Bryston Owner's Speakers

larevoj

Bryston Owner's Speakers
« on: 16 Mar 2011, 06:17 am »
Hi Guys, I am curious what are the type/brand of speakers Bryston fans match with Bryston electronics and why??  :)

I know many match with PMC for transparency and it seems to have good synergy with Bryston gears. What about Thiel, Proac, KEF, Dynaudio, Spendor, Harbeth, etc. or even 'odd' ones like Duevel Bella Luna Diamante?? Speakers choice is a personal preference but why choose A over B?

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Re: Bryston Owner's Speakers
« Reply #1 on: 16 Mar 2011, 07:11 am »
For me it was the other way around. (Speakers first, amp second)
I wanted Magnepan speakers, and bought Magnepan 3.6s.
So I had read Bryston amps are very good with Maggies, and, lucky for me my Magnepan dealer also sold Brystons.
I auditioned them together, and was pleased enough to also buy the Bryston BP-26 preamp, the Bryston BP 1.5 phono, along with the Bryston 4B-SST2 I had thought to audition.
Speakers: Why? I have owned other dipoles, and like them. The Magnepan 3.6s were the best of everything i want in a speaker.
The Bryston amp sounds good enough. I had a Forte' 4a and the amp had to be at least as good, with more power. The Bryston preamp really is the sleeper IMO. It is transparent. better than the Audio research Sp-15 I own.  Along with the BP 1.5 phono, really great quality sound.

Added: when I say the Bryston amp sounds 'good enough' i am saying I am a fanatic about quality upper frequency response and purity.
So the Bryston 4BSST2 had a tough job to meet my needs. and passed perfectly. I have been working on still improving my hf clarity and finess, and the Bryston has meet the challenge 100% of the way.
So it is more than the average 'good enough'...
Just so you know... :drool:
« Last Edit: 26 May 2011, 10:40 pm by Elizabeth »

myview

« Reply #2 on: 16 Mar 2011, 09:55 am »
I use PMC EB1i bi-amped by 2 x 4BSSTsq.

JohnnyB

« Reply #3 on: 16 Mar 2011, 10:09 am »
B&W 802D, HTM2D

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #4 on: 16 Mar 2011, 12:00 pm »
Since about 50% of the development budget of new loudspeakers goes to the way they look, I built my own. For the same money I have 200% more quality. (I spent about $5000 on each, 10K in total)

mclsound

« Reply #5 on: 16 Mar 2011, 12:48 pm »
I concurrrr
Built my own and the sesitivity at 95db sure was complimented by the 14bsst.
The 28's sure would have sounded nice.

HsvHeelFan

« Reply #6 on: 16 Mar 2011, 01:54 pm »
Well,  I bought my speakers before I bought my Bryston.

My speakers are KEF Q70's paired with a Velodyne sub.  Pre-amp is a Parasound PH-850P.

My system is fairly low budget compared to a lot of the systems here, but I like it and it gives me many hours of musical enjoyment.

The KEF's were a compromise choice between the Mrs. and I.  I would have needed to spend 4x what I paid for the KEF's to get incrementally better sound.  I was seriously considering Thiels as an alternative.

The money spent on the Bryston was the best money I've ever spent.  Mine is a 2001 vintage 4B-ST in Black, no handles.

HsvHeelFan

drummermitchell

« Reply #7 on: 16 Mar 2011, 01:56 pm »

Revel 50a's,as I got them for 1/2 price when the F-52's came out and they sounded superb with no
subwoofer supporting them.
been thinking about auditioning PMC's and the Magnepan 3.7's(might be a tad big in my 12wX20 room).
Powered by Bryston 28's+Torus(s)bringing up the reserve :thumb:.

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #8 on: 16 Mar 2011, 02:44 pm »
I decided to go with the JBL Project Array 1400/28B SST² - BP 26 combination. I had auditioned many speakers over the span of a year and as soon as I heard the JBLs, I remembered thinking “wow, this is certainly different and I like it!” I knew that they were coming home with me that day and I had them driven by my Marantz amplifier. Approximately 6 months later, I purchased my most cherished Beasties and have not looked back. A horn based speaker is my little piece of Nirvana and with the beasties driving them, the music can either be as delicate and fragile as a butterfly landing on a flower’s petal or a freight train roaring past your home. Truly incredible.

Be well… 

Rod_S

« Reply #9 on: 16 Mar 2011, 04:09 pm »
All of my Bryston's have powered Paradigm Reference speakers for years however last month I started the process of changing over to the B&W 800 Series Diamonds. So my change over will involve:

Paradigm Reference Studio 100s v2 -> Bowers and Wilkins 802 Diamonds
Paradigm Reference Studio CC v2 -> Bowers and Wilkins HTM2 Diamond (change all ready complete)
Paradigm Reference Studio ADPs v2 -> Bowers and Wilkins 805 Diamonds
Paradigm Reference Studio 60s v2 -> Bowers and Wilkins 805, 804 or 803 Diamonds (still not sure which)
« Last Edit: 16 Mar 2011, 05:19 pm by Rod_S »

motorcitym3

« Reply #10 on: 16 Mar 2011, 04:19 pm »
I have a Bryston 4B ST pushing Klipsch KLF-30's.  Even though they are 102 db sensitive, the 4 12" woofers need an amp like Bryston to push them to their full potential.  I added a Modwright swl 9.0 tube pre-amp and new cross-overs to tone down the highs.  To me it sounds fantastic...gotta love them horns!!!

Phil A

« Reply #11 on: 16 Mar 2011, 04:43 pm »
I have Thiels in the main system (3.7s as the left and right).  Bryston seems to mate well with the Thiels.

lanchile

« Reply #12 on: 16 Mar 2011, 05:39 pm »
I am using Polk audio RTi-A1 bookshelf speakers with my "small tank" Bryston B60-R.
I love the sound so much that I do not want to change my speakers for now, but in the future I will get better speakers. I do not plan to change my B60 at all!

drummermitchell

« Reply #13 on: 16 Mar 2011, 06:42 pm »
Wouldn't take much to pressure those enclosures up,a Pepsi challenge perhaps :lol:.
I like that.
I did something like that a long time ago,had an old Realistic tape deck that laid flat like a laptop.
She had only one speaker(faceup)so I put a big pickle jar on top of it and was shocked at the improvement it made compared to the thin case it was already in.

Phil A

« Reply #14 on: 16 Mar 2011, 07:11 pm »
Wouldn't take much to pressure those enclosures up,a Pepsi challenge perhaps :lol:.
I like that.
I did something like that a long time ago,had an old Realistic tape deck that laid flat like a laptop.
She had only one speaker(faceup)so I put a big pickle jar on top of it and was shocked at the improvement it made compared to the thin case it was already in.

Actually Sprite works much better than Cola, as it is less colored sound

PierreB

« Reply #15 on: 16 Mar 2011, 10:36 pm »

ProAc Response 1SC. Small but great sound.

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #16 on: 16 Mar 2011, 11:00 pm »
JBL Studio L890s. I got 'em for 1/2 off retail. Great bang for the buck speaker is why.

They were cheap and they're pretty damn good.