Expensive power cables?

RonCH

Expensive power cables?
« on: 27 Jul 2010, 09:11 pm »
Hello,

I've got two 7B SST amps, and my dealer has told me that I'm not getting the most out of them with their standard power cables.  And I should spend several hundred US dollars on a power cable. What's the story here?  I find it hard to believe that Bryston would make these sorts of Amplifiers and fail to provide adequate power cables.  Or am being too incredulous?

Thanks

Ron   

werd

Re: Expensive power cables?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jul 2010, 09:19 pm »
No your dealer is right. How new are your 7Bsst's?. Do they have the new transformers in them? Those new transformers put less of a demand on power cables imo. but aftermarket can still be beneficial for tweaking.

kingdeezie

« Reply #2 on: 27 Jul 2010, 09:20 pm »
This is a topic that will forever be discussed.

I personally feel that power cables do make differences.

I currently use varying levels of Synergistic Research cables with their Powercell 10SE power conditioner; it has all made nice differences.

Demo and hear for yourself.

There are a lot of DIY options that will yeild results, as well as many reasonable priced options that will also make a difference.

RonCH

« Reply #3 on: 27 Jul 2010, 09:33 pm »
No your dealer is right. How new are your 7Bsst's?. Do they have the new transformers in them? Those new transformers put less of a demand on power cables imo. but aftermarket can still be beneficial for tweaking.
They are September 2005 models.  I didn't think you could upgrade mine.

mike678

« Reply #4 on: 27 Jul 2010, 09:39 pm »
Different types/constructions of power cords DO make a "difference". Some cords increase the amplifiers mid/upper bass output a tiny bit, and some reduce it. Sometimes, rarely, there is an effect in the RF region that can poison the rest of the system. Such changes can have a big subjective effect and is a viable way of tweaking a system lacking real EQ or setup abilities.

But, don't go crazy, one can have pretty much any type of response below $300 on power cords; don't bother with 4 gauge $2k cords though. You can either loosen the coupling to the house wiring (smaller, higher inductance cords) or tighten the coupling to the house wireing (larger, lower inductance cords), but you are never going to get any "tighter" than what the 14gauge wiring in the wall will allow.

My testing was done with spectral sweeps and pink noise tests with Bryston amps on a fairly average, not too hard to drive, speaker. All the differences between cords centered around the power supply frequency. I should note that the flattest response into my speaker was with the stock cord. On a really nasty woofer load, the results might have been different. It might be fun to find a really nasty speaker load and redo the tests!

Napalm

« Reply #5 on: 27 Jul 2010, 09:57 pm »
Whoever spends time listening to power cables, please also do measurements so we could understand what these differences are and if they're for the better or worse.

Nap.  :thumb:

werd

« Reply #6 on: 27 Jul 2010, 10:12 pm »
They are September 2005 models.  I didn't think you could upgrade mine.

Thats the one thing i didnt like about the 7B's as opposed to the 14B is that you had to buy two.  :| You just need to somehow try different ones and see what you like.

brucek

« Reply #7 on: 27 Jul 2010, 10:46 pm »
I find it hard to believe that Bryston would make these sorts of Amplifiers and fail to provide adequate power cables.

Thanks

Ron   

I think that statement says it all.

Do you really believe that Bryston has gone to all the trouble to create that expensive amplifier, only to leave it dumbed down because of a few dollars for a power cord?

There is no justification for paying a lot of money for an AC power cord. Granted, some people want to make their own DIY cords in custom lengths, and that's great - go to your local electrical store and buy some Beldon 12/3 power cable and some nice Hubbell plugs and an IEC connector and make your own power cord for under $30. This cord would be overkill, but there's no better functioning cord on the market today.

As long as the power cord is of sufficient gauge to not impede the current flow, you're OK. It would be a waste to use any larger wire for your power cord than is used in the wall back to the loadcenter. In most cases this will be NMD7 #14 gauge for 15 amp, and #12 gauge for 20 amp circuits.

I know it's a fun hobby, but maybe there are better ways to spend money on something for your system that will actually make a difference.

brucek

decal

« Reply #8 on: 27 Jul 2010, 11:03 pm »
my dealer has told me that I'm not getting the most out of them with their standard power cables.  And I should spend several hundred US dollars on a power cable

And I'm sure he had several that he was willing to give you a "great deal" on!!!! :duh:

werd

« Reply #9 on: 27 Jul 2010, 11:04 pm »
I think that statement says it all.

Do you really believe that Bryston has gone to all the trouble to create that expensive amplifier, only to leave it dumbed down because of a few dollars for a power cord?

There is no justification for paying a lot of money for an AC power cord. Granted, some people want to make their own DIY cords in custom lengths, and that's great - go to your local electrical store and buy some Beldon 12/3 power cable and some nice Hubbell plugs and an IEC connector and make your own power cord for under $30. This cord would be overkill, but there's no better functioning cord on the market today.

As long as the power cord is of sufficient gauge to not impede the current flow, you're OK. It would be a waste to use any larger wire for your power cord than is used in the wall back to the loadcenter. In most cases this will be NMD7 #14 gauge for 15 amp, and #12 gauge for 20 amp circuits.

I know it's a fun hobby, but maybe there are better ways to spend money on something for your system that will actually make a difference.

brucek

Hello Bruce

It really depends on how you listen to your stereo. If its just on in the background or if your just using it for parties then i would use the stock cord. But if you like to sit down in front of it and enjoy it's sweet spot. This can be greatly enhanced by auditioning power cables. I have been through tons of cables and i have my tastes. But  cables are made different and do different things. I am not suggesting you spend 1500 bucks on a cable but power cables get really interesting at that price. They are very different than your $400 dollar cables. Cabling out your cd or dac gives the best results imo.

Just using a blanket statement and discrediting power cables isn't real good advice.

Phil A

« Reply #10 on: 27 Jul 2010, 11:08 pm »
This is a topic that will forever be discussed.

I personally feel that power cables do make differences.

I currently use varying levels of Synergistic Research cables with their Powercell 10SE power conditioner; it has all made nice differences.

Demo and hear for yourself.

There are a lot of DIY options that will yeild results, as well as many reasonable priced options that will also make a difference.

I agree, have listened to lots and make my own.  However for someone wanting to know I would not recommend spending tons of money.  The Belden cable is good.  You can go to sites like newark.com and get a Volex cord (make from Belden) that has everything except the plug,  The Newark SKU no. is 93K2637 and the manuf. part no. is 17617.  You can get a Hubbell plug from them too - SKU 32F750, manuf. part no. HBL5266C.  It's not hard to put the plug on.  If you decide there is no difference, you are not out much.  Too many people take a big leap for the first go around and then have spent a lot of money.  It's fine if they like the results and not so good if they don't.

kingdeezie

« Reply #11 on: 27 Jul 2010, 11:11 pm »
Well, if you want to see if cables make a difference, DIY could be a very practical way of getting into it and getting a taste for what is possible.

The Synergistic Research stuff is pricey, but I defintely noticed differences that I thought were worth paying for.

sfraser

« Reply #12 on: 27 Jul 2010, 11:15 pm »
I for one have a hard time understanding how swapping between power cables could effect sound quality ( assuming both are properly spec'd for the amperage etc). In most cases your house is wired with mass produced wire, as is the power grid. How changing out the last 24" effects the sound is beyond me. However if other people feel it does, fill your boots. I would be interested in explanations however.

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #13 on: 27 Jul 2010, 11:18 pm »
I agree. It doesn't make sense to use these aftermarket cables.

Phil A

« Reply #14 on: 27 Jul 2010, 11:19 pm »
I for one have a hard time understanding how swapping between power cables could effect sound quality ( assuming both are properly spec'd for the amperage etc). In most cases your house is wired with mass produced wire, as is the power grid. How changing out the last 24" effects the sound is beyond me. However if other people feel it does, fill your boots. I would be interested in explanations however.

Here's one set of opinions -  http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/powercords.html

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #15 on: 27 Jul 2010, 11:23 pm »
The Pangea power cords at Audio Advisor have all the bells and whistles on them, and are priced so that if simply good looks is what you're after you won't feel cheated, between $25-$90 for normal lengths.  Additionally, Zu Audio has clearance sales on eBay for their power cords pretty much all the time.  As noted above by Mike, I also don't hear big differences using fancy power cords (I have a lot of AC filtering and regulation before I get to the cord), but at those prices, why not give it a go, it will hardly break the bank and they look pretty if nothing else. 

jaxwired

« Reply #16 on: 27 Jul 2010, 11:32 pm »

brucek

Spot on IMO. 

People will hear a difference in any tweak product.  You name it, people will hear it, believe it, buy it, and vehemently defend it.  And why not, they heard the difference with their own ears.  This I do not deny.  I just don't trust their ears or mine for the accuracy and sonic memory required to definitively assess these improvements.  Also, power cords violate my common sense rule.  Never heard any explanation that sounded in the least plausible for power cords. 

And I do listen in the sweet spot.  Entire CDs all the way through.  My system sounds fantastic to me.  I'm happy with it.  I'd venture a guess that satisfaction actually is inversely proportional to the number of hifi tweak products owned.  Just guessing based on the high level of equipment swapping that is so common.

sfraser

« Reply #17 on: 27 Jul 2010, 11:33 pm »
Here's one set of opinions -  http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/powercords.html

Well I see alot of feathers but not much chicken. : ) seriously he did not spill to many beans.

James I am going to put u on the spot (sorry). What has Bryston determined? you have thousands of amps installed all over the world, many in pro installations where considerable sums of money have been spent in the installation process. Has Bryston done any internal testing? Again, if your not comfortable with this topic I understand.

Phil A

« Reply #18 on: 27 Jul 2010, 11:35 pm »
Well I see alot of feathers but not much chicken. : ) seriously he did not spill to many beans.

James I am going to put u on the spot (sorry). What has Bryston determined? you have thousands of amps installed all over the world, many in pro installations where considerable sums of money have been spent in the installation process. Has Bryston done any internal testing? Again, if your not comfortable with this topic I understand.

So you're saying everything tastes like chicken feathers? :green:

Phil A

« Reply #19 on: 27 Jul 2010, 11:36 pm »

That's why I suggested a more modest approach with the first shot (for an upgrade) a few posts back.  It's cheap and if you don't hear a difference why waste any more time or money