Martin Logan Review CLX's

danman

Re: ML CLX's
« Reply #100 on: 8 Jun 2009, 01:54 pm »
Yes Velodyne is great. Actually there are a lot of great subs out there as the market is quite competetive. I would like to really have a chance to listen to JL but like I said, I believe they are not really established here in Canada as I di not see a distributor.

That's great James, I have met Claude once before and yes a fantastic character! It is always nice to go into these types of hi-fi shops that still value the customer. Definately would be a place I would buy from I would just have to drive there and pick up my stuff but it is 11 hours away! I just don't want to take up too much of his time knowing that I won't be bringing them back on the plane.................I would have to strap them to the wings anyways!!! :wink:

werd

« Reply #101 on: 8 Jun 2009, 04:38 pm »
Hi James

I am assuming that you will be using two subs.  Will you be trying to couple a sub with each speaker or are you more interested in off axis placemnt of your subs?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #102 on: 8 Jun 2009, 04:43 pm »
Hi James

I am assuming that you will be using two subs.  Will you be trying to couple a sub with each speaker or are you more interested in off axis placemnt of your subs?

Martin Logan has recommended 1 given my room size but knowing how obsessed with symmetry I am,   I'm leaning towards 2.

James

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #103 on: 8 Jun 2009, 04:52 pm »
would you suggest the Velodyne over the Desent i?

James, Good morning.

Given your CLX's have a pre-set position on the Desent i selector knob I would think they would be a natural. I still favor the use of EQ / Room correction software, whether it be Velodynes or other mfgs.

FWIW, in my set-up (M/L Spire's) I'm using a Velodyne DD-15, which is servo based 15" sub with the built in SMS. It's crossed over @ 65Hz with a 24 degree db slope. I will not make claims that Velodyne is the greatest sub out their (Dan, I think you are probably correct in your JL thinking) but I do firmly believe that Velodyne represents and excellent value and I can attest to it's synergy with M/L !

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the info.. I have friend who has 2 large Velodynes with his MG20.1's and they work great.  I just found out the Descent i has a specific CLX filter board for an additional cost.

james

danman

« Reply #104 on: 8 Jun 2009, 05:04 pm »
I agree with your choice of two because I would think it would be much easier to dial them in with Electrostatics than only one!

Most of the time, all the people you read about using subs always use 2 when they can and I would imagine the results would be fantastic!

I wonder how that CLX filter works? Looking forward to your thoughts when you get them.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #105 on: 8 Jun 2009, 10:18 pm »
OK after a long discussion with Martin Logan's resident setup expert today I have decided to order 2 of the Depth i subs plus the CLX crossover adapter boards instead of the Descent i's.

http://www.us.martinlogan.com/speaker_intro/depth_i.html

Given my room size and layout this appears to be the best option for integrating the panels to the subs.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #106 on: 9 Jun 2009, 03:46 am »
Gee's I just noticed the Depth i does not have a balanced in. So maybe back to the Descents?

james

danman

« Reply #107 on: 9 Jun 2009, 12:41 pm »
I wish I had those decisions to make!

Of course you want balanced. Go for the big boys!

Moon Doggy

« Reply #108 on: 9 Jun 2009, 07:31 pm »
A musical sub should not be asked to perform beyond the middle of the second octave and if one does bring it up that high you had better get it out of the way with a good steep slope.

Great advice, thx. Wish I knew that before I sold my sub to my son :duh:

twitch54

« Reply #109 on: 9 Jun 2009, 11:46 pm »
Gee's I just noticed the Depth i does not have a balanced in. So maybe back to the Descents?

james

James, are balanced IC's that important ? Is it fair to assume you will be connecting them to a second pair of outputs from your preamp ?

FWIW, in my system I'm running a pair of single ended IC's from the second pair of outputs on my ARC LS-26 to my DD-15, a distance of 18 feet. No interference at all.

werd

« Reply #110 on: 9 Jun 2009, 11:49 pm »

james

James, are balanced IC's that important ? Is it fair to assume you will be connecting them to a second pair of outputs from your preamp ?

FWIW, in my system I'm running a pair of single ended IC's from the second pair of outputs on my ARC LS-26 to my DD-15, a distance of 18 feet. No interference at all.

Might have something to do with his 10b. I was thinking the same thing.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #111 on: 9 Jun 2009, 11:59 pm »

james

Hi Guys

Yes I was thinking if I had the balanced option I could fiddle with the comparison between the built in crossovers in the subs and the 10B.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #112 on: 12 Jun 2009, 04:19 pm »
Hi danman

My return PM messages are not working - email me at jamestanner@bryston.com

james

werd

« Reply #113 on: 12 Jun 2009, 07:47 pm »
This is claim made me laugh, off of the Martin Logan homepage. Its a question answered by Jim Power regarding customer service

Describe some of your most memorable service calls.
JP: One of my favorite memories is a call I took from a woman who had a bit of a party while her husband who was out of town. She had blown the woofers on his Monoliths and was mortified. I overnight shipped two replacement woofers and stayed on the phone while she replaced them herself, mostly for moral support. It worked. He never knew. I received a dozen roses the next day.

danman

« Reply #114 on: 13 Jun 2009, 01:36 am »
Yes.......Jim Power is the equivalent of James Tanner of Bryston! They both go way beyond their call of duty!

I personally don't believe this is something you just do, it is something your are! Some will also say they are just doing thier jobs but we all know it is more than that. :D

1oldguy

« Reply #115 on: 15 Jun 2009, 10:33 pm »
I am wondering if anyone has tried the 7B with 802D's.Thoughts opinions?

Jungle Jack

Re: Martin Logan Review CLX's
« Reply #116 on: 20 Aug 2009, 01:45 pm »
Hello,
James, did you end up sticking with dual Depth i's?  Or go with dual Descent i's due to them offering XLR connections.  I have an original Depth and absolutely love it.  Utterly amazing considering its size.
Cheers,
JJ

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #117 on: 20 Aug 2009, 02:22 pm »
Hello,
James, did you end up sticking with dual Depth i's?  Or go with dual Descent i's due to them offering XLR connections.  I have an original Depth and absolutely love it.  Utterly amazing considering its size.
Cheers,
JJ

Hi JJ,

No I ended up using 2 of the Thiel SS-2 subs.

james

drummermitchell

« Reply #118 on: 20 Aug 2009, 08:08 pm »
Hi James,SS-2,I e-mailed an audio store out east to inquire about the SS-2.
His words were that you could only get the SS-1 in Canada,something to do with CSA,hmmmm :roll:..I would surely like your comments on the SS-2s when you can.I take it you bought in Toronto or somewhere else in Canada,Thanks.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #119 on: 20 Aug 2009, 09:54 pm »
Hi James,SS-2,I e-mailed an audio store out east to inquire about the SS-2.
His words were that you could only get the SS-1 in Canada,something to do with CSA,hmmmm :roll:..I would surely like your comments on the SS-2s when you can.I take it you bought in Toronto or somewhere else in Canada,Thanks.

Hi Don,

I bought them from Thiel directly in the USA.

james