Exotic furniture woodworking

carusoracer

Exotic furniture woodworking
« on: 14 Mar 2007, 01:43 pm »
I'm sure others have thought about this but I have not seen any threads.

With all the great exotic finishes and beautiful speakers that Jim has put out,has anyone thought about trying to have matching or furniture pieces made?

I would luv to have a handmade coffee and end tables in some of these pictures done at a reasonable cost in my living room :drool:

If someone can put me in touch with wood craftsman who utilize veneer that would be great.

Thanks for looking.
« Last Edit: 14 Mar 2007, 05:05 pm by carusoracer »

jsalk

Re: Exotic furniture woodworking
« Reply #1 on: 14 Mar 2007, 05:39 pm »
Mark -

I'm sure others have thought about this but I have not seen any threads.

With all the great exotic finishes and beautiful speakers that Jim has put out,has anyone thought about trying to have matching or furniture pieces made?

I would luv to have a handmade coffee and end tables in some of these pictures done at a reasonable cost in my living room :drool:

If someone can put me in touch with wood craftsman who utilize veneer that would be great.

Thanks for looking.

There is a high-end furniture designer/builder in my building that can do just that.  In fact, he gave me a hand in designing a new speaker that we will be building in the near future.  He can do virtually anyting.

Custom furniture is not necessarily inexpensive.  But I would love to work with him on projects such as this since we already work together very well.

- Jim

carusoracer

« Reply #2 on: 14 Mar 2007, 06:30 pm »
Hello Jim,

Now that would certainly score big points with the WAF... 8)

Seriously, I would like to talk over some things with him and find out if we can put something together?
Let me know, Mark

Gordy

« Reply #3 on: 14 Mar 2007, 10:48 pm »
Mark, I like your thinking!  Quite some time ago Jim and I discussed the possibility of him building amplifer chassis's to match my HT-3's. Unfortunately, at the time, the project money ran out (read: I ran out  :lol: ). Now, however, with new mono blocks in the works I would really love to try to work something out again  8)

Gordy

jsalk

« Reply #4 on: 15 Mar 2007, 12:34 am »
Mark -

I talked to my friend Bruce Campbell this afternoon.  He indicated that he would love to work on a project. 

If you can give him an idea of what kind of look you want, he will generate some drawings.  Just email me with what you are thinking.

Once you select a drawing, we can price it out.  Then, either he or I (or both of us) will build it and I will finish it the same as your speakers.

Bruce is a master furniture designer/builder.  My wood-working skills pale in comparison to his.  He's a great guy and is always willing to help and offer advice.  That is why I would love the opportunity to work with him on any "special" project.

In fact, we have often talked about someday perhaps being able to design and build an very high-end home theater.  I could deal with the acoustics and he could handle the aesthetics.  He currently does projects for homes around the country, so it matters little where it is.

- Jim

carusoracer

« Reply #5 on: 15 Mar 2007, 04:02 pm »
Mark -

I talked to my friend Bruce Campbell this afternoon.  He indicated that he would love to work on a project. 

If you can give him an idea of what kind of look you want, he will generate some drawings.  Just email me with what you are thinking.

Once you select a drawing, we can price it out.  Then, either he or I (or both of us) will build it and I will finish it the same as your speakers.

Bruce is a master furniture designer/builder.  My wood-working skills pale in comparison to his.  He's a great guy and is always willing to help and offer advice.  That is why I would love the opportunity to work with him on any "special" project.

In fact, we have often talked about someday perhaps being able to design and build an very high-end home theater.  I could deal with the acoustics and he could handle the aesthetics.  He currently does projects for homes around the country, so it matters little where it is.

- Jim

Thanks Jim,

I will send you a email once we have something firm design wise. We probably will need assistance as I can always see what I like but have a hard time portraying the picture of my mental notes and themes :scratch:

:beer:

jsalk

« Reply #6 on: 15 Mar 2007, 05:34 pm »
Mark -

Thanks Jim,

I will send you a email once we have something firm design wise. We probably will need assistance as I can always see what I like but have a hard time portraying the picture of my mental notes and themes :scratch:

:beer:

Just find some pictures of what you like and we can do some drawings from there.

- Jim

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #7 on: 27 Mar 2007, 02:21 pm »
just dreaming but ....

I would like that bubinga waterfall wood as a dash trim replacement in my new Mazda Miata

if I send the original dash part can he shape to fit? 

jsalk

« Reply #8 on: 27 Mar 2007, 08:34 pm »
just dreaming but ....

I would like that bubinga waterfall wood as a dash trim replacement in my new Mazda Miata

if I send the original dash part can he shape to fit? 

It is certainly possible, but the short answer is no.  It would simply not be stable enough over the long haul. 

I spent some time recently with a dashboard designer for Infiniti and he described the process used.  They start with a form and press about four layers of veneer with a special hot glue layer between each sheet of veneer.  The veneer runs in opposing directions so that the potential movement (with temperature and humidity) is basically canceled out and the hot glue layers bond everything togehter into a cohesive unit. 

The result is extremely dimensionally stable (unlike solid wood).

So it is not just a matter of duplicating the shape, but also creating something that will be very stable dimensionally - which solid wood is not.

An automobile environment would subject the wood to extremes in terms of temperature,  humidity and flexing with the movement of the automobile.  Cracking and warping would eventually result.  Not a good thing for trim.

- Jim

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #9 on: 8 Apr 2007, 01:06 am »
thanks Jim

you didn't even need to dignify my auto wood request
but you thoughtfully did, thanks!

i will think about a home application

thanks, you are the best

Tom