new pre? moscode 401 - ht3's

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
new pre? moscode 401 - ht3's
« on: 19 Apr 2007, 02:21 am »
I recently purchased a Moscode 401 hr which sounds fabulous with my HT3's, really brought things to a new level. I am currently running cheater plugs to go from my ARC LS 5 mkii preamp to the moscode

looking to possibly go with a new preamp
the LS 5 is very revealing, tonally balanced, engaging etc
but it's a 10 year old design and balanced only and the Moscode is single ended

any recommendations to synergize with the Moscode and Salks?
I listen to a wide range of music in a 15 by 27 room (speakers on long wall)

bat? callisto?  a room adjusting pre like the tact?

the arc is a great piece so I really want to make a viable step up soundwise

thanks
Tom

gongos

Re: new pre? moscode 401 - ht3's
« Reply #1 on: 19 Apr 2007, 02:39 am »
Dodd

nicksgem10s

« Reply #2 on: 19 Apr 2007, 02:52 am »
Hello audiotom,

I just joined the HT3 club last week.  What an incredible speaker Jim is building.

I had the pleasure of hearing the HT3 with 3 different amps, one of them being the Moscode. 

The only preamp that was in the system was the Audio by Van Alstine Ultra SL hybrid.  Please be open minded and do not judge this book by its cover or its price. 

I have to tell you I have heard a lot of equipment over the last 5 years and have learned the hard lesson that higher price does not always mean higher performance.

The AVA Ultra SL preamp is amazing.  I have no affiliation with Frank Van Alstine but may be ordering one myself in the near future.  I understand he just recently made changes in the tube circuit of this preamp.  I have never heard any previous version of it but can tell you it is an incredible preamp.  If you can deal with its plain looks and modest price tag you may have just what you are looking for. 

I am running Vinnie (Red Wine Audio) Signature 70 monoblocks with my cd player direct to my HT3 and loving every minute of it.  I did have a chance to use my Sig 70 monoblocks with the Ultra SL preamp and the additional gain (20 db I believe) was welcome and really allowed my Sig 70s to shine with the HT3 speakers.

I look forward to seeing what preamp you go with and the result.  That is a very nice looking and more importantly sounding amp.  Great choice on the speakers :thumb:

JoshK

« Reply #3 on: 19 Apr 2007, 02:53 am »
What is the input sensitivity of the Moscode, do you even need gain? Most likely you don't.  A TVC or Autoformer preamp might be the ticket.

arthurs

« Reply #4 on: 19 Apr 2007, 03:20 am »
VAC with the Moscode and HT3 sounded pretty incredible when we had them together at my place a few months back....

brj

« Reply #5 on: 19 Apr 2007, 05:27 am »
I'll second Art's comment.  His combination of the VAC with the Moscode in an exceptionally well treated room is really something special.  It has been a few months since we hooked up the HT3s, but as I recall, we both commented on hearing sonic "features" that we hadn't heard before.

That said, I have been curious to hear a source directly connected to a Moscode.  I would guess that a large percentage of sources put out enough voltage to drive the Moscode full range.  Doesn't the stock tube set for the 401H provide 30V of gain, with 33 or 36V possible with certain tubes?

audiotom

• for everything music
« Reply #6 on: 19 Apr 2007, 11:04 am »
thanks for the responses so far

as for preamp less - I am running cd (audio aero prima - can go balanced or single ended)
phono (zyx artisian to a soon galibier gavia / zyx universe) and dvd
so not sure straight to amp would work in my setting

thanks
Tom

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #7 on: 19 Apr 2007, 11:05 am »
I'll second Art's comment.  His combination of the VAC with the Moscode in an exceptionally well treated room is really something special.  It has been a few months since we hooked up the HT3s, but as I recall, we both commented on hearing sonic "features" that we hadn't heard before.

That said, I have been curious to hear a source directly connected to a Moscode.  I would guess that a large percentage of sources put out enough voltage to drive the Moscode full range.  Doesn't the stock tube set for the 401H provide 30V of gain, with 33 or 36V possible with certain tubes?

I run my Bolder Cable modified SB2 (analog mods) directly into the Moscode and it works very well.

However, things sounded even better when I had Wayne's Burson Buffer in the chain.  I am not sure if this is because of the extra gain, the buffering, or both.

Depending on room size, how loud you listen, source voltage, etc...you may or may not want to add in active device into your audio chain.

George

G2moscode

« Reply #8 on: 19 Apr 2007, 04:16 pm »
We have used the Placette passive ($1000) with the Moscode 401HR
and obtained excellent sound. Most sources will give you 2v out and
that is enough to drive the 401. With a passive controller, just make sure
that the cable runs are very short going into the amp.

I just found this review...http://www.10audio.com/dodd_battery_pre.htm

Happy Listening.

Gage Rommel
Moscode, Inc.
« Last Edit: 19 Apr 2007, 04:33 pm by G2moscode »

audiotom

• for everything music
« Reply #9 on: 20 Apr 2007, 02:05 pm »
wow

the dodd looks very interesting

researched it on audiogon and audiocircle

nice price as well

Tom

TomS

« Reply #10 on: 20 Apr 2007, 02:10 pm »
wow

the dodd looks very interesting

researched it on audiogon and audiocircle

nice price as well

Tom

I believe Danny Ritchie posted recently in the GR circle that Gary had a demo battery preamp available.  You might give him a call as they are hard to find for sale new or used.  Tom

arthurs

« Reply #11 on: 20 Apr 2007, 02:12 pm »

Big Red Machine

« Reply #12 on: 20 Apr 2007, 11:09 pm »
I have prepaid for a Dodd in Rosewood that I will be selling.  Now whenever the unit shows up is another issue. :(

audiotom

• for everything music
« Reply #13 on: 21 Apr 2007, 12:35 am »
Big Red - tempting but I already sprung for a leopard wood finish direct from Gary

don't know how I did this but timing is everything

did you decide to go multi channel instead for a preamp?

When this and my new turntable arrive I hope to join you as I'll submit my sytem to George for the Moscode website (nice to see another pair of salks with moscode - match made in heaven)

tom

audiotom

• for everything music
« Reply #14 on: 23 Apr 2007, 01:11 pm »
so I guess Salk is overpriced too
where else do you get bubinga?

I like to buy direct from manufacturs and avoid the senseless mark up of audio gear

Dodd fit the bill just as SAlk, Galibier, SRA and ZYX have for me

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #15 on: 23 Apr 2007, 01:53 pm »
For me and my budget I wouldn't spend twice as much on a preamp unless it sounded twice as good - same as with speakers. $1500 buys a lot of CDs.

You should not have bought AVA by your own standards then.
You could have bought a Parasound or equivalent for half the price of AVA, becuase the AVA does not sound "twice as good".

Lin

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
« Reply #16 on: 23 Apr 2007, 04:38 pm »
I'm sure the Dodd is nice, and looks nice, but it also looks to be twice as expensive, and I would bet that a lot of what you're paying for has not much to do with the actual sound (as with most audio components).

I have had experiences with a lot of different electronics and have listened to a lot of pre-amps. The battery powered Dodd pre-amp is the best I have ever heard even with cost as no object. The fact that it is only $3,300 makes it a bargain and it looks great too. Good luck finding anything to beat it in performance with any amount of money, let alone $3,300.

I have prepaid for a Dodd in Rosewood that I will be selling.  Now whenever the unit shows up is another issue.

Bummer, you must have ordered it from Walter. Walter order 20 pre-amps back in November or December. I think they have been ready since January (all of them), but are awaiting wood that has been promised from Colombia. The lower cost of the high gloss finished wood work from Colombia made that deal happen, but the company in Colombia has yet to deliver.

I love mine.

miklorsmith

« Reply #17 on: 23 Apr 2007, 05:37 pm »
The question of perceived value is an interesting one every time it comes up.  However, the question asked was relating specifically to a preamp upgrade in a particular system.

TomS

« Reply #18 on: 23 Apr 2007, 06:22 pm »
Basic value math for me = as Grandma always said "Do you like it more than your money?".  Of course it's different for each of us.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #19 on: 23 Apr 2007, 07:33 pm »
If you have not heard a component's sound, then it's impossible to know you can get the same sound for a lot less. You have no basis on which to make a comparison of the Moscode and the VA amp, or any other amplifier you haven't heard. 

You're argument is without foundation.

Yo. I never argued that a Van Alstine amp sounds better than a Moscode, as I have no opinion on that. I said I was aware of "the kind of sound I could get for a lot less" than the expensive systems I have in fact heard. Which makes me less than curious about an amp that costs more than my current preamp and amp combined.

I hope to have a AVA 550 Ultra EX amp in my possession soon and will be able to directly compare it to the Moscode.

George