Speaker Cable Recommendations

BrysTony

Re: Speaker Cable Recommendations
« Reply #140 on: 22 Oct 2010, 03:04 am »
Must be real snake skin. :rotflmao:

Steve
Tech Flex has a variety of products that will serve this purpose at around $0.50/foot.  Lots of different sizes and colors.  http://www.parts-express.com/wizards/searchResults.cfm?srchExt=Mfg&srchMfg=299&Manufacturer=Techflex

rahman

« Reply #141 on: 22 Oct 2010, 09:17 am »
Hi James

Just wondering what amp/speaker combos you used for listening/development tests of the new cables and what existing speaker cables you may have compared it to.

Cheers
Adrian

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #142 on: 22 Oct 2010, 11:21 am »
Tech Flex has a variety of products that will serve this purpose at around $0.50/foot.  Lots of different sizes and colors.  http://www.parts-express.com/wizards/searchResults.cfm?srchExt=Mfg&srchMfg=299&Manufacturer=Techflex

Thanks for this - we will look into it.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #143 on: 22 Oct 2010, 11:33 am »
Hi James

Just wondering what amp/speaker combos you used for listening/development tests of the new cables and what existing speaker cables you may have compared it to.

Cheers
Adrian

Hi Adrian,

Wow! It seems like there isn’t a cable I haven't tried over the years. Many manufacturers send me cables to try and we have used many different ones at shows over these many years.

The idea with the Bryston speaker cable was I wanted something that made scientific sense given a normal output stage and normal speaker loads but was not a fortune to manufacture and the manufacturing process was very consistent and predictable. In my investigations I was surprise to find how much variation there was from batch to batch when you have cable manufactured to a specific spec.

I am not trying to compete with the more esoteric approaches out there by many cable manufacturers but I wanted something I could recommend with our gear and feel confident that our customers were getting good value and not impeding the performance of their equipment.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #144 on: 25 Oct 2010, 05:43 pm »
Hi Folks,

I was wrong:

Our Bryston speaker cable is 9G not 12.

james

BrysTony

« Reply #145 on: 25 Oct 2010, 06:15 pm »
So each conductor is 12 gauge -- two 12 gauge make the equivalent of 9 gauge.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #146 on: 25 Oct 2010, 06:35 pm »
So each conductor is 12 gauge -- two 12 gauge make the equivalent of 9 gauge.

Correct.

james

VOLKS

« Reply #147 on: 25 Oct 2010, 06:50 pm »
Do you have any close-up photos of it,besides the bulk roll?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #148 on: 25 Oct 2010, 06:58 pm »
Do you have any close-up photos of it,besides the bulk roll?

Will have some this week.

james

1ZIP

« Reply #149 on: 25 Oct 2010, 08:19 pm »
Hi Stu,

Its $9.00 a foot but originally I said $8.00 US on Audiocircle so anyone ordering through Audiocircle gets it for $8.00 for the next month.  Connectors are the same as they have been and installation is free.

james

Through Audiocircle?  How does that work...is there going to be an Ad in Market Place?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #150 on: 25 Oct 2010, 09:36 pm »
Through Audiocircle?  How does that work...is there going to be an Ad in Market Place?

Hi,

No ad - just email me with your order.

james

Stu Pitt

« Reply #151 on: 25 Oct 2010, 10:51 pm »
A stupid question, but I have to ask...

$8 per foot, per side or $8 per foot for a pair?  I've always bought speaker cable in bulk, so please forgive me.

Stephen L

« Reply #152 on: 25 Oct 2010, 11:31 pm »
Hi James,

I changed my order with Melissa, do I get a discount?

Steve

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #153 on: 25 Oct 2010, 11:37 pm »
A stupid question, but I have to ask...

$8 per foot, per side or $8 per foot for a pair?  I've always bought speaker cable in bulk, so please forgive me.

Hi

Per side.

James

PaleRider

« Reply #154 on: 26 Oct 2010, 09:18 am »

Speakercables are the most misunderstod subject in the whole hifi-buisness. Back in the old days of tubes, single-driver speakers & horns you could use allmost anything. But then when the transistor appeared, watts became cheap and speaker-designers went on manipulating w. lots of components in tiny passive filters & ineffective drivers to get "bass out of shoeboxes" like KEF used to announce. Under-motoriced drivers were stucked into cheap small rectangular shoeboxes filled with glass-wool or foam-rubber to make shure there was no sign of real life dynamics left whatsoever.
  No problem, they just "designed" the amps to handle the inefficient filters/speakers. Still using zip-cords for wiring. Stupid fools.

This misleading heritage is still used as the fundament most modern audio-eqipment are designed on, they`re all picking from the same sourche of knowledge.

To get to the point; if there`s one thing that kills the dynamic power from a low utput-impedance SS-amp it`s resistance, even in wery small values. Unlike tube-amps solid state-amps does not "like" cables or passive filters at all. There is one way around this; that`s to simplify passive filters to a minimum and to lower resistance to a minimum by oversizing filtercomponents & speakercables.
   A common mistake here is to belive that a lot of tiny straws will flow the same as one huge tube, or in other words think that you can get away by just multilplying the area of some hundred conductors in a multistrand-wire and end up with a great speakercable; that doesn`t sum up.

If you want to get the best out of your SS-amp theres no way around using thick/huge massive conductors to feed the speakers, and as short as possible.
  What level of thick am I speaking of? Well, fun begins at around 9awg, but double up and it might really start to swing. Btw, about swing; be aware that a thick solid copper needs a real burn-in. Not for weeks but give it some real beating and you will hear it open up within an hour or so.

Johnny2Bad

« Reply #155 on: 26 Oct 2010, 10:13 am »
^^^^^^^

MEMO: To all Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Bryston Speaker Cable

August, 2010

Hi All,

Bryston is pleased to announce the introduction of a Bryston Speaker cable.
The Amplifier/Speaker interface is a 'low impedance' connection. Therefore, in a speaker cable you are looking for low 'self inductance' (because inductance rolls off the top end) as opposed to 'low capacitance' required in the RCA or XLR analogue interconnect....
A speaker cable should have very low series resistance (R), and series inductance (L), while shunt capacitance (C), is relatively unimportant in this low impedance, high current application. Shielding is almost a non-issue in speaker cables as signal levels are very large and circuit impedances very low. ... The Bryston speaker cable utilizes Four 12-gauge multi-strand conductors of OFC copper with advanced insulation. ... The SC4 employs twisted combined opposing conductors (red and white) to positive and black/gray) to negative for very low self inductance. Also the cable can easily be configured for utilization in Bi-Wired applications.  ...
Regards,
James Tanner,
Bryston, Ltd
That's interesting; it's almost exactly the way I went when I built my DIY speaker cables about 6 years ago. I went for low inductance (via the geometry) and resistance (appropriate cable choice) and let the capacitance fall where it may, although I did make an effort to choose a low capacitance cable to begin with. I ended up with a 4-conductor braid of 16GA Mil-Spec multistrand silver-coated OFC copper with teflon dielectric; net 13 GA, 5 feet per side, for a 40 wpc amplifier.

Vipers

« Reply #156 on: 26 Oct 2010, 03:32 pm »
Hi James,

Is it possible you could send an order to me over in the UK?

I'd love to give your new cable a try on my new 7B's that are on a boat heading my way and my MB2i's that are being built at PMC at the moment.

One question, my Bryston rack sits to one side of my speakers, so one speaker is 4 meters away and the other is 1 meter away, I take it I'd be better off ordering 2 x 4 meter lengths?

Thanks.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #157 on: 26 Oct 2010, 03:47 pm »
Hi James,

Is it possible you could send an order to me over in the UK?

I'd love to give your new cable a try on my new 7B's that are on a boat heading my way and my MB2i's that are being built at PMC at the moment.

One question, my Bryston rack sits to one side of my speakers, so one speaker is 4 meters away and the other is 1 meter away, I take it I'd be better off ordering 2 x 4 meter lengths?

Thanks.

Hi Vipers,

Yes you would normally try to keep the lengths the same.

We are sending PMC some sample cables this week.

james

Vipers

« Reply #158 on: 26 Oct 2010, 04:55 pm »
Hi Vipers,

Yes you would normally try to keep the lengths the same.

We are sending PMC some sample cables this week.

james

Cheers James, I'll get in touch with them and hopefully sort out what I need.

Napalm

« Reply #159 on: 27 Oct 2010, 04:23 pm »
[...] and my MB2i's that are being built at PMC at the moment.

I've heard they plan to sneak a complimentary pair of these inside, they love music too:

But don't even think of opening the case to "upgrade" the internal wiring /crossover /whatever.

Nap.  :green: