experience. Although they are out of my price range, I CANNOT get enough of the finishes, and have re-considered. I will be doing a small 2.1 HT since my room is only 14x10x8 and adding some acoustic paneling.

I have made a stand on the AV123 Rocket line, specifically the RS850's. $2,000 is stretching it, but from the members over at AV123 say the additional $500 over the 760's is worth every penny.

http://www.av123.com/products_product.php?section=speakers&product=50.1

So I'm curious as to how well HT1's do in a dominate HT environment. I'm talking 70/30 to 80/20 %'s. Are the HT1's better in a music setup over a HT setup?

Thanks for your time,

-Nick

Big Red Machine

Re: HT1 = HT use
« Reply #1 on: 6 Jul 2007, 11:17 am »
I have owned the 850's, the first pair of 850 Sigs also, btw, were publicly debuted by me, as well as the Bigfoot Sig version.  A very nice speaker for the money and an even better value if you pick up B stock.

Anything Jim offers will have better quality drivers and will image better and have tons more detail to them in an effortless presentation.  If you can be patient and build a system over time, the quality of Jim's speakers are far better and worth the extra cash if sound is very high on your list.  Some folks trade sound for video when budgeting their HT's.  So it is entirely up to you how to spend your dollars.

I replaced 850's and the Bigfoot with Jim's new V series.  The detail and sense of involvement has never been better.

NL20

« Reply #2 on: 6 Jul 2007, 11:33 am »
Thanks for the reply Big Red.  :D

Well, I am going to get a pair of $300 Polk floor standers to give me some sound until I save up the cash to get myself a pair of nice speakers. (I just turned 20, but I'm self employed..)

Now I just need to find a pair locally so I can hear for myself...

One general question though: I like the value of "B" stocked Parasound Halo A23 amp, would this be sufficient enough to drive a pair of HT1's? I understand this gets asked a lot, but I don't have an additional $1,000+ to spend on an amp... at the moment.

http://www.parasound.com/halo/a23.php

Of course, like all of us, I need a foundation, as I'm new to HT. This will be my first amp, and I will likely upgrade to a little higher end amp in the future. But for $600, I believe it's a good buy.

-Nick

jsalk

« Reply #3 on: 6 Jul 2007, 11:56 am »
Nick -

One general question though: I like the value of "B" stocked Parasound Halo A23 amp, would this be sufficient enough to drive a pair of HT1's? I understand this gets asked a lot, but I don't have an additional $1,000+ to spend on an amp... at the moment.

You should not have any issues driving the HT1's with this amp.

- Jim

NL20

« Reply #4 on: 6 Jul 2007, 12:15 pm »
Good to know.. Thanks Jim.

-Nick

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #5 on: 6 Jul 2007, 01:34 pm »
If I could just pick up on one point, since it surfaces frequently.  Although HT theater sound tracks do tend to run bright, and that could call for some adjustment in either speaker voicing or (preferably) equalization, including plain old tone controls, a speaker that is properly engineered for  music will do just as well in HT.  Proper driver integration and parts quality are necessary for first class sound in either application.  So I wouldn't rule speakers in or out simply because you're considering them primarily for HT.

NL20

« Reply #6 on: 6 Jul 2007, 01:57 pm »
Thanks for your comments Murphy.  :thumb:

NL20

« Reply #7 on: 6 Jul 2007, 02:21 pm »
Last question, I promise...  :oops:

Generally, what are some good cable companys out there for the HT1?

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #8 on: 6 Jul 2007, 11:08 pm »
Well, without playing the "all cables and wires sound alike" card, I think it's a safe bet that you should save all those scarce dollars for speakers.  I certainly do. 

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #9 on: 6 Jul 2007, 11:15 pm »
Last question, I promise...  :oops:

Generally, what are some good cable companys out there for the HT1?

If you want some good sounding cables at reasonable prices ($250/8'), try Gregg Straley's Reality cables:

http://www.realitycables.com/

I used Gregg's speaker cables with my HT3's and they worked very well.

George

Philistine

« Reply #10 on: 7 Jul 2007, 12:54 am »
I agree with George:
After trying various branded cables over a two month period - including Stereophile A rated - Gregg's Reality cables came out tops with my HT3's.  Great price/performance ratio.

gthomas

« Reply #11 on: 7 Jul 2007, 01:29 pm »
Say NL20, where do you live?  Maybe someone here on the forum can offer you a listening session.  I would save money until you can buy the HT1s, you won't regret the wait.

gthomas

NL20

« Reply #12 on: 8 Jul 2007, 04:57 am »
Say NL20, where do you live?  Maybe someone here on the forum can offer you a listening session.  I would save money until you can buy the HT1s, you won't regret the wait.

gthomas

Orlando, FL area. I am defiantly saving up the additional funds and will go 2.0 for a little while until I can get my hands on either a sub from Jim, JL, or SVS.

Thanks Thomas..

-Nick

gthomas

« Reply #13 on: 8 Jul 2007, 06:16 am »
I feel blessed, I not only have Jims speakers, but a pair of JL Audio subs.

gthomas

NL20

« Reply #14 on: 10 Jul 2007, 09:26 am »
By putting these speakers, and likely the HTS sub from Jim, in a 13x10x8, would that be enough room for them to operate efficiently? Also, what's the recommended spacing from the wall, and from speaker to speaker?

Thanks,

-Nick

mpd

« Reply #15 on: 13 Jul 2007, 10:37 pm »
My home theater system is anchored around an HT1/HTS and HTC speaker setup (the four surround speakers are in-ceiling Triads).  Jim and I co-created what he now calls the HTS subwoofer.  I originally started out with only the HT1, thinking that I would later add a single, separate subwoofer.  I later decided that I also wanted a good-full-range system for 2-channel listening and drew up plans for Jim for a sealed subwoofer using a 12" TC Sounds driver. The advantage of this approach is that I get great, bass effects for HT (my room is 20x22x9) as well as tight, 2-channel bass for more critical listening.  The HTS module serves as a stand for the HT1.  I use an external electronic crossover that both splits the highs and lows to the HT1s and HTS, respectively.  This same crossover has an LFE input (from my HT receiver) that I can add into the 2 bass channels.  I amplify the HTS subs with a Crown K-1 amplifier and equalize same with a Behringer DEQ2496.  Overall, I am very very happy with this arrangement.  I think I get HT3 or better performance this way, with the added advantage of bass mode equalization and a ton of power from the Crown amp.

I would not be concerned about your room being too small. Physically, the HT1/HTS combination has a fairly small footprint.  And the minimum space required behind the vented HT1s is less of a concern because the equalizer rolls off (for my system) at 100Hz.  The ports in vented system are most active in the lower octaves so backing them closer to the wall isn't a problem because their output is highly rolled off (I use an 36dB/octave slope in my crossover).  This, of course, ignores any consideration of speaker placement driven by room modes...

I would be happy to post a picture of the HT1/HTS speaker combination but, alas, I cannot for the life of me figure out how to upload a damn photo.

jsalk

« Reply #16 on: 14 Jul 2007, 01:10 am »
mpd -

I would be happy to post a picture of the HT1/HTS speaker combination but, alas, I cannot for the life of me figure out how to upload a damn photo.

You first have to post the pictures somewhere on the internet so you can link to them.  If you want to email the pics to me, I will post them for you.

- Jim

mpd

« Reply #17 on: 14 Jul 2007, 02:35 am »
Jim,

Thanks.  I just emailed a couple of pics to you.

Mike

jsalk

« Reply #18 on: 14 Jul 2007, 03:30 am »
Mike -

Here they are...

There you go...

- Jim

NL20

« Reply #19 on: 14 Jul 2007, 02:20 pm »
Thanks for the pic's, I appreciate it.