Vinyl Thoughts

Ryanz

Vinyl Thoughts
« on: 7 Jun 2010, 02:24 am »
I've been tossing around the idea of purchasing a turntable. However, I have never acctually heard one. I will be testing one in a couple of weeks. Is there a big difference between vinyl and CD? Any recommended brands, accessories?

Napalm

Re: Vinyl Thoughts
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jun 2010, 02:28 am »
I've been tossing around the idea of purchasing [...]

OMG you promised me something..... 6 months....

Nap.  :thumb:

werd

« Reply #2 on: 7 Jun 2010, 02:32 am »
why don't you make it 9 months and have a baby together....  :lol:

Ryanz

« Reply #3 on: 7 Jun 2010, 02:37 am »
OMG you promised me something..... 6 months....

Damn! You're right! :oops:

Napalm

« Reply #4 on: 7 Jun 2010, 02:44 am »
Now seriously. If you never had one then there's not much to miss. Some people grew up with their sound and/or have large collections of vinyl. Nostalgia + the need to have something to play those records will keep them busy with a turntable. I'd say go to an audio dealer and have a demo first.

Nap.

Ryanz

« Reply #5 on: 7 Jun 2010, 02:59 am »
Alright. I'll demo and decide.  :rock:

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #6 on: 7 Jun 2010, 05:34 am »
Yeah, compare at the dealer. I prefer vinyl myself, but that's me. I also think there's a big difference. Vinyl sounds more lively and more like real instruments.

As far as gear goes, in the $500-$1000 range, you can't beat the Technics 1210M5G (still made in Japan, not China.) Above that, I would personally recommend Clearaudio (made in Germany.)

But there's a lot of good companies; Rega, SME, Oracle, VPI, SOTA, etc.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #7 on: 7 Jun 2010, 11:17 am »
The BIG issue with getting back into vinyl is: What is the local supply of LPs?
IF you live in or near a major metro area and they have a bunch of used LP stores, you are lucky, and can go foward with interest in a turntable.
IF you live far from a major city, and NO local drivable used LP stores.. then you should think again about what it will cost to buy LPs, and whether it is worth the trouble to start into a format that is tough to enter without local stuff available.
I can go to four good local used LP places and do every week or two. Great for my collecting LPs. Folks who have to buy LPs from the internet: you can buy new. Expensive and you get a lot of warped stuff you have to return, then buying used is a blind deal, yo have to find a reputable seller, and those charge more money for LPs.
So consider where you are gonna BUY LPs and find out if it is worthwhile BEFORE you buy a TT.

BrysTony

« Reply #8 on: 7 Jun 2010, 01:16 pm »
The BIG issue with getting back into vinyl is: What is the local supply of LPs?
IF you live in or near a major metro area and they have a bunch of used LP stores, you are lucky, and can go foward with interest in a turntable.
IF you live far from a major city, and NO local drivable used LP stores.. then you should think again about what it will cost to buy LPs, and whether it is worth the trouble to start into a format that is tough to enter without local stuff available.
I can go to four good local used LP places and do every week or two. Great for my collecting LPs. Folks who have to buy LPs from the internet: you can buy new. Expensive and you get a lot of warped stuff you have to return, then buying used is a blind deal, yo have to find a reputable seller, and those charge more money for LPs.
So consider where you are gonna BUY LPs and find out if it is worthwhile BEFORE you buy a TT.

I like what Elizabeth has to say.  I have about 300 LPs and all but two of them were bought before 1985.  Here is a quote from what I put on Facebook a couple of weeks ago, "has been listening to some old LPs on my 40 year old turntable. I can't believe how good that old vinyl sounds...".  That is the truth but I'm not sure that I would start over with vinyl -- do the research first before you make your decision.
Tony

95Dyna

« Reply #9 on: 7 Jun 2010, 01:20 pm »
I've been tossing around the idea of purchasing a turntable. However, I have never acctually heard one. I will be testing one in a couple of weeks. Is there a big difference between vinyl and CD? Any recommended brands, accessories?

Hi Ryanz,

I just finished a year long evaluation and IMO the best value going in a TT now is the VPI Classic.  If you don't believe that consider it takes about 2 months to get one now unless you luck out and run in to a cancellation somewhere.  I recieved mine last week paired with a Benz Micro Wood SL to replace my circa 1975 Thorens TD160.  You can pair it with a sub $1K cartridge with fantastic results e.g. Dynavector 20X, Benz ACE, several Grados.  You won't have to spend money on isolation products as the table and platter are built like a tank.  Be aware, however that there are placement considerations.  The table is 22.5" wide and weighs in the neighborhood of 60 lbs.

BTW, the president of VPI has stated publicly that this is perhaps the best TT he has ever created which is saying something from a company made famous by the HX and various iterations of the Scout and Scoutmaster.

Happy shopping.  Analog is alot of fun and is really a hobby within a hobby.

Bill

Napalm

« Reply #10 on: 7 Jun 2010, 01:40 pm »
 :idea: Vinyl DSP control for the BDP-1. Hiss, rumble, crackle, pops, feedback, equalization to make it sound like the real thing. I'll even add a "warp" control to let you simulate a warped record (as warped as you want; err no that would be the Platinum edition only, sorry guys).

Nap.   :icon_twisted:

1ZIP

« Reply #11 on: 7 Jun 2010, 06:28 pm »
Before you reject vinyl out of hand spend some time on one of the other Circles that are dedicated to all things vinyl.  I have a P-3 that is adequate and I use it mostly for classical recordings.  Vinyl does have its own set of drawbacks to be sure.  It's just another method of reproducing music.  With regards to availability of LPs it's far less than what it use to be.  However, there are several very good online retailers with decent selections.  So, before you believe all the nay sayers do some research and some listening and then decide for yourself. You may like the sound.  The worst your going to be is more informed, as opposed to some.

Napalm

« Reply #12 on: 7 Jun 2010, 06:33 pm »
This naysayer here used to own a pair of turntables and assorted paraphernalia for some 12 years. He ain't missing them.

95Dyna

« Reply #13 on: 7 Jun 2010, 06:46 pm »
Before you reject vinyl out of hand spend some time on one of the other Circles that are dedicated to all things vinyl.  I have a P-3 that is adequate and I use it mostly for classical recordings.  Vinyl does have its own set of drawbacks to be sure.  It's just another method of reproducing music.  With regards to availability of LPs it's far less than what it use to be.  However, there are several very good online retailers with decent selections.  So, before you believe all the nay sayers do some research and some listening and then decide for yourself. You may like the sound.  The worst your going to be is more informed, as opposed to some.

Well said 1ZIP.  I was thinking the same thing when I posted earlier but didn't say anything fearing Ryanz's thread would deteriorate into a beside the point pissing contest as often happens here.  I feel certain Ryanz was looking for some advice about getting into vinyl and not to be talked out of it.  You're a better man than I for making this point :thumb:.

Napalm

« Reply #14 on: 7 Jun 2010, 07:13 pm »
[...] pissing contest [...]

Oh yea? He was advised to:

- go for an audition
- check availability of supplies

These are valid no matter what you want to buy, turntable or SACD player or whatever. How's that "pissing contest"?

Nap.  :scratch:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #15 on: 7 Jun 2010, 07:22 pm »
I think we should all post pictures of ourselves to see if we actually look like how we write :icon_lol:

james

Napalm

« Reply #16 on: 7 Jun 2010, 07:41 pm »

Nap.  :flame:

1ZIP

« Reply #17 on: 7 Jun 2010, 07:47 pm »

- go for an audition

These are valid no matter what you want to buy, turntable or SACD player or whatever. How's that "pissing contest"?

It seems you have taken a couple of posts personally, that's unfortunate and unintended.  If it will  make you feel better consider for a moment that perhaps everything is not about you.:D

James; Nice try. :D

Napalm

« Reply #18 on: 7 Jun 2010, 08:02 pm »

:angel:

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #19 on: 7 Jun 2010, 08:07 pm »

- go for an audition

Yeah, I don't get it either.